PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Seniority

747-400 F/O
5th Sep 2002, 06:04
Just an off-shoot from another post. Why does DJ not have a seniority list. It seems to keep it all fair and even in other companies. I know where I stand in mine and can roughly plan aead.

Are the DJ drivers happy with the current system.

Good to see DJ going, but a seniority for the troops would be a good idea hey?

I have heard some horror stories from a few of the guys about seniority with commands, and especially things like who ferries aircraft etc.

AlbertRoss
5th Sep 2002, 06:31
I agree, and I believe most others do too, that senioirty would be a good idea. However, ours is an autocratic, rather than a democratic workplace and as such I won't be holding my breath waiting for a senioity number (apart from the one that got me my leather jacket in time for winter !)

Z Force
5th Sep 2002, 06:48
I heard they were vinyl jackets because they were cheaper.

Whiskery
5th Sep 2002, 08:00
A seniority number will not prevent more experienced pilots getting upgraded before the less experienced pilots in the Company.

Whilst it may be a little frustrating for an F/O that joined the Company in August 2001 with a couple of hundred hours on Dash 8's sees another F/O who joined in August 2002 with 1500 hours 737 time get the Command. That's what it's all about, who is more qualified to fill the seat, not who has been in the Company the longest.

I do believe, however, that a seniority list should be available in the event of retrenchments.

747-400 F/O
5th Sep 2002, 09:48
Whiskery have you ever heard the saying "Don't judge a pilot on his 'experience' but by his performance.

In other words you could have 2,000 on a 737 and another could have no 737 time but good time no less, and could be flying rings around the 737 guy in both performance and command technique. Does that really make sense?

However, all the guys at DJ joined knowing that fact. Just a shame thats all. It opens a whole door of "sucking up to the boss" etc.

CaptCloudbuster
5th Sep 2002, 10:58
Whiskery

" Whilst it may be a little frustrating for an F/O that joined the Company in August 2001 with a couple of hundred hours on Dash 8's sees another F/O who joined in August 2002 with 1500 hours 737 time get the Command. That's what it's all about, who is more qualified to fill the seat"

:rolleyes: BULLSHI$!!!!:rolleyes:

What about the capts in this coyboy outfit with 500 hrs jet FO "experience" and their biggest claim to fame J32 command time??

one-ball
5th Sep 2002, 11:50
does that make me a cowboy? I have a 737 command and I came from a Metro background, after only a year on turbines.

If it does, who cares? Not me.

Sorry to tell you but flying Boeing's "Light Twin" really isn't that hard.

positivegee
5th Sep 2002, 14:10
Whiskery,

Your suggestion "I do believe, however, that a seniority list should be available in the event of retrenchments." Is already a part of common law.

Employees must be retrenched on a "last on first off" basis unless the employee is contracted otherwise.

Regards.

sprucegoose
6th Sep 2002, 00:08
I thought that system of dismissal was outlawed or is that only in relation to AWA's? Hmmm........Confused now.

Boeing Belly
6th Sep 2002, 00:16
I think you'll find that under Australian law "seniority" as such is illegal. Advacement is based on "experience, qualifications and merit". It all depends on how an individual company define such criteria. The "seniority" debate raged on for years at Ansett. It was complicated by the fact that in '89 new-hires varied from Cathay/Gulf Air/Emirates Captains to GA piston engine pilots. From late '90 the vast majority of new guys were of similar experience so promotion was effectively "datal" ie "seniority".

Hugh Jarse
6th Sep 2002, 08:50
A couple of years ago, when that scumbag Reith decided to strip back awards, unions were permitted to keep a certain number (can't remember, 10 or 12, something like that) of conditions in their award.

When we negotiated our last EBA, we managed to keep seniority as one of those points.

VB came along long after that. Unless it was negotiated at the outset, I suggest that seniority is not applicable.

Seniority itself is not illegal if contained within a current award.

amos2
6th Sep 2002, 10:03
Hmmm!....how times have changed!!...what a pity! :(