PDA

View Full Version : Pilot: Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. ATC: Are you declaring an emergency?

RickNRoll
22nd Apr 2024, 12:58
https://youtu.be/u88OZrltEFs?t=129

:E

Must be one of you guys out there were a part that conversation.

ATC Watcher
22nd Apr 2024, 16:05
yep. Phraseology training and the US vs the rest of the world once again . But to be fair , it does not really matter much in this case., did not change the outcome at all.

oicur12.again
22nd Apr 2024, 19:08
“Are you declaring an emergency “?

The only rational response would be “ I just did”.

Zeus
23rd Apr 2024, 10:51
A few years ago on the Atlantic I heard a British aircraft declare a Mayday on 121.5, using all the correct terminology. They stated that they had lost two hydraulic systems and had been unable to contact Gander to declare a Mayday and that an immediate diversion was required. The distress aircraft was asking "All Stations" for a relay of their Mayday, but before they could complete their distress message a deep Southern accent growled "You are on guard!" and blocked their transmission. "Affirmative", responded the distress aircraft only to be blocked again by the Guard Police with "You are on guard".:rolleyes:

Salto
23rd Apr 2024, 17:50
... but before they could complete their distress message a deep Southern accent growled "You are on guard!" and blocked their transmission. "Affirmative", responded the distress aircraft only to be blocked again by the Guard Police with "You are on guard".:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I have heard such conversations a few times. But this response was brilliant: "Idiots on 121.50 shut up, this is an intentional call! Break-break: Station calling, please say again..."

A320 Glider
24th Apr 2024, 14:05
Kelsey is a legend.
I wonder if he browses PPRuNe?

Gordomac
26th Apr 2024, 08:18
Strange but there seems to be a marked reluctance to declare using correct phraseology. Heard a nice story about KLM (I think), inbound to LHR requesting "priority approach & landing". Excellent, very professional discussion ensued with LHR ATC quietly directing other folk out of the way while tech issues discussed. KLM, at last, on final approach said; "Er, just to be sure - Mayda Mayday Mayday-". Yeah, you all know how it goes.