PDA

View Full Version : CX Tattoo policy

Wesely
20th Apr 2024, 13:15
Hi everyone! May I ask if I have a tattoo on my forearm (which can be covered by a long-sleeved uniform). Will I be able to pass the Cadet test?
Because I noticed that over 99% of CX pilots and those cadet pilots training in Australia are wearing short-sleeved uniforms all the time.
I doubt that if they provide and allow me wearing a long-sleeved to cover it.

It would be lovely if you guys can give me some suggestion!

Cheers!

G Merch
21st Apr 2024, 04:22
Long sleeves are an option with the uniform, and there are several pilots who wear long sleeves due to forearm tattoos.
Your best bet would be to apply, and ask for further information upon contact with recruiting department.

Wesely
21st Apr 2024, 06:31
Thank you for your reply. I am having the interview next month and I might ask them once I got the conditional offer.

cheers mate!

Long sleeves are an option with the uniform, and there are several pilots who wear long sleeves due to forearm tattoos.
Your best bet would be to apply, and ask for further information upon contact with recruiting department.

Gordomac
21st Apr 2024, 07:56
Aaaaaah. Maybe this is why I never got into CX. Mine says "Hi, my name is gordomac, Have a nice day."

Wesely
21st Apr 2024, 08:13
lol what do u mean ?

Aaaaaah. Maybe this is why I never got into CX. Mine says "Hi, my name is gordomac, Have a nice day."

intheblack
3rd May 2024, 15:20

I have seen a several videos from Captain Obet on youtube who is a CX Captain.
I do see that some of the pilots from CX wear a long sleeve uniform.
Just wondering whether you are stating the above point from your experience working in Cathay?

FlexibleResponse
4th May 2024, 10:27
In the old days it was normal for Ockers to wear short sleeve shirts and most of the Poms to wear long sleeves.

Wesely
4th May 2024, 10:35
In the old days it was normal for Ockers to wear short sleeve shirts and most of the Poms to wear long sleeves.

what do mean by Ockers and Poms?

AQIS Boigu
4th May 2024, 12:09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocker

meleagertoo
4th May 2024, 12:24
They're both nicknames for Australians.
Ocker is a corruption of Australian, Pome (pronounced pommy) is an acronym for Prisoners Of Mother England, nowadays shortened to pom. (because the original Ockers were all deported felons.)
Some Ockers are so embarrassed by their origins that they like to pretend that pom refers to all British, not just the crims.

Right20deg
4th May 2024, 16:12
Royal Navy " Fishhead " pilots often sported forces tattoos. Likewise ex Lightning pilots from the 70s and 80s with squadron tattoos. Short sleeves were impressive. Laser removal was not encouraged. They were there to admire.

BuzzBox
4th May 2024, 22:03
They're both nicknames for Australians.
Ocker is a corruption of Australian, Pome (pronounced pommy) is an acronym for Prisoners Of Mother England, nowadays shortened to pom. (because the original Ockers were all deported felons.)
Some Ockers are so embarrassed by their origins that they like to pretend that pom refers to all British, not just the crims.

The term “Pom” is not a nickname for Australians. It’s used by Australians as a slang term for English people, and not because they are supposedly embarrassed by their origins (which they’re definitely not). The Australian National University’s School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics has an interesting history of the term. Note the “POME” theory is incorrect.

Pom

A British person, especially one from England. (Originally applied to an immigrant from the British Isles.) The word pom has its origin in wordplay. An early, derisory term for an immigrant in Australia was the rhyming slang jimmygrant (sometimes written as Jimmy Grant), recorded in 1844. Jimmygrant was further abbreviated in the 1870s to jimmy:

1878 Australian Town & Country Journal (Sydney) 6 July: The country was worth living in, not like it is now, overstocked with ‘jimmies’—a lot of useless trash.

By 1912 another rhyming slang term for ‘immigrant’ had appeared: pomegranate(also written as pommygranate and Pommy Grant). In the same year the first evidence for two abbreviations of pomegranate—pom and pommy—can also be found. Pomegranate (along with its variants) and jimmygrant coexisted for some time:

1912 Truth (Sydney) 22 December: Now they call ’em ‘Pomegranates’ and the Jimmygrants don’t like it.

1916 W.C. Watson The Memoirs of a Ship’s Fireman: As I hailed from the Old Dart, I of course, in their estimation, was an immigrant, hence the curl up of the lip. But ‘pommygrant’ or ‘jimmygrant’, they always had a helping hand for me.

Eventually the term pomegranate replaced jimmygrant, and later was itself replaced by the abbreviations pom and pommy:

1920 H.J. Rumsey Pommies (Introduction): The title that I have selected for the book: ‘The Pommies’ is now a common name for recent arrivals from Britain. During the last few weeks, I have scores of times heard the Prince of Wales affectionately described as a ‘dear little pommy’.

1923 Bulletin (Sydney) 12 July: It was a Pommy bloke wot put me wise. I was in Snotty Padger’s bar one day ’Avin’ a quiet couple wiv the flies When Pom. lobs in.

1984 B. Dixon Searching for Aboriginal Languages: The weatherbeaten, red faces of the cattlemen sitting on stools around the bar all slowly swivelled and surveyed me. ‘Pommy!’ ejaculated one of them. I was made to feel that no one had ever asked for a gin and tonic in that pub before.

2013 Courier-Mail (Brisbane) 29 July: The birth of a future King of England is nice for the Poms and Anglophiles but it has no relevance on who will be a future president of the republic of Australia.

There are a number of incorrect theories about the origin of pom. The most common suggests it is an acronym for Prisoner of Mother England, variously described as being stamped on convict clothing or scratched on the walls of prison cells by convicts. There is no evidence whatever to support this notion.

Today the use of pom and pommy to refer to an English person is common and widespread. These words can be used with good humour or in a derogatory way, but at the core they still imply a degree of ‘us and them’ mentality. The term whingeing pom, first recorded in 1962, embodies this. It refers to an English person, especially a migrant, who is regarded as a habitual complainer.

​​​​​​​1967 Canberra Times 31 March: Many English people are castigated as ‘whinging Poms’, and it behoves Mr Crawford to pack his bags and go if life in Australia is so distasteful.

2014 Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 20 September (Home Supplement): He became an Australian citizen in his second year. ‘I decided early on I would never be a whingeing Pom and we were convinced that living here was brilliant’, he says.

https://slll.cass.anu.edu.au/centres/andc/meanings-origins/p#:~:text=pom,Grant)%2C%20recorded%20in%201844.

Captain Dart
4th May 2024, 22:14
From Bazza McKenzie, I think:

I was strolling along the Earl's Court Road, as into a pub I was lured,
'Where are you from?' said a nosey Pom, as I downed the amber fluid.
I told him straight, 'I'm from Australia, mate, and I'm here to get myself plastered.
But the beer's crook, and the women all look,
Like you, you Pommy bastard!'

Disclaimer: 'Pommy bastard' is usually a term of affection.

controlledrest
5th May 2024, 03:30
Don't worry about it and don't mention it at the interview. Most applicants wear suits with long sleeve shirts. Do the same. The Dr will see them at the medial. I can't see it being an issue.

Frank W. Abagnale
5th May 2024, 05:50
As long as you don't have 'Fu%$ Cathay' tattooed on your dick it should be fine.

Captain Dart
5th May 2024, 06:23
As long as you don't have 'Fu%$ Cathay' tattooed on your dick it should be fine.

Luckily for me the company Medical wasn’t that thorough in my day.

Trinity 09L
5th May 2024, 10:19
thread drift.
POM is also an abbreviation for Prisoner of Millbank, where prisoners were collected for transportation, latterly arriving down under.