PDA

View Full Version : CAA Exam Rule Changes

Alex Whittingham
23rd Jan 2001, 14:43
The pass rules have been changed for the CAA exams as well as for the JAA exams. In summary:

1.You no longer have to pass half the papers to get a 'partial pass', what you pass you keep.

2. All the exams must be passed within 18 months from the date of the first sitting (not the first pass).

3. You get four attempts at each paper before you have to re-sit the whole group.

4. You don't have to sit all failed papers at the same sitting.

There is no sign of movement yet on the June cut-off for the last CAA exams, watch this space?

RVR800
23rd Jan 2001, 15:53
Yes and the 36 month rule starts from
the date of the full pass and not the
partial

SEE THE LATEST FCL POLICY SHIFT AT

http://www.srg.caa.co.uk
/documents/srg_fcl_PolicyUpdate12012001.pdf

...policy on the hoof

The next change may be that there are no more changes ..

TooHotToFly
23rd Jan 2001, 22:25
You only get 6 sittings in all though - if you haven't passed them all after six visits to the exam room then you need to start again.

PA38
23rd Jan 2001, 22:33
"You only get 6 sittings in all though - if you haven't passed them all after six visits to the exam room then you need to start again."

Or give up and/or sack your instructor!!!! :)

scroggs
24th Jan 2001, 00:28
Alex,
thanks, mate. Very kind of you to keep us up to date with developments. I wonder if I could persuade you to do us a really big favour: it would be tremendous if someone with your encyclopaedic knowledge of the system could precis the requirements of the JAA ATPL, and the various options of how to achieve it. This would be something we could place in the archives for reference, and I could refer to when I'm a bit out of my depth! Not that asking you in public adds any pressure..... Oh, and Tristars are lovely, honest!!

rolling circle
24th Jan 2001, 02:18
RVR800 - I dislike FCL as much as the next man but, in all fairness, this policy change was nothing to do with them. Just like all of the cr@p coming out of the EU, the UK authorities have absolutely no choice in the matter.

Incidentally, all those of you flying aeroplanes with the fuel gauges calibrated in pounds - Be Afraid.....Be Very Afraid!!

Europe says "jump", the only choice we now have is to ask "how high?" - Makes you proud to be British doesn't it, Tony?

sd
24th Jan 2001, 03:22
In the good old days (CAA ATPL), a partial pass, Nav or Tech, was safe and in the bag once you had passed that module. Under JAA, as I understand things still to be, If you pass module 1 then fail a subject in module two, 3 (now 4)times you have to re-sit module two AND one again. Is this still the case?
Seems a bit unfair that an ill conceived and badly presented subject like law can scupper your chances, even if you have 80-90%in all other 13 subjects!!

[This message has been edited by sd (edited 23 January 2001).]

Whirlybird
26th Jan 2001, 03:20
Thanks Alex, that's good to know. I assume it's the same for the CPL(H). If so, the last I heard you had to get a partial pass by June 2001. Is that still the case, or has it changed? And I hear a rumour there may be an extension past the end of 2001 for rotary pilots; have you heard anything on that?

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

helimutt
26th Jan 2001, 13:23
The CPL (H) exams do need a partial pass by the end of June this year to stay on that system. That is if the rules don't change again. At present, the old exam system is in place to December but I have heard of no change to that yet. There wasn't a syllabus for CPL(H) under JAR yet but the old exam system and new JAR flying course are used now I think. Wait until next year and you might not have to learn morse!