PDA

View Full Version : CFM56 VS CFM LEAP

Jamowie48
12th Apr 2024, 19:04
Hello,
apologies if this has already been posted, I am new to the site, can't seem to find much.

What are the main differences between the CFM56 and the CFM Leap engines?

I know that the leaps have composite fan blades. Am I right in thinking that the Leap engines use a fuel metering unit which utilises stepper motors and other electronic devices to monitor fuel flow, as opposed to the 56s which use the conventional hydro mechanical unit?
Can't seem to find a definitive answer online.

Thank you!

tdracer
12th Apr 2024, 21:58
Hello,
apologies if this has already been posted, I am new to the site, can't seem to find much.

What are the main differences between the CFM56 and the CFM Leap engines?

I know that the leaps have composite fan blades. Am I right in thinking that the Leap engines use a fuel metering unit which utilises stepper motors and other electronic devices to monitor fuel flow, as opposed to the 56s which use the conventional hydro mechanical unit?
Can't seem to find a definitive answer online.

Thank you!
You need to be more specific than "CFM56" as there are (at least) 3 different versions in commercial service - the -3 (737-3/4/500), -5 (A320 series) and -7 (737-6/7/8/900NG)(the -2 version is used on the KC-135 re-engine, and to re-engine some DC-8s, although I don't know that those re-engined DC-8s are still flying in commercial service).
Of those, only the -3 used a hydromechanical fuel control, the -5 and -7 used full FADEC engine controls (as does the LEAP, although the LEAP uses a newer, more advanced generation of FADEC).
In addition to the composite fan blades, the compressor, burner, and turbine are all of a new, advanced design compared to the -5/-7 versions, and the fan diameter is larger. Basically, the LEAP takes all the technology that GE put into the GEnx (787 and 747-8) and shrank it down to meet the thrust needs of a narrow body.

Jamowie48
14th Apr 2024, 07:12
You need to be more specific than "CFM56" as there are (at least) 3 different versions in commercial service - the -3 (737-3/4/500), -5 (A320 series) and -7 (737-6/7/8/900NG)(the -2 version is used on the KC-135 re-engine, and to re-engine some DC-8s, although I don't know that those re-engined DC-8s are still flying in commercial service).
Of those, only the -3 used a hydromechanical fuel control, the -5 and -7 used full FADEC engine controls (as does the LEAP, although the LEAP uses a newer, more advanced generation of FADEC).
In addition to the composite fan blades, the compressor, burner, and turbine are all of a new, advanced design compared to the -5/-7 versions, and the fan diameter is larger. Basically, the LEAP takes all the technology that GE put into the GEnx (787 and 747-8) and shrank it down to meet the thrust needs of a narrow body.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate that.
I was referring to the CFM56-3 so thank you for the information!
In what way is the FADEC on the Leap newer and more advanced?

Kind regards.