PDA

View Full Version : Help

delta 2
4th Sep 2002, 19:43
I'm 19 and want to be a pilot. I know that considering the state of the avaition industry this is not a wise move. Money is a major problem and since 9/11 cadet schemes are not happening....i rang up BA and they said they wouldn't be recruiting for 6 months at least......... and i don't have the 15 grand Brittania want

i've never actually flown a aircraft so i'm baffled by some of the terms used................i'ld really appreciate some explanations and

a very cost effective stratergy which would allow be to become an air line pilot in 3 years time. I read in the back of pilot magazine about courses costing £29,000. Even if i could afford to train this way Ryanair want pilots with 3,000 hours of experience so even after paying that kind of money i wouldn't be qualified enough.

How do you self fund training (anyone know of people who work and get free flying lessons) and who can i train with in London?
any step by step advice on what to do REALLY appreciated..........

Wedge
4th Sep 2002, 21:36
Ouch. Now you're asking......

Well you already know that if you want to be a pilot now is not the best time to start. However if you are really serious about it then now is also the best time to start, if yo usee what I mean.

You need to be more specific - what questions do you have, what terms etc do you need explained.

Apart from any specific advice, the best advice for any wannabe with zero time is to change that situation pronto and get your first hour in the book. Then take it from there......good luck!

piperindian
4th Sep 2002, 22:14
first things first
get a ppl if you dont have one .With a ppl your a pilot also, you have probably more freedom than most boeing or airbus drivers on the line.

whisperbrick
5th Sep 2002, 10:13
firstly,

save or borrow enough for a few hours flying:remember you may not actually like it, or may not have any ability.

Whirlybird
5th Sep 2002, 11:44
1) Get yourself a trial lesson. You may not like it. Seriously!
2) If you hang around flying clubs and get to know people, you'll find out more, and may even get some free flights - all good learning experiences.
3) Read this forum, and also the "Private Flying" forum, which will tell you a bit more about getting a PPL, terminology etc - lots of posts from student pilots on there.
4) Ask anything specific you want to know.
5) No easy way to get the money - you can save, borrow, train in the US as it's cheaper, a combination of all of the above. If you keep reading on here, or do a search, most of the info is somewhere.

Good luck!

delta 2
5th Sep 2002, 12:05
Thanks for your replys..........

Could anyone provide a list of air lines which offer cadet schemes apart from BA and aerlingus????????

Any advice on how to get a cadetship appreciated i.e books which help you pass the aptitude tests??????????

Wedge: what is a frozen ATPL?????? and with a CPL do you have enough hours to work for a airline or do you need more training???????????????????

Can anyone reccommend a good ground school and flying school, in London/near London?????????????????????????? would Cabair be a good place to train??????????????????????????

There are loads of banners on the site from City and London Guildhall university-do they offer good flight training??????????????????????????????????????????

a list of exams i'ld need to pass on the ground and in the air before becomming a commercial pilot would be really useful.

Keep the advice coming...................

tom_higginson
5th Sep 2002, 15:00
A frozen atpl is basicaly a full atpl in terms of theory and exams but you 1500 hours to make it a full atpl. With a frozen atpl (which you get at the end of a full course) you can work in an airline as a first officer whilst you build up the hours.

Cabair is a good school but one of the more pricey ones, so if your looking to go cheap not good.

But the best advice is what the others have said, get a trial lesson and a few hours under your belt for the reasons they have stated.

Best of luck.