PDA

View Full Version : Proposed new airport south of Dublin

Mr Jetlag
8th Apr 2024, 08:43
Yesterday's Business Post reported:A Middle Eastern investment consortium is advancing ambitious plans to build an international airport in Wicklow, after provisional deals with local farmers and families to buy more than 600 acres of land.

Landowners in Wicklow have provisionally agreed to sell more than 600 acres of property to a Middle Eastern investment consortium, which has plans to build a multi billion-euro international airport in the vicinity of Arklow. [Arklow's on the east coast of Ireland, about 60km south of Dublin.]

This seems a bit...hopeful?

DaveReidUK
8th Apr 2024, 10:35
This seems a bit...hopeful?

Christmas coming early for some farmers, before the penny drops. :O

Noxegon
8th Apr 2024, 19:58
About a week late with that story I think....

EI-BUD
9th Apr 2024, 09:11
This island already has 9 operational airports with scheduled services and likelihood of another at Waterford reopening in the near future.

What we need is a strong hub with global connections, with the right infrastructure to support it, i.e. train system and adequate parking at a realistic price. While I'm all for DAA having competition at DUB for parking and even for terminal space (suggested T3), but opening a new rival airport in Arklow would significantly dent the DUB offering - if it is of any scale.

In any case I think it is unlikely to be approved.
​​​​​

positive
9th Apr 2024, 18:30
With 2 runways in use most days capacity is well up we just need more terminal/pier and stand space which is planned and of course the famous metro would help too. I'm not so sure this proposed airport will ever get off the ground even if approved...

LTNman
10th Apr 2024, 13:43
This is the sort of project that the EU would love to waste its money on.

OzzyOzBorn
10th Apr 2024, 14:07
DUB is currently restricted by an artificial cap on throughput of 32M pax per annum. If this is lifted, the debate about another airport would quickly go away. Unfortunately, Eamon Ryan (a GREEN ... surprise, surprise), has his head buried firmly in the sand.