PDA

View Full Version : QFA220 engine problem rumour

Capt_SNAFU
6th Apr 2024, 23:35
QF1287 on 04/07 was VH-X4A last flight. Rumours of an engine problem. Any info from the CBR refueller?

Just over a month on line.

aussieflyboy
7th Apr 2024, 00:36
Probably a good thing as that’ll enable them to catch up on training their crew.

Paying only A$224K (US$146K) before tax a year for a training captain on a 71 Tonne Jet wouldn’t encourage many applications I’d imagine.

compressor stall
7th Apr 2024, 01:23
No idea about QF but did see a reference re global engine shortages on 220s somewhere else on the planet.

dragon man
7th Apr 2024, 01:36
https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/VHX4A

Where there is smoke there well may be fire in this case by the look of it.

dragon man
7th Apr 2024, 02:01
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1195x1584/img_7524_8276fe4ac2a065280dabf58aaaab55095e8cad68.jpeg
Is that the aircraft?

gordonfvckingramsay
7th Apr 2024, 02:56
QF1287 on 04/07 was VH-X4A last flight. Rumours of an engine problem. Any info from the CBR refueller?

Haven’t they been nursing these engines already?

MickG0105
7th Apr 2024, 03:01
How do you figure that? -X4A was delivered late last year wasn't it?

dragon man
7th Apr 2024, 03:29
https://australianaviation.com.au/2024/03/first-commercial-qantaslink-a220-flight-touches-down-in-canberra/

Looks like just over a month on line to me.

MickG0105
7th Apr 2024, 04:04
https://australianaviation.com.au/2024/03/first-commercial-qantaslink-a220-flight-touches-down-in-canberra/

Looks like just over a month on line to me.
That might have been the first fare-paying flight but -X4A has been flying pretty much five days a week since the start of the year.

dragon man
7th Apr 2024, 04:25
That might have been the first fare-paying flight but -X4A has been flying pretty much five days a week since the start of the year.

It may have however the thread starter said a month on line.

dragon man
7th Apr 2024, 04:36
The information I have is the airframe and therefore engine has approx 300 hours on it. If it is an engine failure/removal that’s not very good from new.

gordonfvckingramsay
7th Apr 2024, 04:46
If you google ‘A220 engine problems’, you’ll see a list of articles about the engine issues. 300 odd hours is not good enough though.

Going Nowhere
7th Apr 2024, 06:17
I believe there have been several sectors cancelled over the last week due to Tech Crew Sickness

MickG0105
7th Apr 2024, 06:53
It may have however the thread starter said a month on line.
We clearly have different understandings of what the phrase "on line" means. Engines and airframes tend to be unable to distinguish between revenue and non-revenue hours.

aussieflyboy
7th Apr 2024, 06:58
I believe there have been several sectors cancelled over the last week due to Tech Crew Sickness

Project Zero

Lead Balloon
7th Apr 2024, 07:35
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1195x1584/img_7524_8276fe4ac2a065280dabf58aaaab55095e8cad68.jpeg
Is that the aircraft?Amazing GT and the media aren’t on to this. You can clearly see a groundie pumping what I reckon is Tetrazine into the Turbo Encabulator. Typical 220 engine problem.

soseg
7th Apr 2024, 07:57
Wouldn’t have happened if it was flown by SH.

dr dre
7th Apr 2024, 08:06
X4A operated a MEL-CBR flight today, so whatever problem existed has been sorted.

The problems with the P&W GTF engines had to do with ones were manufactured from 2016-2020 before the “Block D” upgrade, which has solved most of the issues and presumably is incorporated into all
new build engines:

https://airinsight.com/pratt-whitney-reaches-turning-point-with-gtf-in-may/

gordonfvckingramsay
7th Apr 2024, 08:15
X4A operated a MEL-CBR flight today, so whatever problem existed has been sorted.

The problems with the P&W GTF engines had to do with ones were manufactured from 2016-2020 before the “Block D” upgrade, which has solved most of the issues and presumably is incorporated into all
new build engines:

https://airinsight.com/pratt-whitney-reaches-turning-point-with-gtf-in-may/

Positioning for replacement, it won’t fly for a while now.

dr dre
7th Apr 2024, 08:45

Nope, check FR24, it just got airborne 5 minutes ago out of CBR on the return revenue service back to MEL.

gordonfvckingramsay
7th Apr 2024, 09:14
Nope, check FR24, it just got airborne 5 minutes ago out of CBR on the return revenue service back to MEL.

Oh dear. That’s concerning following what I was told.

Going Nowhere
7th Apr 2024, 10:10
It’s actually been doing RPT sectors all afternoon.

bobbelmore
7th Apr 2024, 10:16
Oh dear. That’s concerning following what I was told.

Doesn’t fit your agenda?

pinkpanther1
7th Apr 2024, 10:56
Wouldn’t have happened if it was flown by SH.

Please tell me you're kidding?

DirectAnywhere
7th Apr 2024, 21:28
Shouldn’t this thread be in the GA section?

soseg
7th Apr 2024, 21:42
Please tell me you're kidding?

Triggered boomer.

gordonfvckingramsay
7th Apr 2024, 22:11
Doesn’t fit your agenda?

If you’re suggesting I’m bashing the operator, you’re well off the mark. My only ‘agenda’, if I must have one, would be to put it out there that P&W have unleashed a power plant that has given a bunch of airlines around the world a real headache. It makes you ponder how an engine that has to be nursed every day was ever certified. If this problem cropped up after several thousand hours of operation, it could be deemed unforeseen, but after 300-400??? Must have been a very special test program.

BravoSierraLima
7th Apr 2024, 22:33
I have also heard X4A (nicknamed Broccoli Dreaming) needs an engine change due to metal in the oil. Other rumours I've heard is that it was delivered with a wiring fault that triggers the anti skid warning and that X4B was delivered with 7 open MELs and has minor tech faults most days it flies. Dispatch reliability within 15 mins of STD is 96% though. Flights being cancelled due to crew shortages is confirmed. The ability to recruit up to 10 A220 experienced pilots using permanent residency has resulted in ONE successful application, who was so unrecent on the A220 they are required to do a complete type rating again. Now they are trying to recruit experienced (doesn't have to be A220) training captains using those visas.

pinkpanther1
7th Apr 2024, 23:15
Triggered boomer.

Not even close, champ ;)

dr dre
7th Apr 2024, 23:44
My only ‘agenda’, if I must have one, would be to put it out there that P&W have unleashed a power plant that has given a bunch of airlines around the world a real headache.

It makes you ponder how an engine that has to be nursed every day was ever certified. If this problem cropped up after several thousand hours of operation, it could be deemed unforeseen, but after 300-400??? Must have been a very special test program.

If you would've read the link I posted you would have seen that the P&W GTF issues were more the initial builds that are progressively being upgraded with more durable parts, better airflow cooling and EEC software updates. It'll take a few more years until all the existing engines worldwide are upgraded to the better standard, but the new build engines have the upgrade from the start. The GTF has better reliability than the V2500 at comparable stages in their lifespans

https://simpleflying.com/pratt-whitney-gtf-roadmap-explained/

As it takes 2 months to do the upgrade then whatever happened to X4A the other day was not related.

brokenagain
7th Apr 2024, 23:49
The ability to recruit up to 10 A220 experienced pilots using permanent residency has resulted in ONE successful application, who was so unrecent on the A220 they are required to do a complete type rating again. Now they are trying to recruit experienced (doesn't have to be A220) training captains using those visas.

And the smartest people in the room probably still refuse to accept that by global standards they have an extremely uncompetitive pilot contract.

Gas Chamber
7th Apr 2024, 23:52
I have also heard X4A (nicknamed Broccoli Dreaming) needs an engine change due to metal in the oil. Other rumours I've heard is that it was delivered with a wiring fault that triggers the anti skid warning and that X4B was delivered with 7 open MELs and has minor tech faults most days it flies. Dispatch reliability within 15 mins of STD is 96% though. Flights being cancelled due to crew shortages is confirmed. The ability to recruit up to 10 A220 experienced pilots using permanent residency has resulted in ONE successful application, who was so unrecent on the A220 they are required to do a complete type rating again. Now they are trying to recruit experienced (doesn't have to be A220) training captains using those visas.

try paying more. Apparently management don’t think we have any pilot shortages, so why are we allowing foreigners to fly OUR aircraft?

snow dragon
8th Apr 2024, 04:56

Well I’ve applied 6 months ago as a experienced Fo and so far it’s crickets from the HR dept.
Also a good friend applied for DEC and his experienced on type and crickets.
As an insight to pay year 2 Captains are on 237k usd and check airman are taking home 35k per month doing roughly 80 hrs per month where we work stateside.
With regards to engines if you don’t run them the correct way the bearings tend to seize.
Welcome to the joys of QF recruiting.
Side note we are both Australian citizens, no visa required

Transition Layer
8th Apr 2024, 05:06
Well I’ve applied 6 months ago as a experienced Fo and so far it’s crickets from the HR dept.
As an insight to pay year 2 Captains are on 237k usd and check airman are taking home 35k per month doing roughly 80 hrs per month where we work stateside.
With regards to engines if you don’t run them the correct way the bearings tend to seize.

So why are you applying to work for peanuts?

Icarus2001
8th Apr 2024, 05:23

Do you have to move the thrust levers a particular way so that the FADEC understands? :ooh:​​​​​​​

aussieflyboy
8th Apr 2024, 07:24

This would give you an indication of how you will be treated if you were to be employed by them.

Bug Smasher Smasher
9th Apr 2024, 01:59
Looks like X4A is now the CBR hangar queen.

unobtanium
10th Apr 2024, 00:27
engine change on a brand newie how the heck did it get etop's aproval

pinkpanther1
10th Apr 2024, 00:41

Virgin's latest Max, 8ID just got an engine change less than 2 weeks into service due to an oil leak.

S**t happens, but I agree - not ideal.

herostratus
10th Apr 2024, 01:12

Confirmed they have ETOPS? Did they have to operate for 12 months before receiving the approval?

aussieflyboy
10th Apr 2024, 01:25
Confirmed they have ETOPS? Did they have to operate for 12 months before receiving the approval?

The aircraft can have ‘ETOPS’ approval. QantasLink A220s do not (at the stage).

Looking at their AOC they don’t even have Low Vis, RNP-AR or International Passenger operations approval as yet.

herostratus
10th Apr 2024, 02:17
The aircraft can have ‘ETOPS’ approval. QantasLink A220s do not (at the stage).

Looking at their AOC they don’t even have Low Vis, RNP-AR or International Passenger operations approval as yet.

Yeah understood, current CASA regs require 12 months in service experience before EDTO can be granted. Was curious if Qantas had found a work around.

soseg
10th Apr 2024, 07:13
Yeah understood, current CASA regs require 12 months in service experience before EDTO can be granted. Was curious if Qantas had found a work around.

The work around is easy. Put it on the mainline AOC and give it to SH pilots.

BravoSierraLima
10th Apr 2024, 07:52

With or without the NJS pilots and cabin crew?

gordonfvckingramsay
10th Apr 2024, 08:43

Are you suggesting SH crew will operate the P&W engines more gently? Don’t forget, EDTO is heavily tied to engine reliability.

I do agree that ALL Qantas/Qantaslink operations should be under one ‘mainline’ operation, but that’s because I dislike the division that Alan, and now Vanessa have engendered.

directsosij
10th Apr 2024, 09:06
Keep dreaming NJS offering you a 20% pay rise is more likely to happen (and it won’t happen).

Lapon
10th Apr 2024, 09:34
Is the whole 'mainline getting A220s' line a new take on the 'Qlink getting jets' line we used to hear over a decade ago?

I mean, Qlink sort of did get jets if you reshape what Qlink is.

aussieflyboy
10th Apr 2024, 12:20
Is the whole 'mainline getting A220s' line a new take on the 'Qlink getting jets' line we used to hear over a decade ago?

I mean, Qlink sort of did get jets if you reshape what Qlink is.

Amusingly QLink will soon have more jets then SH:

NAA: 30
NJS: 29
Alliance: 21

SH: 75

soseg
11th Apr 2024, 03:48
With or without the NJS pilots and cabin crew?

With.

Bottom of mainline seniority list. Doesn’t negatively affect any current mainline pilot. In fact, it’ll create promotion.

Their current NJS captains retain commands. Their FOs get first pick on a220 commands under our AOC out of seniority. They only have enough pilots to crew maybe 15 jets. The remaining 15 or so then go to the normal bidding process for the remaining pilots. And it’ll put a big stop to the divide and conquer.

Power
11th Apr 2024, 04:30
NJS joining mainline is as delusional as the yes voters from the last NJS EBA. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

gordonfvckingramsay
11th Apr 2024, 05:52
NJS joining mainline is as delusional as the yes voters from the last NJS EBA. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

Still less delusional than Qantas or NJS thinking they can crew the A220. Amalgamation will solve a multitude of problems, and all it will cost is a decent contract. A small price to pay in the current climate.

Back on topic though…the engine in question is being replaced but the other engine, which will be checked for the same issue soon, is of great concern given the lack of availability of spare engines. They can’t be found for love nor money.

aussieflyboy
11th Apr 2024, 07:12
I’ve heard NJS Pilots have plenty of real life experience flying around on one engine.

illusion
11th Apr 2024, 09:38
Flying Doctor pilots have been doing it for years. What's the problem?

🤯

VisualPurple
16th Apr 2024, 03:17
X4A went mechanically U/S in Canberra this morning. Anyone got any deets on what’s broken this time?