PDA

View Full Version : 18th Aggressor Squadron becomes 18th Fighter Intercept Squadron

chopper2004
5th Apr 2024, 13:28
In a weird back to the future and Cold War designation, the USAF have redesignated an Alaskan based aggressor squadron - the 18th Aggressor Squadron as the 18th Fighter Intercept Squadron.

https://www.twz.com/air/f-16-aggressor-squadron-in-alaska-becomes-unique-air-defense-unit

last time I can think of anything designated that was pre GUlf War, with the 57th FIS equipped with F-15C at Keflavik...

cheers

Lonewolf_50
6th Apr 2024, 00:00
It feels like the 70's again, but thankfully the platform shoes and leisure suits aren't coming back.

West Coast
6th Apr 2024, 02:30
but thankfully the platform shoes and leisure suits aren't coming back.

Great, now you tell me.

gums
6th Apr 2024, 02:48
Yeah, Wolf, just when I thot I could squeeze into my party suit with the bell-bottoms and such....sheesh.

My first squad after pilot training was the 18th Fighter Interceptor Squadron at Grand Forks back in 1966, so the unit has a special place in my heart. I learned so much that allowed me to make another few years without becoming a smoking hole. The old troopsin that squad had very good ways of helping we nuggets "learn" without humilitaing us in front of everyone else.

Gums recalls...