PDA

View Full Version : Alliance E190 taxi speeds

VH-FTS
29th Mar 2024, 01:18
It's getting a bit of a joke how slow you all are taxiing. I'm talking long, wide, dry taxi ways too not corners or in the wet. 10 to 15 kt the whole time - is it that time of the month where you need to hit your productivity bonus hours? Bet Qantas are thrilled with how you're contributing to on time performance while slowing the rest of us down too.

Gnadenburg
29th Mar 2024, 01:42
There’s a cost of living crisis mate! Have a little empathy.

ShandywithSugar
29th Mar 2024, 02:18
VH-FTS Bravo Bravo :D

Slippery_Pete
29th Mar 2024, 02:27
How are they paid? Actual block?

volare_737
29th Mar 2024, 02:37
haha - Love it !!! In my defence I have to say I taxi at least at 25 to 30. But please understand most of us are old farts and need time to think !!!! :rolleyes:

chimbu warrior
29th Mar 2024, 03:43
Perhaps they have a company-imposed taxi speed limit. If this is common amongst Alliance E190's then that could well be the case.

BO0M
29th Mar 2024, 04:21

chookcooker
29th Mar 2024, 04:27
10kts wet? In a straight line? Bananas

Lapon
29th Mar 2024, 04:30
But the big question is.... how bright are the Alliance taxi lights, and do they leave thier wing inspection lights on? :E

BO0M
29th Mar 2024, 04:32

VH-FTS
29th Mar 2024, 11:32
Perhaps they have a company-imposed taxi speed limit. If this is common amongst Alliance E190's then that could well be the case.

There's no way they're limited to 15 kt in a straight line in the dry. Adding 0.1 to each taxi must add up at the end of the month.

Chadzat
29th Mar 2024, 11:49
Those who flew the ejet at VA may remember the design flaw in the nosewheel assembly that can shimmy/shudder the whole aircraft when the taxi speed is between 18-21kt (from memory). So you either had to be above or below that usually-ideal speed.

Who cares about OTP anyway? Thats some desk jockeys KPI, not a pilots!!

soseg
29th Mar 2024, 11:53
Getting their total time up so they can apply for the majors.

bugged on the right
29th Mar 2024, 16:25
15 kts in A300 would produce a rapid nosewheel bounce which would get lady pilots jiggling. So I heard.

DIBO
29th Mar 2024, 20:15
So I heard.No, no, it's scientifically proven: Men and women absorb vibration differently (https://www.concordia.ca/news/stories/2018/10/30/men-and-women-absorb-vibration-differently-new-research-shows.html) ;)

DeltaT
29th Mar 2024, 20:25
Just because you can taxi fast doesn't mean you should.
Like most things in life, wait your turn, you aren't the only person on the planet.
If I want to take my damn time I will.

rodney rude
29th Mar 2024, 21:29
Great attitude mate. I suppose you're the guy on the highway doing 80 with a funeral procession behind you.

CDRW
29th Mar 2024, 21:35
Like most things in life, wait your turn, you aren't the only person on the planet.
Such a mature responce shown by a vastly experienced pilot who has flown the world (well WA and maybe a trip to NT to really get experience! )

morno
29th Mar 2024, 22:24

Mate I can taxi a Cessna around at 30kts. If you can’t taxi a jet at 30kts maybe it’s time you hang up your boots and retire.

nomess
29th Mar 2024, 22:41
Who said anything about taxiing fast?

We are talking about people who go SLOW.

and no, one isn’t the only person on the planet, they are one of MANY, who are all waiting behind you.

TBM-Legend
30th Mar 2024, 00:24
In Australia dawdling on taxiways is the order of the day compared to the U.S., Canada, Asia

Still living in the Tiger Moth walking pace days.

soseg
30th Mar 2024, 02:48
Guys, you’ll trigger all the zoomers who meow on guard.

cxflog
30th Mar 2024, 03:58
Guys, you’ll trigger all the zoomers who meow on guard.
m e o w
e
o
w

Flava Saver
30th Mar 2024, 13:38
Whilst speaking of things slow…. How about a shoutout to the VA drivers given max speed to the field yet everyone behind them get profile, then 250, then bring it back to 220 because they didn’t wind it up. Here’s a thought! If ya not gunna put the pedal down, just say unable, and that your happy to join the back of the sequence thanks. Not all of us are building twin time. :)

MalcolmReynolds
30th Mar 2024, 16:05
Great attitude mate. I suppose you're the guy on the highway doing 80 with a funeral procession behind you.

Who cares? They're DEAD! It isn't an Ambulance!

Lead Balloon
30th Mar 2024, 19:56
I think rodney was being metaphorical, not literal, malcolm.

rodney rude
30th Mar 2024, 21:10
Thank you Leady. There's always one dullard isn't there.

DeltaT
31st Mar 2024, 23:15
Ahh, the new generation of all knowing pilot skygods of Australia rises again, coming to an airport accident near you.

Mach E Avelli
1st Apr 2024, 01:41
A long time ago I worked for an outfit that paid a base salary plus a revenue mile rate. Not too many time wasters in that operation. Paying block hour overtime and expecting OTP? Pigs may levitate.

morno
1st Apr 2024, 02:28
Ahh, the new generation of all knowing pilot skygods of Australia rises again, coming to an airport accident near you.

Just tell me again what is wrong with taxiing at 30kts and not holding every competent person up? :ugh:

rodney rude
1st Apr 2024, 03:46
Hook up that caravan Delta! The highway awaits.

The Banjo
1st Apr 2024, 07:37
Just tell me again what is wrong with taxiing at 30kts and not holding every competent person up? :ugh:

Well taxiing slower might give more headspace to prevent a runway incursion or a wingding when parking at a bay.

As we are all aware there is a lot of training happening with generally less experienced students so then slowing things down cannot be a bad mitigation.

morno
1st Apr 2024, 08:08
Well taxiing slower might give more headspace to prevent a runway incursion or a wingding when parking at a bay.

As we are all aware there is a lot of training happening with generally less experienced students so then slowing things down cannot be a bad mitigation.

I’m not saying you park on the bay doing 30kts FFS. And what possible runway incursion could you have on a parallel taxiway 🤦‍♂️

das Uber Soldat
1st Apr 2024, 08:58
I like that we can argue about literally anything.

ScepticalOptomist
1st Apr 2024, 09:03

Yep - being anonymous on a forum brings out the worst in people.

Wonder if anyone here would have the guts to ask someone in the terminal face-to-face about something so petty as their taxi speed.

WSSS
1st Apr 2024, 09:33
Those who flew the ejet at VA may remember the design flaw in the nosewheel assembly that can shimmy/shudder the whole aircraft when the taxi speed is between 18-21kt (from memory). So you either had to be above or below that usually-ideal speed.

Exactly this. The Ejet starts to shudder approaching 18 kts but sorts itself out after 20 kts. Don't know whether it's nose wheel design flaw or some kind of resonance, but once you break through 20 - 21 kts, the shuddering stops.

cxflog
1st Apr 2024, 13:09
Yep - being anonymous on a forum brings out the worst in people.

Wonder if anyone here would have the guts to ask someone in the terminal face-to-face about something so petty as their taxi speed.
Absolutely zero because those around would just shake their heads at the shear stupidity of such a question.

framer
1st Apr 2024, 20:03
Paying block hour overtime and expecting OTP? Pigs may levitate.

I have seen people joke bout slowing down because of block overtime but I have never seen anyone actually do it. Does it really happen?
​​​​​​​Guys, you’ll trigger all the zoomers who meow on guard.
Can anyone explain what that is about? Is it a private message between incels? Like a code to show solidarity?

Sameoldsameold
1st Apr 2024, 22:40
Another pathetic thread full of self appointed aviation hero’s. Now they are cracking down on taxi speeds. Got to be taxiing at 30kts to be deemed proficient. We really are lucky to have such oversight and thanks for bringing it to our attention on pprune.

MikeHatter732
1st Apr 2024, 22:51
Thankfully their one route out of Sydney keeps them off Tango down to 34R :}:}

morno
1st Apr 2024, 23:17
Another pathetic thread full of self appointed aviation hero’s. Now they are cracking down on taxi speeds. Got to be taxiing at 30kts to be deemed proficient. We really are lucky to have such oversight and thanks for bringing it to our attention on pprune.

It’s funny watching all you lot get wound up when others tell you to just hurry up. I didn’t even start the topic, but I sure as **** am getting a laugh from apparently how ‘difficult and unsafe’ it is to taxi at a mere 25-30kts :ugh:

maggot
2nd Apr 2024, 01:23
I have seen people joke bout slowing down because of block overtime but I have never seen anyone actually do it. Does it really happen?

Yes!! But this singular fellow doesn't have a grasp of statistics and outliers etc

maggot
2nd Apr 2024, 01:24

Well I prefer how we did it back at Ansett

:}

Trevor the lover
2nd Apr 2024, 01:54
Yeah... and in the Boeing blah blah blah

Window heat
2nd Apr 2024, 02:04
Is this a genuine thread? I’m not sure whether to laugh at 44 posts on taxi speed in an RPT jet of laugh at the idea that some folks think it’s unsafe to taxi at the manufacturer/company SOP max speed. Assuming you hold an ATPL, you should be able to work out when it’s safe to taxi at 30kts (I have no idea what the Ejet max is).

I remember the 737 classic had a wobble at 17 kts, you either went above or below, problem solved. I haven’t seen a similar issue on other types. As for 30 kts, I’ve never felt unsafe doing it in a straight line. Sorry to add post #45…….FOMO.

Zeta_Reticuli
2nd Apr 2024, 02:15
Is this a genuine thread? I’m not sure whether to laugh at 44 posts on taxi speed in an RPT jet of laugh at the idea that some folks think it’s unsafe to taxi at the manufacturer/company SOP max speed. Assuming you hold an ATPL, you should be able to work out when it’s safe to taxi at 30kts (I have no idea what the Ejet max is).

I remember the 737 classic had a wobble at 17 kts, you either went above or below, problem solved. I haven’t seen a similar issue on other types. As for 30 kts, I’ve never felt unsafe doing it in a straight line. Sorry to add post #45…….FOMO.

Hey the Austronauts have to stroke their ego every now and then!

Hollywood1
2nd Apr 2024, 02:33
This month, it's Alliance taxi speeds. Last month was Jetstar leaving on their nose taxi lights and blinding fellow Austronauts. Can't be much left to whinge about now.

Zeta_Reticuli
2nd Apr 2024, 02:37
This month, it's Alliance taxi speeds. Last month was Jetstar leaving on their nose taxi lights and blinding fellow Austronauts. Can't be much left to whinge about now.

Whinging for years about anything trivial besides their trivial salaries!

Gear in transit
2nd Apr 2024, 09:59
This month, its Alliance taxi speeds. Last month was Jetstar leaving on their nose taxi lights and blinding fellow Austronauts. Can't be much left to whinge about now.

You forgot to mention the QF wing lights.

megan
3rd Apr 2024, 02:35
As for 30 kts, I’ve never felt unsafe doing it in a straight lineYou feel unsafe when approaching Vr? You're going in a straight line, hopefully. ;)

Deano969
3rd Apr 2024, 02:58
You forgot to mention the QF wing lights.
And that pesky strip of grass next to the apron at Rocky

Capt_SNAFU
3rd Apr 2024, 05:08
Whilst here I will now whine about the idiots who have NFI where a hold point line is and stop short and hold up traffic behind. Aircraft off 16R at YSSY at intersections F,B3/4 are prime offenders. Actually work out where your nose is and move the $&*k up.
rant over.

prickly
3rd Apr 2024, 09:07
Taxiing accidents have long been among the least forgivable and career ending mishaps in the industry. But there can be other dangers.

In my old and now defunct airline the most unacceptable and dangerous taxi speed was one that would get you on blocks at just a few minutes prior to 2300 local time on the last sector back to base. Given that after 2300 local up to 14 underpaid cabin crew would be compensated taxi fare from CLK to their homes, which for many werein the dark and mysterious depths of the Kowloon peninsula, despite being one of the safest cities in the world at the time. Cockpit crews would be reminded of this prior to the last departure and during the sector and woe betide any cockpit crew arriving within 5 minutes prior to that magic hour. So -10 kt taxiing or many other devious manoeuvres were carried out to ensure the parking brake was not set and on blocks time recorded as 2301 local.

And thus the endless supply of Terimisu and other goodies would continue right up to retirement. The following heart attack months later serves as a reminder but I still get Christmas cards from a few of those appreciative FAs.

And I should add that this was not the reason the airline is now defunct.

Callsign Please
3rd Apr 2024, 11:03
Aircraft off 16R at YSSY at intersections F,B3/4 are prime offenders.
Concurrent rant: this is usually because the fuel pipeline under those hold points screws with magnets and creates heading mismatches which hold up yours and everyone else’s departures, but they’ll still send you there for 10-15 in the queue as it’s better than up top. Always happy to move forward though :ok:

Gnadenburg
3rd Apr 2024, 22:07
Taxiing accidents have long been among the least forgivable and career ending mishaps in the industry. But there can be other dangers.

In my old and now defunct airline the most unacceptable and dangerous taxi speed was one that would get you on blocks at just a few minutes prior to 2300 local time on the last sector back to base. Given that after 2300 local up to 14 underpaid cabin crew would be compensated taxi fare from CLK to their homes, which for many werein the dark and mysterious depths of the Kowloon peninsula, despite being one of the safest cities in the world at the time. Cockpit crews would be reminded of this prior to the last departure and during the sector and woe betide any cockpit crew arriving within 5 minutes prior to that magic hour. So -10 kt taxiing or many other devious manoeuvres were carried out to ensure the parking brake was not set and on blocks time recorded as 2301 local.

And thus the endless supply of Terimisu and other goodies would continue right up to retirement. The following heart attack months later serves as a reminder but I still get Christmas cards from a few of those appreciative FAs.

And I should add that this was not the reason the airline is now defunct.

This was also the airline that had an unforgivable and according to Airbus, unfathomable number of wide-body rollbacks off stand, due to pay by the minute which was at least $10 AUD to $15. The place was a rort and most notably, in hindsight, from the “company men” who’d also play against the union. Roll-back Jack? If you ever own an airline, it’s the company men to beware of as much as your bottom dwelling maligners.

Back to Alliance. Mentioned above as a reason for taxiing slow is the amount of training going on. Pilot numbers and attrition haven’t stabilised? Is it really a great idea to have an airline in continuous training mode or should CASA force their hand and consider pilot turnover a matter an RPT operator, at his level, must address?

BO0M
4th Apr 2024, 00:00
What airline around the world isn't in continuous training mode? I haven't seen Alliance come up in any ATSB reports recently and given they are heavily audited by QF and VA on safety (and OTP) it's probably a good indication that there are processes in place to make the operation safe. I think a lot of people forget the large amount of expats that came home and are still coming home, plus numerous operators for the QF and VA side that are at Alliance. The experience in the ranks on both the F100 and Ejet is significantly greater than people realise. I'm pretty certain the entire fleet aren't taxing around like snails but if some amoung them are, then theres probably a good reson.

Gnadenburg
4th Apr 2024, 03:08

Right then Boom, that was in response to an insider’s explanation. And let’s face it, the attrition rate was said to be very high on earlier threads so at some stage, if your operation continually needs trainer wheels, the regulator should take an interest in pilot turn-over.

You gave the problem away in your comments so let’s not beat around the bush. If pay was block or better, there’s no slow taxiing problem up until the flight time wanders beyond block. Seen it all before.

grrowler
4th Apr 2024, 06:53
I know of several reportable incidents at QQ that have not appeared in ATSB reports available to the general public.

Why? You’d have to ask QQ/ QF/ ATSB.

SHSS
4th Apr 2024, 12:12
Wow, taxi speeds. Seriously? Get over it. Crews will taxi at a speed deemed appropriate, and not a speed deemed appropriate by someone on pprune. Honestly, some 'pilots' posting on here need to lighten up.

SHSS
4th Apr 2024, 13:00
I know of several reportable incidents at QQ that have not appeared in ATSB reports available to the general public.

Why? You’d have to ask QQ/ QF/ ATSB.

QQ have a very robust safety system. Not sure what your agenda is but well done!

grrowler
4th Apr 2024, 21:31
Not at all suggesting they don’t, just interesting that they don’t seem to find their way into the public domain.

megan
5th Apr 2024, 03:07
I know of several reportable incidents at QQ that have not appeared in ATSB reports available to the general publicNot unusual, had an engine failure on take off where I didn't know for a moment if we were going to get away with it, no publically available report, induced a severe bout of PTSD.

ScepticalOptomist
5th Apr 2024, 05:19
Not unusual, had an engine failure on take off where I didn't know for a moment if we were going to get away with it, no publically available report, induced a severe bout of PTSD.

Sorry to hear that - hope you’re doing ok. 👍

airdualbleedfault
5th Apr 2024, 08:10
Wow, taxi speeds. Seriously? Get over it. Crews will taxi at a speed deemed appropriate, and not a speed deemed appropriate by someone on pprune. Honestly, some 'pilots' posting on here need to lighten up.
Typical austronaut response, try that "I'll taxi whatever speed I want" 5hit in the US or Hongkers