PDA

View Full Version : BY198A / BY198B

Daryn
26th Mar 2024, 15:09
Please can someone tell me where this was to?

I've got the passenger ticket and I can tell you the following:

BY198A 22OCT96 DEP 16:20 ARR 19:20 From CWL but strangely the arrival airport is not on the ticket!

and then

BY198B 29OCT96 DEP 20:20 ARR 21:15

Hope someone can solve the mystery for me!

thnarg
26th Mar 2024, 16:06
Please can someone tell me where this was to?

BY198A 22OCT96 DEP 16:20 ARR 19:20
BY198B 29OCT96 DEP 20:20 ARR

Two hours block time from CWL into Western Europe so probably GRO or BCN

Daryn
26th Mar 2024, 16:13
Two hours block time from CWL into Western Europe so probably GRO or BCN

Yeah I thought that, I've not flown to BCN with BY so I'm wondering whether it's GRO or REU would love a definitive answer though

DaveReidUK
26th Mar 2024, 16:54
You spent a week there, and you can't remember where it was ? Must have been some holiday !! :O

Edit: Having said that, you told us a few weeks ago that you'd been at LPA between those dates (though the block times don't add up).

Daryn
26th Mar 2024, 16:58
ha! I was a kid and we went on a few holidays a year. So it's either GRO, REU, ALC, PMI or maybe even AGP? But would love to know which

Quemerford
26th Mar 2024, 17:37
CWL seems to mean Cardiff.

Daryn
26th Mar 2024, 17:40
CWL seems to mean Cardiff.
Lol yup, I knew that bit. It was my local airport at the time

Daryn
26th Mar 2024, 21:01
You spent a week there, and you can't remember where it was ? Must have been some holiday !! :O

Edit: Having said that, you told us a few weeks ago that you'd been at LPA between those dates (though the block times don't add up).
Yeah so exactly that. I've got it down in my logs as LPA but it can't be right so that's why I've asked for info. I don't know why I've logged it as LPA.

DaveReidUK
27th Mar 2024, 07:44
Maybe Palma, rather than Las Palmas ?

Daryn
27th Mar 2024, 07:56
I was hoping that someone would have access to or know historic flight numbers to answer my query definitively but thanks for the input!

ATNotts
27th Mar 2024, 09:31
I will do some digging in the Airport Timetables UK vaults. May take a day or two.

Daryn
27th Mar 2024, 11:02
I will do some digging in the Airport Timetables UK vaults. May take a day or two.
That's really kind, thank you.

lederhosen
27th Mar 2024, 12:12
The ICAO code for Palma is LEPA maybe that is where the confusion crept in?

Daryn
27th Mar 2024, 12:28
The ICAO code for Palma is LEPA maybe that is where the confusion crept in?
That's a sensible suggestion.

To be honest, when I was younger I just cared about logging my flights so I made up a lot of the dates. For example I know I've been to LPA twice so then I would log it twice without really caring about the dates, flight numbers etc...

Now that I'm older and far more boring I seem to actually care about getting as much accurate information as possible, So there has been a lot of untangling to do! Using passport stamps and finding old boarding cards has made it quite a "fun" task for me and now I seem to really care about having an accurate flight log.

The above information is from a flight ticket and not a boarding card so there are no airports listed on it (on the back are the luggage stickers with CWL) so I'm in an unusual position of having flight times, flight numbers and dates but with no arrival destination lol. So it would be fun to see if I can find the plane. I've used ACARS reports LHR-LGW.co.uk and so it's getting better. Perhaps it'll never be fully correct, but with kind help, who knows!

Daryn
27th Mar 2024, 12:35
Would it also give you the equipment and tail number used or just the route (but I'll take anything you have that's correct haha!)

LGWAlan
27th Mar 2024, 13:52
CWL wasn't really listed in the 1996ATUK - but the flight appeared in the routings section at the end and shows Reus

Daryn
27th Mar 2024, 13:54
CWL wasn't really listed in the 1996ATUK - but the flight appeared in the routings section at the end and shows Reus
Wonderful news thank you. Very grateful for that. Does it give you tail number or equipment type?

ATNotts
27th Mar 2024, 17:52
I can't recall why CWL was so patchy in 1996, from my recollection they were reasonably cooperative, and similarly Thomson.

I've been been busy today so thanks for doing the digging!

Flightrider
27th Mar 2024, 18:11
I've just pulled out the 1996 ATUK as well, and it's as if Cardiff didn't exist - the land that man forgot! It's not even listed in the index. Really strange considering how comprehensive the book normally was in all other regards!

My guess would be that this was a 757 operation though as that was the Britannia fleet standard of the time.

Little-known aspect of Britannia flight numbers: many thought they were random but until you listed out the flights by day of week, the pattern didn't become obvious. BY1 / 8 / 15 / 22 / 29 and so on were Monday numbers, BY 2 / 9 / 16 / 23 / 30 Tuesday and on it went. 198 would therefore be a Tuesday number and indeed 22 October 1996 was a Tuesday (and a "Reus day", back in the era). Useless piece of trivia, but there you go.

GBYAJ
27th Mar 2024, 20:47
Little-known aspect of Britannia flight numbers: many thought they were random but until you listed out the flights by day of week, the pattern didn't become obvious. BY1 / 8 / 15 / 22 / 29 and so on were Monday numbers, BY 2 / 9 / 16 / 23 / 30 Tuesday and on it went. 198 would therefore be a Tuesday number and indeed 22 October 1996 was a Tuesday (and a "Reus day", back in the era). Useless piece of trivia, but there you go.

ha ha. I worked that out as well! Remember flying on BY047 NCL-IBZ on a Friday in 87 and BY014 on a Sunday NCL-TFS in 95!

always wondered is there was any other indicators in the number but didn’t appear to be base or destination or aircraft type dependent! .

Daryn
1st Apr 2024, 18:08

ha ha. I worked that out as well! Remember flying on BY047 NCL-IBZ on a Friday in 87 and BY014 on a Sunday NCL-TFS in 95!

always wondered is there was any other indicators in the number but didn’t appear to be base or destination or aircraft type dependent! .

Thank you all for your responses and answering my query, very grateful. Alpso great bit of trivia that I wasn't aware of!

Daryn
6th Apr 2024, 13:23
I've just pulled out the 1996 ATUK as well, and it's as if Cardiff didn't exist - the land that man forgot! It's not even listed in the index. Really strange considering how comprehensive the book normally was in all other regards!

My guess would be that this was a 757 operation though as that was the Britannia fleet standard of the time.

Would you mind checking some other flights I've logged against your almanac or similar? Do you have the time and inclination?

ATNotts
6th Apr 2024, 15:32
Would you mind checking some other flights I've logged against your almanac or similar? Do you have the time and inclination?
Daryn,

I've sent you a PM