PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Maritime Helicopter Compeition

chopper2004
20th Mar 2024, 13:10
The Kiwis are looking for replacement of their Kaman SH-2G Seasprites

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2023/04/26/new-zealand-seeks-industry-input-for-maritime-helicopters-drones/#:~:text=The%20Defence%20Force's%202019%20annual,life%20of%2 0the%20Seasprite%20fleet.%E2%80%9D

Anyhow see Leonardo are marketing the Wildcat as a contender

https://verticalmag.com/press-releases/leonardo-showcases-aw159-wildcat-as-solution-for-new-zealand-maritime-helicopter-replacement/

and in the last 24 hours Leonardo and local suppliers in country have signed a MoU

https://defsec.net.nz/2024/03/20/leonardo-partners-with-new-zealand-suppliers-maritime-helicopter/

Any thoughts or will the Kiwis probably go the way of their neighbours - and purchase the Romeo Hawk?

cheers

Union Jack
20th Mar 2024, 14:45
Funny looking kiwi....:rolleyes:

Jack

minigundiplomat
20th Mar 2024, 14:51
I speak as a Kiwi, but the NZ government will list endless requirements and then pick the cheapest because it always comes down to affordability. Bid any platform you like, but be aware its a price competition.

Union Jack
20th Mar 2024, 15:03
I speak as a Kiwi, but the NZ government will list endless requirements and then pick the cheapest because it always comes down to affordability. Bid any platform you like, but be aware its a price competition.
Oops! I nearly repeated Post #2 but then remembered what you did for a living....:D

Jack

Nescafe
20th Mar 2024, 21:37
If the Kiwis are looking for a buyer for the SeaSprites, I believe Australia is in the market for another badly managed helicopter purchase.

minigundiplomat
21st Mar 2024, 11:40
They'll buy something French.

It's like when you go out and are determined not to drink, and end up dancing the lambada with Doris from the office after 15 tequila's. The Aussie's always set out with the best of intentions and wake up next to a french salesman holding a signed contract.

helispotter
21st Mar 2024, 11:49
They'll buy something French.... The Aussie's always set out with the best of intentions and wake up next to a french salesman holding a signed contract.

Or a US salesman, or Spanish, or British, or German, or Italian, or Swiss... etc: Just look at the diversity of ADF purchases over recent decades. Some have been successful by all accounts. Others not so. Don't think country of salesman has much to do with the outcome.

ericferret
21st Mar 2024, 14:46

A military truism

"Any serviceman going into action knows that his weapon was supplied by the lowest bidder!"

KiwiNedNZ
21st Mar 2024, 17:15
chopper2004

an H-92 Superhawk in NZ colors ...

May wish to read up on which roundel belongs to which country :)

Last time I looked we didnt have kangaroos here in NZ

chopper2004
21st Mar 2024, 17:37
chopper2004

Oops, corrected ta,

cheers

RVDT
21st Mar 2024, 19:08
chopper2004

Apparently there are over a million Wallabies in NZ versus ~ 70 thousand Kiwi so maybe someone knows something?

Union Jack
21st Mar 2024, 21:10
chopper2004

Glad you spotted Post #2....:D

Jack

rrekn
21st Mar 2024, 22:40
The Kiwi's are too smart to buy an unproven design, they'll get something off the shelf and leave the Aussies and Canadians to buy a "We want one like they've got, but we want to change everything about it..."

That lights normal!
22nd Mar 2024, 03:56
“The Aussie's always set out with the best of intentions and wake up next to a french salesman holding a signed contract.”

Yes, but that’s why we build EC120’s in Australia, apparently.
(Allegedly, one reason we bought {fell for?} the “Tiger”, was the promise of manufacturing jobs in Australia.)

helispotter
22nd Mar 2024, 17:03
chopper2004

And last time I looked, the kangaroo didn't face backwards on the RAAF rounded either, regardless which side it was applied to.

Lonewolf_50
23rd Mar 2024, 00:21
"Any serviceman going into action knows that his weapon was supplied by the lowest bidder!" I flew SH-2Fs. I wish I could have flown SH-2Gs.