PDA

View Full Version : Oxford

tom_higginson
4th Sep 2002, 14:52
Has anyone been to oxford? If so how hard/easy was the course?

Is it worth its money? Is the teaching really that much better, and the extra flying hours so important as they make out?

Thanks;)

The Boy Lard
4th Sep 2002, 15:54
Tom,

I went to Oxford and had a thoroughly great time, worked hard and enjoyed the instructors.

What I cant tell you is what its like compared to any other schools because I've only been to Oxford. There are plenty on this forum who will knock OATS for whatever reason, but IMHO its a great place to go.

I suggest doing a search on OATS/Oxford and have a read, but be prepared to make yourself comfortable as youre in for a loooong night.

Cheers

TBL:D

Gavin Sweet
4th Sep 2002, 16:03
Tom

I also went to Oxford and graduated in 2000.

I had a really good time but it is a tough course. It has changed a little now with extra twin hours and fewer single hours.

Personally I think it is a better course as the extra twin hours will ensure a better first time pass on your IR and that is very important when looking for a job. The instructors at Oxford were very good and the school does have a good reputation. However, they are there to make money and will try and screw you if they can.

Good luck!

Field In Sight
4th Sep 2002, 16:05
I've almost finished the ATPL distance learning groundschool with Oxford (8 weeks to my last set of exams). I must say that the notes/brushup course have both been excellent and the course is also competitively priced.

I achieved high percentage passes in all of my first 8 exams and am confident of doing the same in the remaining 6. Which in my view is the entire point.

My advice is that if at all possible do the ground school full time. The hardest thing I have found about distance learning is remaining focused for such a long period of time.

Good luck anyway.

Gin Slinger
4th Sep 2002, 16:24
...and the extra flying hours so important as they make out?
I'm sure any FTO will give you as many twin hours (or otherwise) as you want. All FTO's quote on the minimum total hours required by the regulator.

More twin hours = more expense, less twin hours = less expense.

Don't get your knickers in a twist about the odd hour here or there. It will take as many as it takes.

sally at pprune
4th Sep 2002, 21:03
Tom, what extra hours? As far as I can see their course hours = the bare minimum for licence issue.

pinkpilot
5th Sep 2002, 08:59
Field in sight What was your time table for doing the ATPL ground school did you do the sugggested 15 hour per week and complete it in 12 months??
Just thinking about starting it and I would like to have an idea of a realistic time scale.
Thx Pp