PDA

View Full Version : UK airline ready for 70/80k can it be done?

Docash19831983
14th Mar 2024, 10:19
Hi all,

Bit of advice please. Im soon to be on a position to use inheritance to self fund flight training. However, the maximum i can afford realistically is 70-80k. I appreciate thay this wont include a type raring. I am going to undertake thr CAA class 1 first before i part with a penny.

Has anyone in recent times been able to achieve their commecial training: PPL, Night rating, ATPL exams, CPL, MEP, MEIR, MCC and UPRT in the UK on a modular basis ( as its cheaper) but treting it like its integrated, within that financial bracket?

How did you do it?

Obsticles faced?

Any advice / guidance would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

docash19831983

A320LGW
15th Mar 2024, 03:20
That should be plenty. Exact time length depends on the backlog at whatever flight school(s) you choose to attend and your own progress.

If I was you, my main concern would be what is the job market like at the end of your training. Airline jobs are few and far between. Add Brexit to that (are you able to work in Europe?). Exhaust all airline cadet opportunities, BA and TUI just off the top of my head. Check out Ryanair's cadet programme too, from 0 to RHS 737 with them via their partner flight school. It may cost slightly more than what you've got, but definitely worth it if you can save up for the small remainder. It's an all but guaranteed path to success.

rudestuff
15th Mar 2024, 06:29
The biggest hurdle is getting the first job. Almost anyone can get a fATPL, and your budget is plenty. The advantage of modular is you have more control over the time line. Most prior interpret this as modular can be spread out, but it can also be done much quicker than integrated too.

paco
15th Mar 2024, 12:49
At least with modular you get paperwork in your hand at an earlier stage. Got a couple of students who have been washed out for no other reason than the school wants more money, and they haven't even got a PPL.

WindyTurtle
15th Mar 2024, 14:29
go onto wingsalliance.eu and become a free member. they provide good info on UK modular training. importantly, they have a 2023 price list that you can refer to. rudestuff knows it well, but it goes something like PPL, ATPL, night rating, IRR, SECBIR, MEP, MEIR conversion, CPL, APS MCC, UPRT, and any required hour building in between. this is also the modular route suggested by Bristol Ground School. Wings Alliance estimates >£56000 excluding medical, skill test and license fees; rudestuff says roughly £45000 in total; and I've done a sum of all the training, equipment and test fees for a couple of reputable UK/EASA schools and ATOs in the UK, and it comes up to about £57000. so a safe number should be £60000, excluding travel from your home to the airfield.

your budget is plenty for dual-license. regarding the first job, i cant really help there, however it's generally good advice to always have some kind of fall-back plan. if you already have a career with some experience, then thats great!

definitely go to Pilot Careers Live in Manchester or London. a lot of it is the integrated schools selling themselves to you, but i found it useful to find out more about the different pathways, schools to potentially do your modular training at (i.e. Stapleford), learn about the job itself, talk to airlines etc etc