PDA

View Full Version : Old Footage from Northern Ireland!

206Fan
12th Mar 2024, 02:57
Came across some old footage on YouTube from the Helicopter Operations in NI. I was in Secondary School beside Bessbrook Heliport at the time, I vaguely remember the teachers fresh mug of coffee taking a walk off the table one morning when the Chinooks went over!

Helicopter Operations in South Armagh, N. Ireland during Troubles era (youtube.com)

RAF Chinook helicopter in bessbrook mill (youtube.com)

Westland Wessex helicopter from RAF Aldergrove on exercise with Mourne mountain rescue team (youtube.com)

Gazelle helicopter, 5 Regiment AAC, Northern Ireland (youtube.com)

72 Sqn Northern Ireland 1981 (youtube.com)

Rare sas footage from Ireland (youtube.com)

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
12th Mar 2024, 12:29
Is that Palace Barracks Hollywood in the Gazelle film ? My memory is fading with age (and years of excessive beer), but I got a warm fuzzy feeling somewhere inimate. The film led me to the Plastic Pub and Mess discos !

NEO

Thud_and_Blunder
12th Mar 2024, 13:00
I've just watched the 72 Sqn vid - must've been B Flt (I'd just been posted out of A Flt to go to 28 before the Benson move). Even allowing for the cine-to-video inevitable glitches it's a lovely evocation of the time I spent on my first tour... The fella in-frame in the still was a frequent contributor to this site for some time; I believe he may have moved across to the States now. He used to share a surplus MQ at Odiham with Scottie W and another fella (after we were all moved out of the asbestos-construction "annex"); they had all the household bills sent to "Mr T H E Swamp".

Immediately recalled the words to the tune of "d'ye ken John Peel" - "...if you come in too fast you can almost score a goal, it's a good place to let the co-pilot have the pole... and you're alwaaaays down-wind in the moooorning".

Thankyou for posting that - much appreciated! Now to have a look at the others...