PDA

View Full Version : PPL South Africa

Dakota Queen
4th Sep 2002, 13:21
Hi all

Going to break out of the corporate mould that I'm presently trapped in! I want do to a PPL, SA seems to have good rates & good weather. I know there is a JAR school but I was thinking of just getting the standard SA PPL.

Any thoughts on
1. The best schools - ever heard of Good Hope? Ideally I want one on the south coast
2. Is it easy to convert to JAA PPL, cost, exams etc
3. If I decide to train for CPL, is the PPL recognised, is there a discount for students who have a PPL.

Thanks all in advance

B 24 turret gunner

Piper Warrior Pilot
4th Sep 2002, 13:31
Ive spent a lot of time recently p*****g people off on PPRUNE for posting about PPL in SA so i have a load of information for you.

1. Excellent schools in South Africa are the Algoa Flight Centre in Port Elizabeth and 43 Air School in Port Alfred. Do a search on google and you will find their websties.

2. Conversion is quite easy. Im not completely sure about this only about 80% but all you need to do is have a check ride with a flying school inthe UK, take the exams again and send off all your documents to the CAA with your 143 pounds. Or you can wait until you have 100 hours and then just take the Air Law exam again. I think.

3.Not sure about this one. Your best bet would be to contact Glynis at Algoa or Frik at 43 Air School, their contact details can be found on their websites. I think there would be.

I have just recieved a cd from 43 air school and a package from Algoa flight centre. I have changed my mind about flying in South Africa and so do not require these anymore. If you would like me to send them to you, drop me an e-mail or private message and i will be happy to post them out to you. Alternatively you could contact the flying schools and ask them to send them out to you (this can take up to 4 weeks).

If you have any questions e-mail me, i have the information in e-mails etc... and i can dig it out for you.

regards