PDA

View Full Version : Do UK hours on G reg count towards CPL in Australia

WillyJ09
9th Mar 2024, 14:08
Hello,

I am a dual citizen and aspiring commercial pilot. I have completed my PPL in the UK and successfully converted it to an Auz PPL as I intend to carry out commercial flight training in Australia and eventually settle down there permanently. I have around 70 hours in G reg planes and am curious as to whether that will contribute to my total hours needed for attempting my CPL? If it does how should I approach flight schools regarding my training program, would it make more sense to enrol in a modular 141 flight school or enter halfway through a Part 142 training centre?

I am interested in back country flying but also looking for an airfield that supports controlled airspace for IFR ratings etc. So at the moment am looking for flight centres around Melbourne that can offer a mix of both.

Excited to start my journey and open to any suggestions or tips about what to expect from the knowledge base!

AerocatS2A
9th Mar 2024, 17:15
Hours are hours. It doesn’t matter where you do them.

Propjet88
9th Mar 2024, 21:12
They will count towards a Part 141 (200 hour) CPL program but it will be very difficult to get them recognised towards a Part 142 (150 hour) integrated CPL course. My personal suggestion would be to approach a Part 141 flight school (shop around) and do a couple of hours dual that will allow you to sample the quality of training you receive and, if it suits, stay on to complete CPL / IR etc or move on to another.
Fly Safe
PJ88

43Inches
9th Mar 2024, 21:26
If you wish to do the 150 hour CPL integrated course you would have to have been enrolled in an equivalent course in the UK to have any chance of the hours counting towards the same here. I would aim for the 200 hour CPL, which has no set course, however you have to achieve the same standard. Use your PPL to build solo time and get ahead on the theory, you can even start Multi and IFR training to count towards the 200 total. As above shop around schools to see who would have the best ideas for a training program to ensure you get to CPL standard efficiently and test ready.