PDA

View Full Version : VH-MEH off field landing

172heavy
8th Mar 2024, 22:53
It appears that GAM's VH-MEH conducted an off field landing in a paddock near Bathurst yesterday during the PM freight run. Looks like the pilot did a great job 👏

https://7news.com.au/news/pilot-brings-plane-down-in-paddock-next-to-great-western-hwy-near-bathurst-c-13878865

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-meh

Desert Flower
9th Mar 2024, 00:43
Emergency services were already in the area following a two-car crash in Kirkconnell which backed up traffic on the highway. Authorities have not suggested the incidents are linked.

No kidding! :ugh:

DF.

Clinton McKenzie
9th Mar 2024, 00:55
But apparently the drivers of the cars and the pilot of the GAM aircraft were not wearing hats. Spooky coincidence…

Desert Flower
9th Mar 2024, 01:05
But apparently the drivers of the cars and the pilot of the GAM aircraft were not wearing hats. Spooky coincidence…

Oh dear - & now the conspiracy theories will start!

DF.

CIC
9th Mar 2024, 01:07
But betcha the car driver did not have an ASIC card.

TBM-Legend
9th Mar 2024, 01:56
Check those tanks

AmarokGTI
9th Mar 2024, 03:59
Did anyone hear the ATC chat at the time?

compressor stall
9th Mar 2024, 05:41
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x393/screenshot_2024_03_09_at_5_40_00_pm_b4674b063fe05ba26cad5cf1 802cc6d77a8a21bf.png

Unlikely that one was shut down looking at those props. Any maydays?

Usual caveats from FR24 - looks like it got to 6400 in climb then immediate turn and descent with increase in speed then a slow steady decrease in speed to landing.

Desert Flower
9th Mar 2024, 05:56
Check those tanks

Shades of a Shrike landing on a beach in Adelaide many years ago!

DF.

Capt Fathom
9th Mar 2024, 05:59
Get the farmer to slash the grass and she'll be good to go! :E

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2024, 06:01
Shades of a Shrike landing on a beach in Adelaide many years ago!

Yers! My (Ours, DF) old Mate JH did a bloody good job in that case. :ok:

Fuel contamination was the culprit in that particular case, IIRC.

Desert Flower
9th Mar 2024, 12:57
Yers! My (Ours, DF) old Mate JH did a bloody good job in that case. :ok:

Fuel contamination was the culprit in that particular case, IIRC.

He sure did! This is from the ATSB report: The aircraft had been carrying sufficient fuel for the flight, the fuel tank caps were correctly secured and the fuel
tank vents were not blocked. Fuel samples taken from the fuel tanker which had recently refuelled the aircraft
showed that the correct type of fuel had been supplied, and was not contaminated.
The fuel filters were removed and fuel samples taken from the aircraft for analysis. The filters were found to be
blocked by a considerable amount of foreign matter restricting the fuel flow.

It's odd that they say "the fuel tank caps" because there was only one fuel tank cap on that old girl!

DF.

runway16
9th Mar 2024, 16:27
He sure did! This is from the ATSB report: The aircraft had been carrying sufficient fuel for the flight, the fuel tank caps were correctly secured and the fuel
tank vents were not blocked. Fuel samples taken from the fuel tanker which had recently refuelled the aircraft
showed that the correct type of fuel had been supplied, and was not contaminated.
The fuel filters were removed and fuel samples taken from the aircraft for analysis. The filters were found to be
blocked by a considerable amount of foreign matter restricting the fuel flow.

It's odd that they say "the fuel tank caps" because there was only one fuel tank cap on that old girl!

DF.
Hmm! There is an issue here. Double engine failure in a twin is very unusual. Foreign matter in the filters? What was that and how did it get in there? It looks like that aircraft will fly again after a buff-up. Good work by the pilot. Nothing worse than having a twin engine glider. Bet a change of his undies after a very strong coffee.

Desert Flower
9th Mar 2024, 20:33
Hmm! There is an issue here. Double engine failure in a twin is very unusual. Foreign matter in the filters? What was that and how did it get in there? It looks like that aircraft will fly again after a buff-up. Good work by the pilot. Nothing worse than having a twin engine glider. Bet a change of his undies after a very strong coffee.

From the ATSB report: The aircraft often operates through the channel countries of South Australia and Queensland, a lot of the time in
dusty conditions. Refuelling is carried out using drum stock when contaminants could easily be introduced into the
fuel system.
The rapid blockage of the fuel filters, which occurred after the aircraft departed, was probably the result of the
aircraft fuel system being contaminated over a period of time with an accumulation of extremely fine particles
which would have been difficult to detect during water drain checks, and settled forming a sediment at the bottom of
the tank. These remained relatively undisturbed until fuel was added to the low level of fuel in the tank, stirring the
particles into suspension. This may have concentrated the contamination so that the filters, already partially
degraded by contaminants, were further degraded quickly to a point when fuel flow to the engines was severely
restricted.

DF.

43Inches
9th Mar 2024, 21:30
I've had two cars have blocked fuel lines due to different types of contaminant in the fuel tanks, in both cases the engines ran as normal, until they didn't and stopped. Although it's interesting that it would block both/two engines at the same time. That said, I also know of a double engine failure that involved two oil pumps failing within 20 minutes of each other.

Apart from the obvious lack of fuel causing this, I can think also they possibly put AVTUR in it by mistake. Not having an engine feathered is interesting as well, a twin will glide a lot further with both feathered, some better than big singles with short wings.

deja vu
10th Mar 2024, 00:48
Maybe the old girl was just worn out.
I flew AC500 -MEH on coastal surveillance between Darwin and Kunanarra and back numerous times in 1980-1981. It wasn't a young machine even then

Global Aviator
10th Mar 2024, 03:19
Maybe the old girl was just worn out.
I flew AC500 -MEH on coastal surveillance between Darwin and Kunanarra and back numerous times in 1980-1981. It wasn't a young machine even then

Not the same machine but ya gotta love what can be done -

https://twincommander.com/custom-kits-modifications/renaissance/

Terrey
10th Mar 2024, 04:47
Bob Hoover did it for fun, and threw in some no engine aerobatics as well.

Engines shut down at 7:05 in video

Bob Hoover

On eyre
13th Mar 2024, 00:41
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x393/screenshot_2024_03_09_at_5_40_00_pm_b4674b063fe05ba26cad5cf1 802cc6d77a8a21bf.png

Unlikely that one was shut down looking at those props. Any maydays?

Usual caveats from FR24 - looks like it got to 6400 in climb then immediate turn and descent with increase in speed then a slow steady decrease in speed to landing.

So what actually happened ?
Fuel starvation caused by what exactly ?

dejapoo
13th Mar 2024, 02:10

Steve would have had it out and airborne by now.

Pinky the pilot
13th Mar 2024, 03:24
deja vu; Check your Pm's please.

Kagamuga
13th Mar 2024, 11:21
43 inches,

easy to put Jet a1 into the wrong aircraft. VH-MEH and P2-MEH parked alongside each other at BNE.
Refueler to his credit would not refuel either aircraft without the PIC being in attendance, just to make sure!.

Capt Fathom
13th Mar 2024, 11:24
43 inches,

Refueler to his credit would not refuel either aircraft with the PIC being in attendance, just to make sure!.

What…. did he ask them to leave? :E

Kagamuga
13th Mar 2024, 12:08
Capt. Fixed spelling !!! well done you....

flyingfox
14th Mar 2024, 02:52
Not the same machine but ya gotta love what can be done -

https://twincommander.com/custom-kits-modifications/renaissance/
What happened to the former MEH?

Biggles24
15th Mar 2024, 13:19
Not GAM related, but this reminds me of once finding soil inside the fuel tanks of a Piper Tomahawk at Essendon during a preflight fuel drain. Refused to fly it and the owner said they would sort it out. Turns out they did not for quite some time. Always thought it highly suspicious - the perfect contaminants to block the filter causing an engine failure. It would be difficult to differentiate the cause amongst the burnt out debris field. An insurance claim waiting to happen. Still have a photo sent to me from the hour hungry instructor who worked for the mob when they finally flew it to Moorabbin for inspection - a half a shovel load in each tank.

AmarokGTI
21st Mar 2024, 04:18
ATSB is calling it fuel exhaustion (not starvation)

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2024/report/ao-2024-008

Coincidentally (or otherwise) I heard a GAM crew asking a Rex crew a few days after this event if they could slow down and let them go number 1 as they were low on fuel.

TCAS FAN
21st Mar 2024, 08:47

Did it happen or is it coming out on a truck?

Horatio Leafblower
21st Mar 2024, 09:33
Nothing on Fight Aware since the incident flight.

Capt Fathom
21st Mar 2024, 12:44
Nothing on Fight Aware since the incident flight

No doubt staying below the radar! :E​​​​​​​

bolthead
22nd Mar 2024, 10:11
Don't know if fitted, but have witnessed before on same type, the pilot pays little to no attention to the fuel gauge and concentrates on the fuel computer ( I would believe which ever one is less ). How accurate is the fuel computer? How accurate are the numbers entered? It might under read a bit or over read a bit which adds up over a few weeks if you are just entering fuel added. If it is under reading , unless you fill tanks full, you will never know until it goes very quiet.
That aircraft type is tricky to physically check a part fuel load. If they depart the main bases with full fuel, it is easy to do a daily check of the computer and gauge when filled again. Possibly their loads limit that.

Capt Fathom
22nd Mar 2024, 11:30
It’s not that hard.
These pilots fly the same routes every day… same aircraft, same payload, same fuel load. Something got missed on this occasion.

On eyre
22nd Mar 2024, 11:49
It’s not that hard.
These pilots fly the same routes every day… same aircraft, same payload, same fuel load. Something got missed on this occasion.

Yes - like adding fuel 😳😳

Bog Down
22nd Mar 2024, 12:54
Don't know if fitted, but have witnessed before on same type, the pilot pays little to no attention to the fuel gauge and concentrates on the fuel computer ( I would believe which ever one is less ). How accurate is the fuel computer? How accurate are the numbers entered? It might under read a bit or over read a bit which adds up over a few weeks if you are just entering fuel added. If it is under reading , unless you fill tanks full, you will never know until it goes very quiet.
That aircraft type is tricky to physically check a part fuel load. If they depart the main bases with full fuel, it is easy to do a daily check of the computer and gauge when filled again. Possibly their loads limit that.

Back in my day, there were no fuel computers in any of the aircraft, that could have changed but I'm fairly sure it hasn't.

It’s not that hard.

Yes - like adding fuel 😳😳

You're right in saying the same fuel every day, from memory the Parkes freight run is fuelled to full tanks out of Bankstown (by the truck) and then it was generally refuelled in Parkes during the day, pilots often didn't fuel in Parkes if the weather was good. Generally (if no Inter or Tempo) you had enough fuel to get back to Bankstown without refuelling.

It seems that a likely cause was the aircraft wasn't refuelled at all or to the correct full tanks amount and the pilot may not have realised.

The ATSB in their latest report is calling it a "Fuel Exhaustion" indicating they found the tanks to be dry.

bolthead
25th Mar 2024, 10:27
Also there are two types of 'full' in a Shrike. There is the slow and steady full, and there is the refueller is in a hurry and has a fast pump full. You can be surprised how much you get short changed with the second one.

compressor stall
25th Mar 2024, 11:30
There are several possibilities in running out of fuel on the final stages of flight. .

Significantly fewer of those possibilities exist so soon after take off.

That said I recall a different strike different century (almost) and maybe a different scenario. New (although experienced) pilot returned from his first long flight. Next flight was full tanks. The amount of fuel that went in showed that there would have been about 5 mins flight time remaining on arrival of the inbound aircraft.

Quick calcs showed the fuel burn without leaning the mixtures in cruise would have lead to that fuel burn over that flight.
DCM.

Duck Pilot
25th Mar 2024, 19:40
There are several possibilities in running out of fuel on the final stages of flight. .

Significantly fewer of those possibilities exist so soon after take off.

That said I recall a different strike different century (almost) and maybe a different scenario. New (although experienced) pilot returned from his first long flight. Next flight was full tanks. The amount of fuel that went in showed that there would have been about 5 mins flight time remaining on arrival of the inbound aircraft.

Quick calcs showed the fuel burn without leaning the mixtures in cruise would have lead to that fuel burn over that flight.
DCM.

That’s points directly to a failure in the training and checking system, should have also booted the check pilot who released the incident pilot to line.

No such thing as just culture in the previous century.

It’s been years since I’ve flown a Shrike Commander, however not having a means to dip the tank always made fuel calculations critical unless starting with a full tank.

Desert Flower
25th Mar 2024, 21:48
Also there are two types of 'full' in a Shrike. There is the slow and steady full, and there is the refueller is in a hurry and has a fast pump full. You can be surprised how much you get short changed with the second one.

Patience was definitely the key with those!

DF.

havick
25th Mar 2024, 23:07

Same as the BK117.

Pinky the pilot
26th Mar 2024, 09:04
Patience was definitely the key with those!

Those words of wisdom coming from a Lady who refuelled a Shrike Commander (and a few Chieftains) more times than I've had hot dinners!!:ok:

Betcha miss the Minties and Fruitcake slices!

prickly
27th Mar 2024, 00:38
No refueller can consider themselves experienced until they have filled an MU2 whilst adding Prist.

Desert Flower
27th Mar 2024, 21:52
No refueller can consider themselves experienced until they have filled an MU2 whilst adding Prist.

Well dang - I guess I can't call myself experienced then, because although I've fuelled several MU2's in my time (had two N-registered ones on the ground at once on one occasion) I was never asked to put Prist in. Put it in a fair few other aircraft though!

DF.

AmarokGTI
28th Mar 2024, 18:17
Video from yesterday - MEH lifted by helicopter to YBTH

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/hkk5xD5TMoNYJKGu/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Lead Balloon
28th Mar 2024, 20:18
Looks like EH-60A Black Hawk N61AA did the job:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/n61aa_eh_60a_black_hawk_338303ad0d0ca23fb26c90867ca6ded15b28 9ef3.jpg
:

KRviator
28th Mar 2024, 21:46
I can't be the only one wonderin' so I'll ask the question - why the drogue chute out the back when the aircraft itself would be directionally stable anyway on account of the fin & rudder?

Lead Balloon
28th Mar 2024, 23:32
I doubt the fin and rudder would do much at the slow transit speed, but happy to stand corrected.

(I'm reminded of the not-so-successful attempt to lift the Searey off Lake Eyre and carry her to William Creek. Helicopter crew jettisoned the Searey after she started to swing increasingly during the transit. Thing ended up a pancake on the back of a trailer. Sad picture.)

Gne
29th Mar 2024, 00:49
I can't be the only one wonderin' so I'll ask the question - why the drogue chute out the back when the aircraft itself would be directionally stable anyway on account of the fin & rudder?
Looks more like a wind indicator (windsock) used as warning flag, much the same as used on wide loads on the highways.

MJG

Duck Pilot
29th Mar 2024, 01:11
The chute prevents the requirement to have a pilot in the aircraft to keep it straight and level. Disadvantage is that if the aircraft is jettisoned from the helicopter it will pretty much plummet to the ground whereas if there was a pilot in it, the aircraft could be flown to a forced landing area.

I's all about safety and risk mitigation, as per the CASA requirements.

There are a few questions about this in the CASA exams.

Pilot will also be able to log the hours as well.

Squawk7700
29th Mar 2024, 02:33
The chute prevents the requirement to have a pilot in the aircraft to keep it straight and level. Disadvantage is that if the aircraft is jettisoned from the helicopter it will pretty much plummet to the ground whereas if there was a pilot in it, the aircraft could be flown to a forced landing area.

I's all about safety and risk mitigation, as per the CASA requirements.

There are a few questions about this in the CASA exams.

Pilot will also be able to log the hours as well.

It’s fairly safe to be in it, but there’s a dead-man’s curve below about 1,000ft for the aircraft to gain flying speed after being dropped off.

Valdiviano
29th Mar 2024, 07:00
https://www.100asa.com.au/
Lead Ballon, here is the SeaRey you refer to, ready to embark
on another adventure

Mach E Avelli
29th Mar 2024, 10:10
Well dang - I guess I can't call myself experienced then, because although I've fuelled several MU2's in my time (had two N-registered ones on the ground at once on one occasion) I was never asked to put Prist in. Put it in a fair few other aircraft though!

DF.
Maybe you never worked in the Arctic then? If you didn’t get the ladder jammed under the wing, you done good, but…

Desert Flower
29th Mar 2024, 10:45
Maybe you never worked in the Arctic then? If you didn’t get the ladder jammed under the wing, you done good, but…

Eh no - just in the far north of South Australia. And I didn't get a ladder jammed under the wing because I knew how those suckers could drop without warning!

DF.

WingNut60
29th Mar 2024, 12:46

What happens to the cable when the aircraft is jettisoned?
It disconnects at the top end, I believe.

It'd make "flying to a forced landing area" a bit tricky, I'd have thought.

Duck Pilot
29th Mar 2024, 13:29
What happens to the cable when the aircraft is jettisoned?
It disconnects at the top end, I believe.

It'd make "flying to a forced landing area" a bit tricky, I'd have thought.

Hook line and sinker, didn’t take long!

Clearly demonstrates the level of in experience within the aviation industry at the moment!

WingNut60
29th Mar 2024, 13:41
Hook line and sinker, didn’t take long!

Clearly demonstrates the level of in experience within the aviation industry at the moment!
I merely posed a question.
Don't want to answer? No problem.

Lead Balloon
30th Mar 2024, 06:29
https://www.100asa.com.au/
Lead Ballon, here is the SeaRey you refer to, ready to embark
on another adventure
As an erstwhile owner of a SeaRey, I'm very happy to hear that, Valdiviano!