PDA

View Full Version : APD INCREASE

MichaelOLearyGenius
6th Mar 2024, 05:28
Hunt expected to raise APD for biz class passengers in today’s budget.

Asturias56
6th Mar 2024, 08:53
Little evidence it has much effect TBH - especially on Business class -

ZFT
6th Mar 2024, 10:26
You sure about that? I now travel to UK via Brussels to avoid APD and I'm not alone. Other go via ME to avoid highest rate.

Howard Long
6th Mar 2024, 15:34
You sure about that? I now travel to UK via Brussels to avoid APD and I'm not alone. Other go via ME to avoid highest rate.

Indeed, or by making deliberately circuitous routes such as going via Inverness or Dublin, avoiding the longhaul APD, as well as bolstering their Frequent Flyer status.

S.o.S.
7th Mar 2024, 11:03
I'm guessing this is easy money for the govt. A56 gives the answer that they have planned on.

PAXboy
7th Mar 2024, 14:46
The older I get, the more I take the directs and pay. In years gone by, I did go via AMS, BRU, FRA, MUC but the only reason to do so now would be to catch (another) ride on LH 748 upstairs ...

Mr Mac
7th Mar 2024, 19:49
I think you may see some people do this, especially more savvy younger people. It’s quite noticeable that my flights out of UK at corporate and private rates are cheaper via Europe than direct from UK. As an example two business class to Oman with EK ex Manchester just over £8k alternative via Munich and Oman Air £4200. That is a big difference, and will get bigger with today’s Budget announcement.

Cheers
Mr Mac

ZFT
7th Mar 2024, 22:20
The older I get, the more I take the directs and pay. In years gone by, I did go via AMS, BRU, FRA, MUC but the only reason to do so now would be to catch (another) ride on LH 748 upstairs ...

I find it can be quicker and certanly easier to get to central London via Brussels and Amsterdam using Eurostar than the nightmare of Heathrow .

Asturias56
8th Mar 2024, 07:54

We've done the same - but , TBH , the difference in airfares eastbound from say from Paris or AMS cp Uk airports already dwarves the APD

Squawk 6042
8th Mar 2024, 08:46
Could someone clarify. I thought a through ticket UK via continental Europe to far east say still attracts APD for the full trip. The APD is not just for the short hop to AMS, FRA etc. unless the tickets are booked separately.

Asturias56
8th Mar 2024, 12:52
It does see Calder

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/air-passenger-duty-flight-tax-b2508212.html

"The “final ticketed destination” is important. If you are travelling on a “through ticket,” eg. Manchester-Amsterdam-Hong Kong or Birmingham-Frankfurt-Mumbai, the long-haul rate applies (unless you are spending over 24 hours at the transit point)."

ZFT
8th Mar 2024, 15:11
Which is why Eurostar is a cost effective alternate

PAXboy
8th Mar 2024, 17:50
I have lived within 50 mins drive of LHR for the best part of 45 years, with LTN even closer, so have a lot of options. I agree that Eurostar is brilliant. However, to get from home, to local train station, then across to Eurostar, then an airport for a long haul... That is not worth the physical effort of suitcases to taxi, train, taxi, train, change trains to get to the airport.

Family can drive us to LHR in 45 mins, traffic dependent of course. I expect that most older folk will pay.

Asturias56
9th Mar 2024, 13:29
we make a holiday out of it - a couple of days in the NL or France .... and we still come out ahead

SWBKCB
9th Mar 2024, 14:43
I have lived within 50 mins drive of LHR for the best part of 45 years, with LTN even closer, so have a lot of options. I agree that Eurostar is brilliant. However, to get from home, to local train station, then across to Eurostar, then an airport for a long haul... That is not worth the physical effort of suitcases to taxi, train, taxi, train, change trains to get to the airport.

And assuming you live anywhere near a Eurostar train....

PAXboy
9th Mar 2024, 15:10
HS2 passes a mile from us but will be of zero use to us. Perhaps when Mrs PAX​​boy is fully retired we can make that kind of diversion.