PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Basin / NSW Coastal Flying Conditions

Aussie Andy
4th Sep 2002, 10:02
Hi everyone,

There's a great thread over on the Private Flying (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65650) forum which contains some thoughts and stories regarding poor flying conditrions encountered by low-time PPLs - but the thread relates mainly to the UK environment.

I will be flying in Australia whilst on holiday this year at Christmas time... I am wondering what the typical conditions, wx risks etc. might be that I should be alert for. I grew up in Sydney, but don't feel I have sufficient "aviation" related wx expectations.

Whilst back in Sydney visiting family and friends, I expect to make a number of flights including e.g. around the harbour etc.; up the coast as far as PMQ or Coffs; down the coast maybe as far as Nowra, inland to Canberra if time permits, and back via say KAT / RIC.

My expectations / prejudices of what to expect / look out for in Sydney area and the coastal fringes at this time of year are:

- mostly blue skies & good vis.
- some risk of thunderstorms, esp. with Southerly changes (how much warning do you get?)
- lots of traffic in the BK LoE (as I have just read on another thread here!)

I would be very interested in any inputs / info which can confirm any of this and add to my knowledge of what to expect and what to look out for. Of course, I'll be checked out by an instructor locally before I fly, but forewarned is forearmed!

One things for sure though, it'll be better in Sydney in January than here in London ;)

Thanks in advance,

Hugh Jarse
4th Sep 2002, 10:29
Mate, you've covered the key points yourself. The only other point I would add is low-level turbulence, both convective and orographic when flying on the east coast that time of year.

As far as Wx is concerned, check on NAIPS before you go, have the relative Flightwatch/AERIS frequencies handy for Wx updates and keep your eyes peeled.

You're an ex-local so you should know the weather patterns.

Most of all, have fun!

Aussie Andy
6th Sep 2002, 07:35
Thanks Hugh Jarse, much appreciated. And fun will be had for sure :)