PDA

View Full Version : Best ipad size for SkyDemon??

johni
27th Feb 2024, 08:01
Can anyone offer any guidance of what the best ipad size is for use with Skydemon?

I am looking at the 8.3" (mini) or 10" version, but I am not sure which would be best (in terms of usability, readability, physical space, battery etc)

It will be mounted on the windscreen using a RAM Suction mount, AS350 and AS355, for use in commercial charter VFR ops, single pilot.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Jackie350
27th Feb 2024, 09:34
I personally use a Galaxy Tab 8" strapped on my thigh with skydemon. I can fly 5-6 hours with a single charge and it's not too big to hinder with the collective.

206 jock
27th Feb 2024, 10:03
Personally, I find the Mini more than adequate, but others prefer the full fat version.I still use a Mini 4 which I only use in the aircraft, battery life is around 4 hours and is generally fine. Like all iPads, it hates being left in the sun, when it's prone to overheating.

I guess it's down to personal preference. Assuming it's still the same, the one thing I would recommend is to go for a cellular version - not that you necessarily need a SIM card but the cellular models also have GPS. I also have a PilotAware for traffic alerts, but I find this doesn't sync [properly with the iPad maybe 20% of the time, so end up using the iPad's GPS functionality.

muermel
27th Feb 2024, 17:33
Can anyone offer any guidance of what the best ipad size is for use with Skydemon?

I am looking at the 8.3" (mini) or 10" version, but I am not sure which would be best (in terms of usability, readability, physical space, battery etc)

It will be mounted on the windscreen using a RAM Suction mount, AS350 and AS355, for use in commercial charter VFR ops, single pilot.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Get the mini. Been using it for 7 years for mostly VFR. For IFR some people complain about the size regarding approach plates but I think that's more personal preference. The mini is small but big enough, battery life time is easily 4-5 hours, works nicely with an x grip ram mount and you can pick up a mini 5 for reasonable money (4G, 256 GB storage, 3 years old), I paid 350 Euros 3 weeks ago. Will use Skydemon until summer and than switch to Garmin Pilot App (company pays for it) since I will ned it for IR once in a while. The mini 6 could get a bit cheaper soon since the new generation is coming in but right now I would have paid 800 Euros so I went for the mini 5. BTW Skydemon is the best app for VFR flying. :ok:

Phoinix
27th Feb 2024, 17:56
Mini for me also. The latest version has more screen for the size. Also, had 10” pro version, which was too big for my preference. Also, more mass takes longer to cool down when the overheat happens.

johni
27th Feb 2024, 20:30
The 10" version is cheaper than the 8" mini version, not sure why this is.

Bug
27th Feb 2024, 20:44
......Assuming it's still the same, the one thing I would recommend is to go for a cellular version - not that you necessarily need a SIM card but the cellular models also have GPS. I also have a PilotAware for traffic alerts, but I find this doesn't sync [properly with the iPad maybe 20% of the time, so end up using the iPad's GPS functionality.
Very much agree, no matter what size, go for the iPad with Cellular version that has internal GPS (aka SIM Card version)
I had a non cellular ipad tied with Bluetooth to an external Garmin Go GPS puck but the Bluetooth connection frequently disconnected and before you could reconnect it the GPS puck would power off as no bluetooth connection.
I WOULD NEVER BUY A NON CELLULAR IPAD NOW FOR NAVIGATION.

paco
28th Feb 2024, 06:25
Get the mini - it doesn't bounce around so much

HeliboyDreamer
28th Feb 2024, 07:46
I use the mini and it is more than enough for the job.

As others have said go for the SIM card version. When I bough mine a few years back I told the Apple vendor that I would be using it for flying and he asked me if I needed a SIM card and I answered no. So I bought it without the sim card to later find out that if you don't go for the sim card version it also mean you won't have GPS.... :ugh: Be aware of this.

Another thing is I would advise to buy a RAM mount kit with two suctions, we all seen what could happen when iPad fell off (Chinook accident) and I have myself seen damages caused to one of our aircraft by one falling (thousands of repair cost and increase in insurance premium)

Bug
28th Feb 2024, 08:33
I use the mini and it is more than enough for the job.

As others have said go for the SIM card version. When I bough mine a few years back I told the Apple vendor that I would be using it for flying and he asked me if I needed a SIM card and I answered no. So I bought it without the sim card to later find out that if you don't go for the sim card version it also mean you won't have GPS.... :ugh: Be aware of this.

Another thing is I would advise to buy a RAM mount kit with two suctions, we all seen what could happen when iPad fell off (Chinook accident) and I have myself seen damages caused to one of our aircraft by one falling (thousands of repair cost and increase in insurance premium)

As to mount, I see you plan a suction mount.
I used a simple thigh knee pad mount and chose a mini as that size still allows full movement of cyclic if use a knee/thigh mount.
This works well:-

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1190/img_8831_337690ecef1819f74087aad51673862f91f4e4ce.jpeg

johni
28th Feb 2024, 11:19
Oh right, I had not heard about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDv0sD7XFg