PDA

View Full Version : 6 jets together over Dereham. Norfolk today....

Coltishall. loved it
26th Feb 2024, 17:24
Over Dereham today 26th Feb at around 1220pm. Twin engine large a/c, assume it was a tanker (looked to small for Voyager) and 5 fighters, 3 off one wing and 2 off the other. Just a little high to ident with just eyeballs. Just wondered who else saw them and what they were?

treadigraph
26th Feb 2024, 19:17
KC-10 Roma 31 and KC-135 Roma 32 with F-15s I think, after linking up they headed towards Lands End. There was a similar flight earlier which headed the same way, definitely F-15s out of Lakenheath with that one.

Coltishall. loved it
27th Feb 2024, 19:26
KC-10 Roma 31 and KC-135 Roma 32 with F-15s I think, after linking up they headed towards Lands End. There was a similar flight earlier which headed the same way, definitely F-15s out of Lakenheath with that one.

Thanks "tread"

That all makes complete sense.

Obviously was a KC-10 "twin tanker" as from that height you can't see the third. Just checked the size voyager/KC-10 and the 10 is quite a bit smaller.

As for the jets. With my eyes f35/15 look all the same at that height. Just very unusual to see that type of formation over land, normally in tanking mode when that close.

Mystery solved :ok:

treadigraph
27th Feb 2024, 19:42
I was up at Horning 18 months ago, I found the F-35s and F-15s damn hard to tell apart with the naked eye when they were above 10000 or so! One guy was going around and around, eventually after much squinting I decided it was an F-35!

Coltishall. loved it
17th Mar 2024, 21:30
I was up at Horning 18 months ago, I found the F-35s and F-15s damn hard to tell apart with the naked eye when they were above 10000 or so! One guy was going around and around, eventually after much squinting I decided it was an F-35!

Yeah agree. I think over the last year or so, if you are in east Anglia and see 2 or more jets arsing about they are going to be yank f-35's (the RAF are in their sims) Previously there was a guess between 35/15. But now the f-15c/d has gone home. Anyone know why an f-35 is much louder than an f-15? Telling a f-15 and f-35 apart when not too high seems to be the tailerons/flaperons? you know....the bit at the back which we used to call the tailplane;) There is a distinct difference if you have the correct glasses on :)