PDA

View Full Version : Allergies and EASA Class 1

Pippy39
26th Feb 2024, 16:15
I am applying for ATPL training and have been offered a training place. However I have food allergies. On my most recent visit to allergy clinic they confirmed that I have several food allergies and that I was now at risk of anaphylaxis (epipen prescribed). I am very careful and have not had an allergic reaction for over 10 years.

My questions - is it worth undertaking the training? If I go for the medical will I be awarded a Class 1 medical certificate (first one) with OML?
If this is the case, how much will this impact my ability to get a first officer job? I am worried about spending such a lot of money and then effectively rule myself out of any jobs.
Thanks

redsnail
1st Mar 2024, 16:18
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, still, it's better to know now and be proactively prescribed an epipen. Unfortunately though, that prescription puts you in the Class 1 OML class. Assuming what you've said is correct and the diagnosis is as you described, according to the UK CAA website, you should be able to obtain a Class 1 with OML.
https://www.caa.co.uk/media/rb2aq5qm/20231030-v1-0-allergy-flow-chart.pdf

Note, I am not a doctor or AME.

DreamchaserRoss
19th Apr 2024, 12:46
Hi there,

If you are applying for a UK CAA Class 1 Medical, you will most likely be issued a medical, but with an OML stipulated on it, unless you can prove that you no longer require an EpiPen.

What I am not yet sure of, is whether or not you can receive an initial EASA Class 1 medical with an OML limitation.

I have attached the flowchart used by the UK CAA when dealing with individuals who suffer from allergies such as yourself.

Good luck!