PDA

View Full Version : Double baggage fees with long layover - American Airlines

kitfox446
22nd Feb 2024, 20:20
Today I made an unfortunate discovery, perhaps the weirdest baggage policy I’ve ever encountered, buried in the fine print of American Airlines’ terms of carriage. This rule states that if you have a layover exceeding 16.5 hours, you “may be” charged for luggage again. I was indeed charged double.

I’m in the middle of an international relocation, and to keep things short and sweet, I checked four bags. I paid the fee, but had an overnight layover en route. After collecting my luggage and arriving to recheck it, I was hit with a bill of almost $500, even more than I had paid at the original point of departure.

The desk staff didn’t even know the policy themselves, and had to look it up and check with a supervisor to understand what the computer was saying. But after various calls, they confirmed that yes, I had to pay twice, and I even had to pay the higher international fees even though today’s itinerary is domestic only.

Suffice it say, I’m not happy to be caught out by such a rule, and a quick search of the web reveals quite a few complaints about American but no obvious mention of other airlines.

So, for pilots, cabin crew, and anyone else who might know: is there a reasonable justification for this policy? And do you know of any similar policies at other airlines? I’m struggling to think of a sensible reason for this, given that I had to collect the bags overnight and the airline does not appear to have any special handling requirements

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Feb 2024, 07:14
Wow, that is an insane policy. Surely your ticket is from point 'A' to point 'B' with the airline or alliance/group, and as they couldn't provide a reasonable connection a layover was required. To then recharge you for your luggage to complete the journey and at a higher international rate is bewildering to me. What a customer unfriendly policy! Was this pointed out clearly to you before you paid for the ticket and baggage charges ? If not, you might well have a case for compensation of some kind.

kitfox446
28th Mar 2024, 10:16
I spoke to various reps and even opened a formal complaint, yet unfortunately never received any explanation as to why this policy exists, or why the cutoff is 16.5 hours, etc. The entire experience has been unpleasant and I don't have the impression that American is making much effort to retain its customers. I took my final relocation flight with United and experienced no such surprises. So far I feel completely in the dark, and I imagine, so it shall remain

PAXboy
28th Mar 2024, 12:25
I have seen that many corporates now just ignore customers. I recently had a problem with BA seat bookings on a changed flight. Money down the drain. They know that the cost to us in time outweighs the cost in cash. I expect more to follow this line in their fabulous customer service, always putting us first blah blah blah.

Mr Mac
28th Mar 2024, 20:55
PaxBoy
BA and American are in the same alliance. I have not used American in around 15 years but always preferred Delta when possible but to be honest I stay away from US carriers and because where we operate I don’t have to. BA is not a carrier I use much and I do try and avoid but used on 4 legs last year and ok but dislike Heathrow.

The tale of the poster to be frank is outrageous. Customer service hits another low in the US.

Cheers
Mr Mac