PDA

View Full Version : Wodonga helipad proposal & risk to veterans

helispotter
21st Feb 2024, 22:10
Link to this "The Border Post" article appeared in my news feeds but as I am not a subscriber, I can only see the title and first paragraph. Still, that gives an indication of what it is about. Perhaps others here are subscribers or know more about this case:

https://www.bordermail.com.au/story/8526240/psychologist-warns-of-helipad-risk-in-wodonga-for-former-soldiers/

Wodonga is a city on the Victorian side of the NSW / Victorian border in Australia. A private helipad is proposed for Southern Wodonga.

I am assuming the report relates, in part, to triggering PTSD for former soldiers when hearing helicopters? I briefly searched the Rotorheads forum and it isn't obvious there has been a thread about that topic before, though it has been touched upon briefly. I recall the lyrics of the old Redgum song "I Was Only 19" which in part included: "...And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep? And why the Channel Seven chopper chills me to my feet?..."

Please keep any responses to this thread sensitive to others.

(I was way too young to be called up when Australia still had conscription, now probably too old if it was ever brought back in)

megan
21st Feb 2024, 23:48
And why the Channel Seven chopper chills me to my feet?..."The troops were more than happy to hear a chopper for often it meant a hot meal, extraction, help in the form of gun ship fire support, ammunition resupply etc. Of course the sound may take some back to the less than pleasant experiences they endured. (ex Vietnam helo jock).

meleagertoo
22nd Feb 2024, 09:38
It sounds as if the nimbys are getting ever more desperate and inventive in concocting the most ridiculously unlikely reasons to block a development.

Ascend Charlie
22nd Feb 2024, 09:41
I was asked to fly a Huey over an Anzac Day march. Afterwards, the vets came to me in tears of happiness, and all said it was a very moving experience to hear the "Sound of Freedom" bopping overhead again.

ShyTorque
22nd Feb 2024, 11:44
Sounds like a typical case of someone objecting “on behalf of” someone who may well not object and probably hasn’t even been asked, as part of an agenda.