PDA

View Full Version : Firefighting

A802
15th Feb 2024, 20:57
Hello everyone,

APologies if this is not the right subforum

I’ll soon finally manage to get my frozen ATPL and trying to look on what to do next. What I would like to do is firefighting but I can not manage to find much info on how to get into it, modalities, etc. Have done all online/modular and coming from a non-aviation family networking is not very great. On top of it, from what I have seen it seems even more complicated to land a job there than with the airlines being a fresh graduate.

I believe that tail wheel time could be useful… but is there a way to get those hours without just renting a plane and flying? (Same for float time) Crop dusting is dead around here, same as banned towing. Another thing that could be done is jump pilot, but even for that several hundred hours of experience are required so not really an option…

A bit lost on what to do next, would love to hear from any one who has experience around this field or currently flies Canadair, air tractors, fire boss, etc.

paco
16th Feb 2024, 07:19
They like 500 hours float time over in Canada.

rudestuff
16th Feb 2024, 08:53
The chances of getting a firefighting job early in your career are effectively zero. There's way too much going on at the same time as flying a plane. If you want to fly floats its probably to late as well. If you'd done 100 hours of float time during your training you might have had a chance. Realistically your best chances are airline and GA/instructing jobs.