PDA

View Full Version : C-130 wing stress at low level ops.

ExNeptuneDriver
4th Sep 2002, 02:33
As many of you readers know, the aerial firefighting in the USA is and will be making some changes prior to the next fire season. Aircraft wing stress and adverse loads, at low level, has been identified as a problem. One of the cures we are looking at is the use of stress monitoring equipment on many of the aircraft used. In the forum on the C-130 crash in California, there were several post on the use of a computer in Canadian and Royal Air Corps C-130 to record stress. I am gathering information, of any sort to include in a report on this subject. If you have any information, contacts, stories, suggestions, please send to me.
Thanks in advance :p

WhichWay?
4th Sep 2002, 10:00
Who are the Royal Air Corp? Or do you mean the Royal Air Force

WW

ExNeptuneDriver
4th Sep 2002, 16:30
Sorry about the mistake there. Yes the Royal Air Force. I understand they had problems with the early C-130 A & B.:D

ORAC
4th Sep 2002, 18:59
I think you must mean the Royal Antipodean Air Force, they operated the C-130A. :D

The RAF fleet started with the C-130K.

p.s. The RAAF also seem to have (had) a system called FAMIS2 (fatigue Analysis Management Information System). It's mentioned in the report below.

RAAF structural life monitoring (http://www.agingaircraft2001.com/papers/IndexPDFs/PS32.pdf)

Not Imprest
5th Sep 2002, 18:59
The C-130A had a certain design of wingbox that was later redesigned after being discovered as 'weak'. The new wingbox which started on 'C' models (I think) is the same design as in the K model. And I also believe the firefighting herc that crashed was an 'A' model.

edited due to shocking spelling errors!

DrSyn
6th Sep 2002, 09:25
ExNeptuneDriver, I've emailed you contact details for the heads of the Marshall's of Cambridge C-130 fatigue program. They'll be happy to discuss it with you.