PDA

View Full Version : Two King Airs bump into each other in Iceland.

7AC
13th Feb 2024, 10:08
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/351667
https://www.vf.is/frettir/lentu-a-keflavikurflugvelli-eftir-arekstur-i-haloftunum-vid-vestmannaeyjar

SWBKCB
13th Feb 2024, 10:59
Shouldn't that be over Iceland? :eek:

7AC
13th Feb 2024, 11:19
I don't know if it was over land or sea, so I'll say it was in Icelandic airspace. Will that do ?

CISTRS
13th Feb 2024, 12:05
The fact that this was a mid-air collision is not clear in the thread title.
Lucky to survive...

rugmuncher
13th Feb 2024, 12:22
From the OP's original link:

According to the sources of Víkurfrétta, the planes in question landed at Keflavík Airport yesterday and did not report the incident.

It wasn't until the aircraft's service personnel saw that they were damaged that the pilots reported what had happened. The police and representatives of the Transport Accident Investigation Committee were then called.

The planes are still at Keflavík Airport, but there is no further information about the flight incident, which is said to be serious.

Zombywoof
13th Feb 2024, 13:48
Didn't report the incident. Ferry pilots. Just another day at the office.

ATC Watcher
13th Feb 2024, 14:43
Didn't report the incident. .
Well , in the Ferry world, you report to the owner first, not the authorities, if the damage is superficial , i.e not structural, and do affect safety of further flight , the owner might say do not make an official report and bring the aircraft over we'll do the repair ourselves.. An official report might ground/delay both aircraft for days or weeks .plus an expensive repair tab. Not saying this happened, here, but I know a bit how the Ferry world operates and would not be surprised if that was just another "duct tape " case.

rugmuncher
13th Feb 2024, 14:56
Well , in the Ferry world, you report to the owner first, not the authorities, if the damage is superficial , i.e not structural, and do affect safety of further flight , the owner might say do not make an official report and bring the aircraft over we'll do the repair ourselves.. An official report might ground/delay both aircraft for days or weeks .plus an expensive repair tab. Not saying this happened, here, but I know a bit how the Ferry world operates and would not be surprised if that was just another "duct tape " case.

This is going to need a bit more than duct tape !!!

https://www.vf.is/media/1/kingair-b200.jpg

oceancrosser
13th Feb 2024, 15:50
This is going to need a bit more than duct tape !!!

https://www.vf.is/media/1/kingair-b200.jpg

The other one is said to have prop damage. How were they going to cover that up?

ATC Watcher
13th Feb 2024, 16:43
Ooops,! mea culpa I had not seen the photo. Indeed . you can't cover that up , at least not in the Northern hemisphere.:O.

Liffy 1M
13th Feb 2024, 16:53
Three of the four King Airs in this ferry operation back to the USA are registered to a company called Weather Modification LLC, based in Fargo, North Dakota. The company's website states that they provide weather radars, cloud-seeding aircraft, atmospheric research instrumentation, aircraft modification, and operational programs for the purpose of rain enhancement, snow pack augmentation, hail suppression, and fog dissipation.

timav8
13th Feb 2024, 21:14
Ooops,! mea culpa I had not seen the photo. Indeed . you can't cover that up , at least not in the Northern hemisphere.:O.

Large parts of Africa are in the Northern Hemisphere 🌍
Perhaps we need some better geographical descriptors.

punkalouver
14th Feb 2024, 01:33
I guess if any air-to-air photos were being taken, they will be impressive.

treadigraph
14th Feb 2024, 08:37
Weather Modification LLC, based in Fargo, North Dakota.

Hmm, recall seeing that one of the P-40s gracing the skies these days was formerly owned by a company called Weather Modification Inc back in the 50s/60s, wonder if it is the same outfit. Never heard of them otherwise...

Allioth
8th Apr 2024, 10:19
They were flying in formation. And the guy behind just got a tad too close.
His career is over as soon as they reconstruct the incident