PDA

View Full Version : SAAF Rank debacle

4HolerPoler
3rd Sep 2002, 23:17
This is not a wind-up; this is what has become of a once proud organization.

Pilots 'stripped' of insignia

New rank insignia for SAAF

Johannesburg - Air Force officers experienced a sudden demotion in rank this week despite having done nothing wrong.

To be addressed as "private" even though they are seasoned pilots was too much for some, while the rankless pilots also caused consternation among police and the rest of the defence force that had to work with them.

The problem cropped up after the defence force had implemented new rank insignia on Monday. The air force changed to a new chevron system in place of the old stars.

An air force information bulletin reports the suppliers of the new insignia failed to deliver, which is out of their control.

Meanwhile, all pilots were ordered to summarily remove the old insignia and told not to wear them under any circumstance, even though there were no stripes available to replace the stars.

Formal functions postponed

The rest of the officers don't even have rank insignia for their work uniforms, and the epaulettes for formal uniforms are also not available.

The bulletin says all formal functions had been postponed until the end of October or changed to semi-formal functions.

Chaplains and candidate officers will have to wait indefinitely long for their insignia and are allowed to wear their old stars. An exception will be made for the Aerospace Africa arms show that will be held in Pretoria in three weeks time to ensure that "unranked" officers cause no embarrassment.

Bases in the Pretoria area are supposed to get the new insignia before other bases, which will have to wait a little longer.

Commanders were going to ceremoniously hand over the new insignia on parades at the various bases. The parades were indefinitely postponed.

Millions and millions

The insignia cost about :eek:R7 million:eek:, but has further financial implications of millions for the air force. Non-commissioned officers previously had their insignia ironed to their sleeves.

The new insignia are worn on the shoulders, but the old insignia cannot be removed from shirts or windbreakers. Everyone will have to be issued with new shirts and jackets, even though there are not enough of these items in stock.

Jakes Jacobs, Sergeant Major of the defence force, who heads the new insignia committee, says all problems should be sorted out by the end of October.

The suppliers' problem arose because of the large volume of the insignia that has to be replaced. The air force insignia are embossed, which further complicates the matter.

The new insignia became a necessity after the country's coat of arms, featured on several of the insignia, had changed. The defence force generals all received their new insignia from General Siphiwe Nyanda, chief of the defence force, this week.

That eagle/turkey thing comes to mind.

4HP

AfricanSkies
4th Sep 2002, 09:22
bah.

and we still pay tax to these morons?

Gunship
4th Sep 2002, 11:54
I was worried if I start the thread it will not be flying realted but seeing that 4holes and a pole :D Hallo my dear friend .. here is my comments :

I have a 299 kb pdf file (That is Acrobatic reader bru) if anybody is interested - mail me quick I am leaving for that island next to Europe (First sleep out of Africa bru).

Ok my comments before doing last test flights and before leaving ......

The rank insignia looks sh*t ! :rolleyes: I posted the same comments on the SAAF Newsgroup and I had a LOT of "personal" responses ... are they scared or what ? But we had the same ideas .. First of all it makes use of the damn stripes which the Navy still tries to sort out ... I mean a lot of us had lots of years service in the SADF and when a Navy chap walked past you - give him a salute - whatever your rank as you never know what it is.

Especially the difference betweeen Lt Col and Colonel is a thin little line ... crazy ! The eagle is on the rank up to Colonel and then Brig Genl and up has the new coat of arms .. looks good must admit ! Also the various WO insignias look quite good and so does the WINGS - actually very nice !

The stripes is sh*t and will never work - ask the Navy and RAF - it confuses the hell out of everybody !

Another unanswered question : Re the WO rank : There is still the WOI and WOII insignia but now there are 5 new "levels" of WO's 1, 2, 3 ,4 , 4a and 4b as well !! Crazy ??? :rolleyes:

Paddle Steamer
4th Sep 2002, 12:17
18 years with a very proud organisation which did amazing things with old aeroplanes, outstanding crew, and now this.!!
How sad. I do not regret the day i moved but miss the good times.

"Ondangs" never dies,the memories just fade slowly.

Gunship
4th Sep 2002, 12:36
Lo Paddle Streamer ... where are the good old days at "Ondangs by the sea" ... Myself and 4holerpoler had some great times together .. once trying to see who can break 100 hrs in a Puma in a month, all low level, 'face of the enemy" sheit .. needles to say 4HP beat me to it !! It also meant no more flying and if your relief is not there - well you are "booked off". That means getting pi**ed before your mates gets pi$$ed.

2 Years later in Rundu - I had the opportunity to break 100 hrs in a Puma after 20 days (all night .. all low level) - 30 min was in the day .. which was a Casavac - the rest NIGHT - dark flippen night - with a doppler and a radio alt - that is that - oh and fires ... to escourt you into ...... mmmhhhh .. Long live SPYKER.

Ok enough : So Gunnss had 10 days of pure bliss on the Rundu waterfront catching fish as he did not have a flight back. Fishing like I have never seen before ... Those where the days ... Sniff sniff ... Gunnnsss ok now Gunnssss ....:cool:

SkyBat
4th Sep 2002, 18:36
Now, why am I not surprised. The once proud SAAF has been turned into a joke...again. What with no money for fuel, how are they going to pay for the new insignia. Sorted out by the end of October!!! Indeed. We will see.
The good old days in the SAAF were certainly that. Too many stories to tell. As Guns says.....sniff sniff.
We were all proud to be SAAF Pilots. I am glad I left when I did.
But, that is history. Unfortunately.

dvrfly
9th Sep 2002, 00:12
In true "New" SAAF manner they said "October", but they did not mention de year!!
Ondangs rules.

gearupgone
10th Sep 2002, 03:35
SkyBat - where do you think the funds are comming from - the fuel budget of course!