PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tattoo's now allowed in the RAF

NutLoose
9th Feb 2024, 14:01
see the link

Royal Air Force recruits and serving personnel are no longer prohibited from having full hand tattoos after senior officials decided to amend the service's decades-old policy on body art.

The removal of the RAF's previous zero tolerance stance on hand tattoos brings the service in line with British Army and Royal Navy guidance.

The RAF's former policy prohibited (https://www.forces.net/military-life/militarys-tattoo-and-medical-fitness-policy-really-slowing-down-recruitment) anyone with body ink outside of a single finger tattoo which could not be concealed with a wedding band or ring.

https://www.forces.net/services/raf/raf-scraps-its-strict-no-hand-tattoo-policy-potential-recruits-and-serving-personnel

Fortissimo
9th Feb 2024, 14:10
Congratulations to Hand Tattoo, I hope he or she has a great time during their service.

downsizer
9th Feb 2024, 14:30
Standing by for the ourage bus full of people it has zero impact on.

FWIW I don't think it will have any signifigant impact on recruitment, but it always seemed strange to me to bin suitable candidates simply because they had tattoos on hands/neck/whatever.

langleybaston
9th Feb 2024, 20:09
Congratulations to Hand Tattoo, I hope he or she has a great time during their service.

That is a good spot: a pedant's pedant. There are not many of us left, or indeed right.

Kiwiconehead
9th Feb 2024, 20:13
There are not many of us left, or indeed right.

Coincidently, the only permitted hand tattoos at this stage.

Runaway Gun
10th Feb 2024, 02:04
Tattooing Left and Right on the relevant pilot hands could save money by not using marked flying gloves.

NutLoose
10th Feb 2024, 11:15
Or throttle, stick.

meleagertoo
10th Feb 2024, 11:38
That is a good spot: a pedant's pedant. There are not many of us left, or indeed right.
There seems to be the most peculiar misunderstanding of the word "pedant" on this forum.
Illustrating extremely basic grammatical blunders like that have nothing whatsoever to do with pedantry.

Sue Vêtements
10th Feb 2024, 12:35
it always seemed strange to me to bin suitable candidates simply because they had tattoos on hands/neck/whatever.

What about on the face?

Union Jack
10th Feb 2024, 13:54
There seems to be the most peculiar misunderstanding of the word "pedant" on this forum.
Illustrating extremely basic grammatical blunders like that have nothing whatsoever to do with pedantry.

Without wishing to appear, err, pedantic, perhaps you should bring that to Merriam-Webster's (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedantic#:~:text=Pedantic%20is%20an%20insulting%20word,is%20 an%20example%20of%20pedantic%3F) attention....:D

Jack

Mogwi
10th Feb 2024, 14:02
Tattooing Left and Right on the relevant pilot hands could save money by not using marked flying gloves.

Worked for me!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x480/gloves_c5e00d59c0706ceb64a7d967386890776d8b54bd.jpg

BEagle
10th Feb 2024, 14:18
From the days before beards, weird hairstyles and tattoos were permitted in the uniformed services, Gunny Highway Hartman had a very positive way of ensuring that recruits could tell left from right....

https://youtu.be/K0izEw48qf0

langleybaston
10th Feb 2024, 15:31

I shall not gloat.

Biggus
10th Feb 2024, 16:26
BEagle,

Gunny Highway was a character played by Clint Eastwood in the film Heartbreak Ridge.

Your clip is from the film Full Metal Jacket, where the instructor is Gunnery Sergeant (Gunny) Hartman, played by Lee Ermey.

...or am I just being pedantic?

BEagle
10th Feb 2024, 18:23
Thanks Biggus - now edited!

Mind you, Gunny Highway had a good way of dealing with ear rings....

https://youtu.be/jWlzIO_NHu4

DogTailRed2
10th Feb 2024, 19:31
and that's just the women.

NutLoose
11th Feb 2024, 08:34
Mog I always used port and left were both 4 letter words when getting use to it.

NutLoose
11th Feb 2024, 08:40
A fascinating insight as to why Army recruits were rejected, none where because they wanted to join the RAF or Navy.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/over-125000-applicants-rejected-from-british-army/

downsizer
11th Feb 2024, 09:29
A fascinating insight as to why Army recruits were rejected, none where because they wanted to join the RAF or Navy.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/over-125000-applicants-rejected-from-british-army/

Could that be because we were largely fishing in different pools. We pointed all our bin juice over to the Army desk.

sycamore
11th Feb 2024, 10:20
Mog,you forgot `red/green`...

Mogwi
11th Feb 2024, 10:29
Mog,you forgot `red/green`...

Ah, things were in black and white in those days😊

Null Orifice
11th Feb 2024, 11:00
And there's No Red Port Left!

Semreh
11th Feb 2024, 12:26
Worked for me!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x480/gloves_c5e00d59c0706ceb64a7d967386890776d8b54bd.jpg

To be fair, there's not a few car drivers that could do with driving gloves (remember the string-backed variety?) labelled with offside and nearside. Need to be Velcro™ attached so the labels can be swapped and used 'sur le continent'.

I've met many people who need to use a scar, or some other very slight physical deformity to remember their right and left, including a chap who had had the two most distal phalanges of a finger amputated by an industrial accident. That aspect of the trauma was beneficial, he said.

Biggus
11th Feb 2024, 12:41
I was told the following story by someone who used to work in a military recruiting office, in the days when they still existed on the high street, and were manned by serving military personnel - and they assured me it was true!

It was a tri service office, with an Army desk, Navy desk and RAF desk. The entrance to the recruiting office from the high street was via a sort of air lock, two sets of see through glass swing doors. But one set opened one way, and the next set the opposite - so one was pull, the next push, or vice versa. Anyway, it became apparent that, in the vast majority of cases, the way the applicant entered the office was indicative of which service they wanted to join...

If the applicant passed seamlessly through the two sets of doors they invariably went to the Navy desk. If they struggled a bit but got through quite quickly they went to the RAF desk. If they were still struggling after a while the Army recruiter went and got them and took them to the Army desk.....

Well, as I've already said, my friend did say this was a true story...

Gordomac
11th Feb 2024, 13:14
Ghastly, lowering of standards but Old-school, classic upbringing (Dad a Colonel) and schooling. Total dumbing down. I would have great difficulty in any disciplinary confrontation being taken apart by some irk with a neck-tattoo snaking into his left ear-ole. The scenario is unlikely on many counts but good grief. This is just the trend towards full frontal nudity. I do recoil in horror.

reds & greens
11th Feb 2024, 13:30
Just a thought, if one classed a pedant (sic) as a person - hence a proper noun, should it be capitalised?

meleagertoo
11th Feb 2024, 14:04
Just a thought, if one classed a pedant (sic) as a person - hence a proper noun, should it be capitalised?
No more necessary than to capitalise the word appying to the people who don't understand the word 'pedant', ie fools.

langleybaston
11th Feb 2024, 14:57
No more necessary than to capitalise the word appying to the people who don't understand the word 'pedant', ie fools.

Pray demonstrate your personal understanding.

cynicalint
11th Feb 2024, 14:59
I always thought a pedant was a shiny thing around the neck of a poor speller!

Bob Viking
11th Feb 2024, 15:11
You can probably predict my take on things.

As much as I’m sure the Royal Marines rue the day they stopped making their men wear neck straps and the infantry stopped wearing puttees and men stopped wearing their hair in pigtails they all had to accept, as must we, that times and fashions change.

I would personally never get a tattoo and I may question the choices of someone who decides to cover their body with ink but it’s none of my damned business. If it doesn’t stop them flying a jet, driving a boat or shooting a weapon then I really can’t get bent out of shape about it.

If it also means that we get the right brand of rough (hu)man who stands ready in the night to visit harm upon those that wish us harm (paraphrasing slightly) then let them join.

BV

Finningley Boy
11th Feb 2024, 18:08
Standing by for the ourage bus full of people it has zero impact on.

FWIW I don't think it will have any signifigant impact on recruitment, but it always seemed strange to me to bin suitable candidates simply because they had tattoos on hands/neck/whatever.
I'll just say, that with all we get to hear about HM Forcs today, it figures!

FB

langleybaston
11th Feb 2024, 18:33
I'll just say, that with all we get to hear about HM Forcs today, it figures!

FB

Forks?

Finningley Boy
11th Feb 2024, 18:47
Forks?
Ermm.... yeah, ok, right!

FB

langleybaston
11th Feb 2024, 18:52
Ermm.... yeah, ok, right!

FB

There are pedants about, however defined, for forks sake.

Finningley Boy
11th Feb 2024, 19:19
There are pedants about, however defined, for forks sake.
Exactly what I'm saying!:ok:

FB

NutLoose
12th Feb 2024, 00:22
I wonder what they will deem as offensive tattoo’s

I mean a tattoo or a big pair of lips with a tongue sticking out might be inoffensive​​​​​​, but tattooed on the palm of one’s saluting hand may not be seen as appropriate.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1018x1018/image_a894e6739adfa4a1467b2e1e4ec0ca32e79d5448.jpeg

blind pew
12th Feb 2024, 01:47
There was a joke about a young fella going into the gents and taking a peek at a large black fella’s penis to see if the rumours were true..he spied WENDY tattooed on said appendage. Having been noticed by the tattooed fella (I’ve done the same with a jazz singer embarrassingly) he says I’ve got a girlfriend called WENDY as well! Reply “ no son that’s welcome to Jamaica have a nice day”.

12th Feb 2024, 07:12
Baffles me why anyone would want a tattoo of a hand!! :p

Herod
12th Feb 2024, 10:30
BV, I'm with you. If there is someone who is ready to kill my country's enemy, then I don't give a damn what they look like. I'm old-school, pre woke, and colour, religion, sexual orientation etc are irrelevant. Why get excited about tattoos?

alfred_the_great
12th Feb 2024, 10:32
There was a joke about a young fella going into the gents and taking a peek at a large black fella’s penis to see if the rumours were true..he spied WENDY tattooed on said appendage. Having been noticed by the tattooed fella (I’ve done the same with a jazz singer embarrassingly) he says I’ve got a girlfriend called WENDY as well! Reply “ no son that’s welcome to Jamaica have a nice day”.

was that racist joke from back in the 1970s?

Davef68
12th Feb 2024, 10:49
Or throttle, stick.

Or 'Move, Go'

Davef68
12th Feb 2024, 10:55

Heard a variation with a biker in hospital, and the male nurse notices he's got 'MOD' tattooed there. Chatting to his attractive female colleague, he mentions that it's a strange tattoo for a biker. she replies 'What., Motorhead?"

Herod
12th Feb 2024, 12:40
As Alfred says, these jokes go back many years, but not really racist. One that sticks in my mind was "Swan" and "Saskatchewan"

langleybaston
12th Feb 2024, 13:08

It is hardly racist, more like envious: many a whitey would like a chopper capable of starring in a Wendy joke. Ask yours!

Davef68
12th Feb 2024, 13:43
To get back on track, whilst i am personally no fan of tattoos, in this day and age so many young people get them that the services would be remiss not to consider suitable applicants because they had a tattoo on their hand.

Finningley Boy
12th Feb 2024, 21:36
Its not a racist joke, its a willy joke!

FB

Hydromet
13th Feb 2024, 00:34
As a young officer cadet, the toughest WO II on the DS had hand tattoos, end there were some tough ones there, including one who later earned a VC. I'd rather have him beside, in front of or behind me than some of the effete officers there. There are more important things to argue about.