PDA

View Full Version : RPL controlled aerodrome endorsement without controlled airspace endorsement

mikewil
7th Feb 2024, 07:23
Can anyone enlighten me on the limitations of having only a controlled aerodrome endorsement without the controlled airspace endorsement?

If you want to land at a large controlled aerodrome with control steps associated with it, is a RPL holder with only CTR endorsement precluded from landing there?

I find it confusing that these are two separate endorsements because controlled airspace and operating at a controlled aerodrome are kind of the same thing....

KRviator
7th Feb 2024, 07:46
Let's say you want to fly to Tamworth. You can't enter via the overlying Class C, you would have to go via Duri Gap and enter the CTR directly. Same for Sydney, you could land at Kingsford Smith, if you entered directly from Class G, say, around Parramatta - you couldn't enter by coming in via the Class C step at Brooklyn Bridge at 3,000.

Conversely, if you held a CTA but not an aerodrome endo, then you could fly through overlying Class C at Tamworth, but not land there, or try your luck at a VFR transit at 8,500 through the Sydney basin in Class C, but not land at Bankstown, Camden or Sydney...

nomess
7th Feb 2024, 08:02
Just invest in a PPL

mikewil
7th Feb 2024, 11:22
Just invest in a PPL

This is what I try to tell everyone, but occasionally a weird inquiry like this crops up...

zegnaangelo
7th Feb 2024, 14:59
or do a CTA endorsement in 1-2 lessons (if you already have CTR)?

but yes, get a PPL