PDA

View Full Version : CX SO application

joblessPilot
5th Feb 2024, 16:18
Hey just noticed the second officer position opened up. They added the 1000 hours and MCC preferred the experience. Is there a lot of competition for the role? What is the T and C? Is it better? Is it still 6 years plus before the upgrade to FO? Also on a side track, the application asked if I was interested in HK Express. I thought they only flew the A320. What are they going to do with a SO in that kind of flight? Is the flight that long in HK Express that they required an SO... bit blizzard. Is the upgrade to FO quicker in HK express?

whiskey1
6th Feb 2024, 04:15
Second Officer is a pay point at Express, really a Junior First Officer. A second Officer at Cathay is generally a Cruise relief Co Pilot but can also be a Junior First Officer on the A320 fleet.

joblessPilot
6th Feb 2024, 07:52
Yeah but at least you have the TR for the 320. Still better than a p2x rating in my opinion

Yisman22
6th Feb 2024, 21:53
Out of interest has anyone who applied late last year heard back for DEFO applications?

Dragon Pacific
7th Feb 2024, 01:01
An SO at HKE is still one of the only two pilots on the flight deck. They do the same as an FO, they just get paid less. They do at least have a type rating. A CX SO doesn’t have a type rating.

maplestory
7th Feb 2024, 02:10
Out of interest has anyone who applied late last year heard back for DEFO applications?
when did you apply?

VC2PewePilota
7th Feb 2024, 11:01
whiskey1 , thanks for your comment. Interesting thread folks.. Hoping to learn more as well, DESO to me seemed like it was geared to accept newly minted aviation academy grads, or from other airlines with the miniumum seat time: https://careers.cathaypacific.com/jobs/second-officer-direct-entry-2977238

pill
8th Feb 2024, 01:08
That looks like direct entry SO. No mention of any Hong Kong ID / right to work required. About 9k usd per month if you're doing 900 hours a year on the current amendment of the handbook. About 6k if you're not hitting the flight pay threshold that month. You'd be behind a long line of SO's, so 6 years seems about right. Up to you. Everyones circumstances are different, as is their tolerance level. Express you'll be paid less, but advance light years quicker.

controlledrest
8th Feb 2024, 07:01
Yeah but at least you have the TR for the 320. Still better than a p2x rating in my opinion

Many other airlines will accept P2X times, pays to check with the regulator in the country you want to work in how you should log flight time (most have all crew log total block time, not just the Capt).

CXKR2022
8th Feb 2024, 12:24
Out of curiosity, Does SO in Cathay not have any type rating even though they fly the plain?

jbking
8th Feb 2024, 14:34
Many other airlines will accept P2X times, pays to check with the regulator in the country you want to work in how you should log flight time (most have all crew log total block time, not just the Capt).
Specifically which ones? I've only heard of Condor and very few others.

raven11
9th Feb 2024, 12:20
Because P2X is a made up rating not recognized by international convention. It is a bizarre rating conjured up by Cathay and approved by the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Departement so Cathay could employ the most inexperienced pilots; and avoid the expensive cost of training a new pilot up to P1 standard, which requires more simulator hours and avoids the additional expense of in flight base training.

Compare that to the US requirement that a pilot possess an Airline Transport Pilot Licence, have 1500 hours of experience and a full P1 rating to be allowed to occupy the right seat of a commercial airliner.

mngmt mole
10th Feb 2024, 02:53
Good point Raven. The traveling public of HK (and our outports) are effectively being put at risk to a far higher degree than would be allowed in the US. We have inexperienced children in control (when the relief captain goes to the restroom) of a large airliner. The HK traveling public has no idea of the reality of their peril. Our management is complicit in this, and will be held accountable when the inevitable tragedy occurs. CX management is beyond redemption. They are willing to line their own pockets at the expense of the passengers they are supposed to protect. Disgusting

ZootBoot
10th Feb 2024, 08:13
Our management is complicit in this, and will be held accountable when the inevitable tragedy occurs.

No they won’t. They’ll get away with it. They always get away with it.

I just hope it’s an incident and not an accident that causes the spotlight to be shone.

galiharyo
15th Mar 2024, 03:24
Hi Guys. Im an Indonesian Pilot, TT 500, 250 Is On A DHC6400 Amphibian, Flying Out of Bali and Multi Crew. Anyone Knows How Long does Cathay Reply Back Since Initial Application. I have been waiting for abt 20 days. Thank You!

Apreaze
19th Mar 2024, 23:07
Hi Guys. Im an Indonesian Pilot, TT 500, 250 Is On A DHC6400 Amphibian, Flying Out of Bali and Multi Crew. Anyone Knows How Long does Cathay Reply Back Since Initial Application. I have been waiting for abt 20 days. Thank You!

My resume was submitted 2022/09 and got their reply this year Jan so ... just be patient lol might be much faster now.

qwerty009
20th Mar 2024, 12:29
My resume was submitted 2022/09 and got their reply this year Jan so ... just be patient lol might be much faster now.
me too ,20+ days ,no reply yet.

V1rotateup
22nd Mar 2024, 00:25
Anyone recently just come back from HK and finished the interview ? Been waiting almost a month and still haven't heard back from cx , they did however tell me I get a medical

SandyourDay
22nd Mar 2024, 18:43
it’s depends on your background experience mas galih,

i received the email for filling out the form,third days after submit the application.
And i done everything initial interview and final assessment couple weeks ago.

V1rotateup
23rd Mar 2024, 00:23
did they give you a time frame when you would find out ?

SandyourDay
23rd Mar 2024, 19:16
Anyone recently just come back from HK and finished the interview ? Been waiting almost a month and still haven't heard back from cx , they did however tell me I get a medical

you done the final interview also ? One of my friend received rejection email 1 weeks after.

V1rotateup
24th Mar 2024, 01:43
Yea done the interview just waiting on results , I know of a candidate who got their rejection 2 weeks after

SandyourDay
24th Mar 2024, 11:36
did they give you a time frame when you would find out ?

they just mention A couple weeks.

my friend received the email about 2 weeks

Sidharth86
25th Mar 2024, 14:33
Yea done the interview just waiting on results , I know of a candidate who got their rejection 2 weeks after

Hi,
good day brother..I have got my final assessment coming up in few weeks from now. Just to get more sort of an update from you, will it be possible to chat personally on whatsapp?

galiharyo
4th Apr 2024, 10:26
it’s depends on your background experience mas galih,

i received the email for filling out the form,third days after submit the application.
And i done everything initial interview and final assessment couple weeks ago.

whats your Total Hours and Background Mas? if I may know? Thank You

Koan
6th Apr 2024, 10:24
Good point Raven. The traveling public of HK (and our outports) are effectively being put at risk to a far higher degree than would be allowed in the US. We have inexperienced children in control (when the relief captain goes to the restroom) of a large airliner. The HK traveling public has no idea of the reality of their peril. Our management is complicit in this, and will be held accountable when the inevitable tragedy occurs. CX management is beyond redemption. They are willing to line their own pockets at the expense of the passengers they are supposed to protect. Disgusting
At this point only concern of the most of the traveling public is ticket price
They hear "autopilot "and it is near impossible to convince them it is not just as easy as throwing dirty
clothes in SAMSUNG front loader and pushing the start button.

Cirrostratusss
6th May 2024, 10:13
Hi everyone!

Have any of you recent DESO applicants hear anything back regarding this possible HKE S/O (JFO) offer on the narrow bodies? I’ve received confirmation that my application is successful, but yet to receive an offer of employment. Really interested in HKE - if anyone has any more information on this, please share with me?

Regards,
Cirrostratus

Cirrostratusss
6th May 2024, 10:44
Second Officer is a pay point at Express, really a Junior First Officer. A second Officer at Cathay is generally a Cruise relief Co Pilot but can also be a Junior First Officer on the A320 fleet.

Good day everyone,

I was successful in the CX DESO application, still waiting for a the offer of employment. I’ve made my interest in the narrow body operation at HKE express clear as well. Does anyone have more info on how this works and some more insight into Cathay SO’s working at Express?

Regards,
Cirrostratus