PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL (previously MPL) to FAA ATP

InternationalPIC
5th Feb 2024, 15:59
Hello all!

I have some questions regarding converting a EASA ATPL (MPL) to a US FAA ATP.

When upgrading from a EASA MPL certificate to a ATPL, after you've got the 1500 hours, you are not granted the privileges of a PPL or CPL (as you came from a MPL).
However, what happens if you convert your EASA ATPL (that came from a MPL) to a FAA ATP? Has anyone done this?
As the MPL concept doesen't exist in the US i assume you will get the priveleges that all other ATP pilots have in the US which include the priveleges of a PPL and CPL..right?

When I check the requirements for converting a EASA ATPL to a FAA ATPL it doesen't say "which" atpl you can convert. As theoretically there's both the ATPL (from MPL) and ATPL from CPL in europe which both grants the holder different privileges.

Any ideas?

Genghis the Engineer
5th Feb 2024, 16:43
I think that you are likely right. Where qualifications don't exist in FAAland, like the IR(R) or MPL, they simply assume the nearest available equivalent and move forwards.

Best however, talk to a suitable school who can do the conversion, they'll know the rules inside out and be able to have an adult conversation with their regulator that you might find harder to do.

G

rudestuff
6th Feb 2024, 04:00
You can't convert an ATPL to an ATP. You can apply for an ATP and credit your hours. The regulation states that you must hold either an FAA CPL/IR, Military experience or a foreign CPL/IR or ATPL.
If you have the hours and pass the ATP-CTP, written and flight tests you will have all the privileges of an FAA ATP - your MP-ATPL is simply a prerequisite. It's just how the FAA do things. For example: If you had taken a military route to ATPL you'd likely have no piston time. The FAA would automatically give you AMEL which allows you to fly pistons.

It's all in Part 61. Thats all the examiner will read.