PDA

View Full Version : Airlines, Airports, Routes - and climate change

ATNotts
4th Feb 2024, 11:42
Judging by the radical thread drift in the Manchester discussion, perhaps its time to air the subject separately so as not to pee off readers and contributors who's interest doesn't extend to the issue.

First off, commercial aviation isn't going to cease - fact. Second, climate change is real, happening now, and since the dawn of the industrial era at a much faster rate than through previous centuries - also a fact.

How do the stakeholders in the industry (airlines and airports) balance the need for change to reduce emmissions without resorting to PR 'greenwash' that only the gullible fall for with maintaining their businesses and viability? Perhaps its a circle that can't be squared, but I actually doubt that.

Perhaps from an airport standpoint more renewable power generation, reduce heating and lighting in terminals. Perhaps better public transport for staff and PAX.

Perhaps from an airline standpoint an end to slot sitting schedules at major airports, perhaps more direct routings developed through technological advances in air traffic management.

Thats an opening gambit. Perhaps MAN can get its thread back!

PAXboy
4th Feb 2024, 12:47
What we have seen in the last 30 years is that corporations will do the minimum - until forced otherwise. If legislation forces them into action, they will often ask for handouts. Expect more greenwashing.

LTNman
5th Feb 2024, 07:37
Folk just need to take a look at Luton to see how greed and deception go hand in hand. With the airport owned by the council it has declared a climate emergency yet excludes aircraft flying into and out of its airport. In fact the council wants to nearly double movements and has buried its own report that highlights the numbers of people dying each year due to pollution in the town.

The application to nearly double movements is justified by their term Green Controlled Growth, which basically means making the airport zero emissions but allowing substantial increases in aircraft movements and so causing more pollution as being not their problem.

A proposal to introduce sanctions and penalties for not controlling pollution has caused a major hissy fit. This is worth a read, as it is clear that despite the claims regarding green controlled growth there is no such thing and that they care little about the environment so putting their own greed first.

This document has been prepared to express the Applicant’s objection in the strongest possible terms to the imposition of a financial penalty regime.

https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR020001/TR020001-003046-8.187%20Applicant's%20Position%20Paper%20on%20Financial%20Pe nalties.pdf

ATNotts
5th Feb 2024, 09:11
The problem for airlines is that by and large for your average leisure passenger the environmental impact of climbing aboard an aircraft for their weekend break in Barcelona, or two weeks on the Turkish Riviera is so far down their list of priorities as to be virtually non-existent. I avoid flying when travelling to the near continent, not because I have bought a membership the the Green Party, or have mates who block roads in the name of "saving the planet" but because the hassle factor of putting the (polluting) car on to the (allegedly green) Le Shuttle train is lower than flying. That being the case airlines aren't going to attract passengers on the back of having acquired the latest aircraft that have a lower environmental impact, and certainly aren't going to pay more for their tickets to travel on a shiny new 737-MAX than a written down 737 Classic. The only incentives to airlines come from the bean counters that can see an investment in modern equipment will reduce their fuel bills and therefore their seat-mile costs, and at some airports benefits in lower charges for operating modern aircraft. Aside of that the PR departments can use modern "green(er)" equipment as a method of upping their airline's profile.

Perhaps the best way to push a move towards greener flying is by international cooperation on taxation for older generation aircraft, or conversely incentives for newer aircraft but this is hardly likely to happen with so many, not the least commercial, vested interests. I don't see taxing passengers extra to fly is really a starter since, at least in Europe the taxes and charges on tickets already often exceed the raw cost of a ticket and the passenger simply won't wear that when it comes to the ballot box.

Although it is really tinkering around at the edges some taxation on leisure flying would send a message, and in my view business aircraft should also have their climate impact recognised by levies that really ought to drive some of the users towards the front end of commercial flights rather than flitting around the globe in glorious isolation, leaving an excessive carbon footprint in their wake.

TURIN
5th Feb 2024, 09:52
As I said on the Manchester thread. Aviation accounts for about 3% of GLOBAL CO2 emissions.
You can cut air traffic by half and it would not make a blind bit of difference to the climate change problem.

Surface transport, heavy industry and energy production are the big problem. Tackle those first, then start on aviation.

Fiddling while Rome burns!

LTNman
5th Feb 2024, 12:34
Ryanair is now one of the top 10 carbon emitters within Europe, a league which had until now been exclusively occupied by coal plants.

https://www.transportenvironment.org/discover/ryanair-joins-club-europes-top-10-carbon-polluters/

LGS6753
5th Feb 2024, 13:50
One of the largest emitters of carbon residue are the data centres at the heart of the technology sector. I have read that its emissions are larger than aviation globally. So folks, give up @rsebook, Twit, Instamoron and Crapchat if you really want to "save the planet"!

Ascupart
5th Feb 2024, 13:54
Surface transport, heavy industry and energy production are the big problem. Tackle those first, then start on aviation.
We don't have the luxury of tackling greenhouse gas emissions one at a time. We need to make serious reductions across all sectors. While it's true that aviation is a (relatively) small part of global emissions (see here (https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-aviation) for impact) those emissions are caused by a minority of the global population. As noted in this article (https://partner.sciencenorway.no/climate-change-global-warming-transport/1-of-people-cause-half-of-global-aviation-emissions-most-people-in-fact-never-fly/1773607)

​​​​​​1% of people cause half of global aviation emissions. Most people in fact never fly

If the people who do fly flew less often that would have an immediate impact on emissions.

Ascupart
5th Feb 2024, 13:59
One of the largest emitters of carbon residue are the data centres

They certainly do use a lot of electricity but that electricity can be transitioned to renewable sources as is currently being done be Amazon (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-58981631). That's not really an option for aviation so the solution there is for all of us to fly less.

OzzyOzBorn
5th Feb 2024, 17:08
Keep in mind that the UK has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 45% between 1990 - 2020, presumably more by now. And one of the UK's leading emitters - the Port Talbot steelworks - has recently announced closure. Only six countries globally are ahead of the UK on this - Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria and Finland - all of which have much smaller populations than the UK. So there's no need to beat-up on the UK. This country is more than doing it's share in the continuing drive to reduce pollution.

inOban
5th Feb 2024, 19:57
We were able to reduce our CO2 emissions rapidly by decarbonising our electricity production and exporting what was left of our manufacturing industries. France was already generating all its electricity from nuclear and hydro so has more difficulty in further decarbonisation.

TURIN
6th Feb 2024, 00:39
We don't have the luxury of tackling greenhouse gas emissions one at a time. We need to make serious reductions across all sectors. While it's true that aviation is a (relatively) small part of global emissions (see here (https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-aviation) for impact) those emissions are caused by a minority of the global population. As noted in this article (https://partner.sciencenorway.no/climate-change-global-warming-transport/1-of-people-cause-half-of-global-aviation-emissions-most-people-in-fact-never-fly/1773607)

If the people who do fly flew less often that would have an immediate impact on emissions.
It may have an impact on emissions but it would be negligible See above. Halving our use of air transport would cut emissions by less that 1.5% globally.
Halving our use of surface transport on the other hand would make a profound impact.
Ditto energy.
As has been stated above, the UK has reduced its emissions by 45%, but not by reducing air travel, it has targeted the major polluters.

LTNman
8th Feb 2024, 05:23
Global warming will have an effect on air travel as some destinations become no go areas for travellers. You just need to look at the areas around Barcelona to see the future yet everyone here seems to be blind as to what will eventually happen to humanity.

Catalonia: State of emergency declared as region faces worst ever drought https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68167942

Climate change does not cause all droughts, but increased heat in the atmosphere exacerbates dry spells. Temperatures in the Mediterranean region are increasing 20% faster than the global average, according to the UN and rises are expected to continue unless there are drastic cuts to emissions.
​​​​​​​

Vokes55
8th Feb 2024, 13:50
Global warming will have an effect on air travel as some destinations become no go areas for travellers. You just need to look at the areas around Barcelona to see the future yet everyone here seems to be blind as to what will eventually happen to humanity.

Catalonia: State of emergency declared as region faces worst ever drought https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68167942

Barcelona is already a no go area in July and August. Not because it’s a bit hot, but because of the shear number of tourists. If that spike in tourist numbers is spread out over cooler months due to Barcelona becoming a “no go area” in the summer because of a few red blobs on weather maps and climate hysteria, that can only be a good thing.

The seasonality of tourism in Europe is what makes it unsustainable for many countries, islands and businesses, not only across southern Europe but for airlines across the continent. Look at the number of aircraft parked up all day across the UK right now and compare it to the congestion and chaos of August. Spreading tourism more equally throughout the year would be a huge positive.

Oh wait, I forgot positivity isn’t allowed in the environmental echo chamber.

As for what will happen, Europe will continue on it’s path of economic self-destruction, whilst the rest of the world laughs and carries on as normal.

OzzyOzBorn
8th Feb 2024, 14:02
Global warming will have an effect on air travel as some destinations become no go areas for travellers.

For each destination which becomes less suitable, another will become more suitable.

​​​​​​​Isle of Man ... the new Mallorca??? 😀😀😀

SWBKCB
8th Feb 2024, 14:20
They certainly do use a lot of electricity but that electricity can be transitioned to renewable sources as is currently being done be Amazon (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-58981631). That's not really an option for aviation so the solution there is for all of us to fly less.

Although there is a Bitcoin factory in the States which has bought a coal-powered power station and id looking for more.

Ascupart
9th Apr 2024, 07:25
CO₂ emissions from aviation have doubled in the last 30 years, and are likely to keep rising (https://ourworldindata.org/global-aviation-emissions)

Taking all of these effects into account, the authors estimate that aviation has accounted for approximately 3.5% of effective radiative forcing to date. Another study estimates that it has been responsible for 4% of global temperature rise since pre-industrial times.

What can be done?

TURIN
15th Apr 2024, 23:31
A very good article, and proves my point.
Climate change is not caused by aviation.

SWBKCB
16th Apr 2024, 05:54
A very good article, and proves my point.
Climate change is not caused by aviation.

Obviously not the sole source, but a contributor.

OzzyOzBorn
16th Apr 2024, 09:20
Err ... natural processes, anyone? Remember those???

ATNotts
16th Apr 2024, 09:34
You can bury your head in the sand as deep as you want, or stick a pair of underpants on your head and a pencil up each nostril but that doesn't change the science.

A great deal of the rapid (in geological terms) climate change IS DUE TO HUMAN ACTIVITY. Aviation is a part of the problem, as is shipping, road transport and indeed human population.

Commercial aviation is playing its part in trying to reduce emissions, along with a fair bit of greenwash. There is more that could be done, not least curbing the mushrooming use of business aircraft. Also ensuring, as low cost airlines do, maximising loads on aircraft.

Ascupart
16th Apr 2024, 09:39
I'm curious what your point it, since we know that

As stated in this article (https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-why-scientists-think-100-of-global-warming-is-due-to-humans/)
Humans emissions and activities have caused around 100% of the warming observed since 1950, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Ascupart
20th Apr 2024, 10:51
UK airline emissions on track to reach record high in 2024 (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/19/uk-airline-emissions-on-track-to-reach-all-time-high-in-2024)

Sector may breach the government’s Jet Zero strategy which pledged not to surpass 2019 CO2 figures

andymartin
20th Apr 2024, 11:34
UK airline emissions on track to reach record high in 2024 (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/19/uk-airline-emissions-on-track-to-reach-all-time-high-in-2024)

Sector may breach the government’s Jet Zero strategy which pledged not to surpass 2019 CO2 figures

Well I'm still burning tyres in my back yard, and I ain't giving up flying anytime soon.

TURIN
20th Apr 2024, 11:45
Obviously not the sole source, but a contributor.
A very, very minor contribution.
It's crazy to shut down flying to tackle climate change.
It's crazy to even consider using alternate fuels. The overall effect is minimal.
Let's focus on tackling the big CO2 emitters, that will make a difference.

Ascupart
20th Apr 2024, 12:21
A very, very minor contribution.
It's crazy to shut down flying to tackle climate change.
It's crazy to even consider using alternate fuels. The overall effect is minimal.
Let's focus on tackling the big CO2 emitters, that will make a difference.
No one is suggesting that we 'shut down flying', but if we all flew less that would certainly make a difference.
We need to tackle all sources of CO2 emissions, including aviation, if we have a chance to avoid the worst effects of climate change.

PAXboy
20th Apr 2024, 13:40
I first became seriously aware of climate change around 1995. One branch of my family were then farmers (outside the UK) and they said that the reduced rainfall and other changes was unlike anything that they had seen in 40 years. As I read more I cam to the conclusion that: The chances of the countries of the world getting their collective act together - in time - to prevent major climate change = Zero.

In the subsequent 27+ years, I have seen nothing to make me change my mind. Yes, inroads are being made but they will not be enough.

andymartin
21st Apr 2024, 09:16
No one is suggesting that we 'shut down flying', but if we all flew less that would certainly make a difference.
We need to tackle all sources of CO2 emissions, including aviation, if we have a chance to avoid the worst effects of climate change.

'If we all flew less'??
So the family who take their one foreign holiday per year by plane shouldn't go anywhere? Absolute nonsense.

Ascupart
21st Apr 2024, 09:54
'If we all flew less'??
So the family who take their one foreign holiday per year by plane shouldn't go anywhere? Absolute nonsense.
Let me phrase this in a way that's easier for you. If, globally, fewer flights were taken, then that would make a real difference to aviation emissions. So maybe your family holidays abroad every other year. Hardly a big sacrifice.

And keep in mind you can travel by rail to France and beyond. Or holiday at home.

Remember that around 80% of the global population has never flown - yet they will suffer just as much from climate change (more so, probably, since they tend to live in poorer parts of the planet).

ATNotts
21st Apr 2024, 11:51
'If we all flew less'??
If less flying took place might be a better way of looking at it. When you look a cargo operations so many of the ad hoc flights involve long environmentally damaging positioning flights. Look for example at some of Atlas Air and National's positioning legs. A lot of the air cargo uplift can be layed at the feet of "Chinese Tat" that western consumers apparently "need" delivered next day. Great for the industry, apalling for the environment.

Then the mushrooming of bizjet flying needs curbing, probably through a global agreement on penal taxes, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Mr Mac
21st Apr 2024, 21:44
I think the Elephant in the room re Climate change is not flying or indeed power generation or in steel production or cars etc it is people. The world’s population has grown exponentially and these people have higher expectations than their forefathers and there by creating more demand. Address the population explosion but nobody wants to mention that as a factor as it’s far easier to point at shiny planes or cars or whatever.

Cheers
Mr Mac

kcockayne
21st Apr 2024, 22:40
Totally true, Mr.Mac. ALL of the world's problems revolve entirely around the fact that there are far too many people on the planet. What is more; there is nothing that will be done that will solve any of these problems.

TURIN
21st Apr 2024, 22:46
How much less flying would you like everyone to do?
If we cut all flights by 50% it would reduce global CO2 emissions by..... Wait for it... less than 1.5%!!!
That is not going to make a difference, at all.
Cut surface transport, power generation and industrial emissions by. 50%? Now were talking.

APU.INOP
21st Apr 2024, 23:00
If we cut all flights by 50% it would reduce global CO2 emissions by..... Wait for it... less than 1.5%!!!
Cut surface transport, power generation and industrial emissions by. 50%? Now were talking.

Well said! Unfortunately with aviation being a very "visible" contributor to Co2 emissions (even though that contribution is comparatively quite low,) it will likely always find itself in the crosshairs

Ascupart
22nd Apr 2024, 06:46

How do you know that?

No one is suggesting that we ONLY cut aviation emissions. We need to cut emissions wherever we can.

Agriculture sector: We can eat less meat , reduce tilling.
Road transportation: Electrification of vehicles - already in progress.
Energy generation: Move to renewables and nuclear
Shipping: Tough to solve, LNG is possible but of dubious value.
Aviation: ? SAF is possible but is currently way more expensive then traditional fuel, and can we ever produce enough of it?

It's tough for people to give up food or using electricity at home. But cutting out a flight makes a huge difference to a person's carbon footprint.
The obvious first step would be to target the 1% of flyers who make up half of global emissions (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/17/people-cause-global-aviation-emissions-study-covid-19). But we must all do our part.

Ascupart
22nd Apr 2024, 06:55
I think the Elephant in the room re Climate change is not flying or indeed power generation or in steel production or cars etc it is people. The world’s population has grown exponentially and these people have higher expectations than their forefathers and there by creating more demand. Address the population explosion but nobody wants to mention that as a factor as it’s far easier to point at shiny planes or cars or whatever.

Cheers
Mr Mac
This is wrong. It's not the number of people that is the issue, it's what we do. There are tremendous inequalities in emissions. (https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/co-emissions-per-capita)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipVxxxqwBQw&ab_channel=Kurzgesagt%E2%80%93InaNutshell

Asturias56
22nd Apr 2024, 07:54
Its not just numbers - its aspirations. 40 years if you had a bicycle in Jakarta you weren't poor and if you owned a motor bike you were middle class.

Now the middle class all have cars - and they travel further, start to take holidays abroad, want bigger houses, A/C etc etc

Ascupart
25th Apr 2024, 10:24
Aviation fuel plan supports growth of British aviation sector (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/aviation-fuel-plan-supports-growth-of-british-aviation-sector)

Interesting to read that

While we recognise SAF may be more expensive than traditional jet fuel in the immediate term, we’re ensuring decarbonisation doesn’t come at the expense of consumers. This plan is part of our approach to ensure that the rationing of flights through ‘demand management’ is ruled out.

Hmm, I wonder what the next government's view will be on that.

chaps1954
25th Apr 2024, 10:38
Exactly the same as every body else so no change.
One of the big problems are the wars with all the weapons and fuel being burned so lets ban wars and Volcanos and wild fires whilst we are at it

ATNotts
25th Apr 2024, 11:04
Exactly the same as every body else so no change.
One of the big problems are the wars with all the weapons and fuel being burned so lets ban wars and Volcanos and wild fires whilst we are at it
They only one of those that the human race has control of is war and I'd stand four square behind that ambition.

Sadly the human race is incapable of such a quantum leap.

TURIN
25th Apr 2024, 11:17
It's tough for people to give up food or using electricity at home. But cutting out a flight makes a huge difference to a person's carbon footprint.
The obvious first step would be to target the 1% of flyers who make up half of global emissions (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/17/people-cause-global-aviation-emissions-study-covid-19). But we must all do our part.
Yes, cutting out flying makes a huge difference to the personal carbon footprint... of a very small number of people.
You could ban all business jets, limit frequent flyers to a couple of return flights a year and it would not make a difference at all to the climate change problem. I don't know why people can't see this. We don't need to cut carbon emissions by half of one percent, it needs cutting by tens of percent. Aviation cannot do that.
Power generation, surface transport and heavy industries reliance on fossil fuels are the only areas where change can make a difference.
We are Fiddling around with reducing emissions from already very efficient gas turbines but it won't make a damn difference.

ATNotts
25th Apr 2024, 11:32
TURIN,

You are absolutely right, but as Tesco have been telling us ad nauseum for years "every little helps". There needs to be a sea change in public attitudes and demands. Fast fashion and the "must have now" attitude towards buying throw away tat has to change and people have to be convinced to move away from cars for short journeys.

Baby steps in these areas as well as reducing wasteful aviation activity such as private jets, positioning etc could together produce meaningful reductions. In isolation aviation is a small cog in a large wheel.

Ascupart
25th Apr 2024, 11:34
We don't need to cut carbon emissions by half of one percent, it needs cutting by tens of percent. Aviation cannot do that.
Exactly - which is why we need to reduce CO2 emission from all sources, including aviation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/58160547

TURIN
25th Apr 2024, 12:16
That's all very well but cutting aviation emissions by 10% only cuts global emissions by 0.3%.
Cutting cement production by 10% would have a greater effect.

kcockayne
25th Apr 2024, 15:53
You can argue all you want about what is effective or not effective, what can be done & what can’t be done, what produces the most pollution & what produces the least; & it may well be, for all I know, that aviation does not rank very high on the pollution scale. But, what I do know (or perhaps more correctly, suspect) is that nothing meaningful will be done about it all until way after the deadline for doing it has passed. We are stuck with global warming. We had better hope that its ramifications are not anywhere near as bad as has been suggested. The world is too wrapped up in its wasteful & profligate lifestyle to be prepared to make the adjustments which might arrest global warming. The really unfair aspect of it is that it will be those who didn’t pollute the most who suffer the worst, & first.

ATNotts
25th Apr 2024, 15:58
kcockayne,

I fear you are absolutely right. Western / developed nations are too full of their own importance and the human race too influenced by religions that tell them we (humans) are superior beings that have a God given right to rape and pillory the planet. Sad really.

That however shouldn't stop those who can see the writing on the wall from trying to encourage change.

Nobody here would be proposing banning air travel as a means to an end but its more about marginal gains across all polluting sectors that might buy the planet time.

PAXboy
25th Apr 2024, 17:11
Likewise, many developing nations want the 'western lifestyle' and their politicians are very keen to provide.
Q.E.D.

Asturias56
26th Apr 2024, 09:22
many people in the "West" want a "western lifestyle" - they feast on influencers, social media, stories about consumption, travel and spending

That horse bolted a longgg time ago

TURIN
26th Apr 2024, 09:39
And yet we see a proliferation of wind power generation especially in western Europe. The UK alone has cut its reliance on fossil fuels massively since the 1980s. In the winter months between a third and a half of power generation comes from wind. We are doing something positive, I just hope the rest of the world follows. Texas seems to have some huge wind farms, maybe there's hope yet even for oil rich areas.

kcockayne
26th Apr 2024, 11:33
I cannot deny that the UK, & others have made great efforts to address the power generation problem. The question is, “is it enough ?” It probably isn’t, at the moment. We have to more than redouble our efforts in this area. The depressing realization is that there are so many more dimensions to address in our attempt to stop (or even, reverse) global warming. The list is practically endless; & addressing it seriously & effectively will demand so many sacrifices from us , as regards our current & future lifestyles, that I fear that the requisite changes will not prove acceptable without strong government direction & imposition; & equally strong civil resistance & severe social unrest. For instance, what will happen if we in the UK &, what is referred to as “the west”, make all the changes required of us, & the Chinese , Indians, Russians etc. , whoever, decide not to ? I can only see, in that instance, impoverished Western economies which cannot compete with those that don’t change in the same way that we MIGHT; resulting in civil unrest here & war against those “unco-operative societies” who refuse to do anything meaningfully appropriate, & who carry on as before (with much stronger economies than we have, as a result). My understanding of the situation , & the likely response to it, is that what is necessary is going to be unobtainable - for so many different reasons - that we are already past the “point of no return”.
I may be wrong, but there are SO MANY humans doing such stupid things & reluctant to consider adjusting their lifestyle aspirations significantly downwards - & I am one of them- that we will not address this situation with the gravity & expedition that it requires.

PAXboy
26th Apr 2024, 11:48
Not airline but this is the kind of problem the world faces. Notwithstanding the amount of plastic used in the airline worl.
The number of fossil fuel and petrochemical industry lobbyists has increased by more than a third at UN talks to agree the first global treaty to cut plastic pollution, analysis shows.

Most plastic is made from fossil fuels via a chemical process known as cracking, and 196 lobbyists from both industries are at the UN talks in Ottawa, Canada, where countries are attempting to come to an agreement to curb plastic production as part of a treaty to cut global plastic waste, according to analysis by the Center for International Environmental Law (Ciel).

The 196 lobbyists registered for the talks represent a 37% increase from the 143 lobbyists registered at the last talks, in Nairobi. This in turn was a 36% increase on the previous year’s number. Increased plastic production is a major part of the fossil fuel industry’s plans for the future, and any attempts to curb production, such as those being discussed at the UN talks, are an obvious threat to their profits.

The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/25/fears-grow-over-rising-number-of-oil-lobbyists-at-un-plastic-pollution-talks)

The communities most affected by plastic pollution, including Pacific small island states, are at the talks in far fewer numbers and do not have the same access to meetings with member states, Ciel said.

Tori Cress, communications manager at the environmental group Keepers of the Water, which is part of the Indigenous Peoples’ Caucus at the talks, said: “Industry lobbyists are enjoying seats on state delegations while the communities most impacted by the plastic crisis struggle to have their voices heard.

“While we are surrounded by industry-sponsored pro-plastics ads, Indigenous peoples’ representatives experience lack of access, are given extremely limited time to speak, and lack recognition even at the First Nations table. Plastics have poisoned our water and what happens to the water happens to people.”

Discussions at the UN treaty talks in Ottawa are attempting to break the deadlock between fossil fuel nations and others pushing for an ambitious treaty to deal with the whole lifecycle of plastic.

Asturias56
27th Apr 2024, 07:18
"And yet we see a proliferation of wind power generation especially in western Europe. The UK alone has cut its reliance on fossil fuels massively since the 1980s. I"

Vast incentives, tax breaks, higher prices - works every time

Recently the Govt tightened the terms a bit and they got no takers for the next offshore wind bidding round

Officer Cartman
27th Apr 2024, 12:09
If you want to help the climate, don’t worry about aviation as it’s the square root of naff all in the big scheme. The best way to help the climate is to stop cutting down the rainforests and have less babies.

The 90s the population was just over 6 billion, it’s now over 8 billion.

ATNotts
27th Apr 2024, 12:46
If you want to help the climate, don’t worry about aviation as it’s the square root of naff all in the big scheme. The best way to help the climate is to stop cutting down the rainforests and have less babies.

The 90s the population was just over 6 billion, it’s now over 8 billion.
Look, you are absolutely right regarding population, but if a BBC report this week is to be believed births are falling now.

However if all the smaller (not insignificant) polluters do something rather than saying its not their responsibility, while the larger contributors also take steps, which they are doing, we may be in a better place. Fortunately aviation is making an effort but there's far too much green wash going on, not necessarily by airlines, but by airports too.

TURIN
27th Apr 2024, 14:01
"And yet we see a proliferation of wind power generation especially in western Europe. The UK alone has cut its reliance on fossil fuels massively since the 1980s. I"

Vast incentives, tax breaks, higher prices - works every time

Recently the Govt tightened the terms a bit and they got no takers for the next offshore wind bidding round
The only thing that has put the prices up is the wholesale price and distribution of gas/oil. Not 'green' energy.
Still what price is the future worth?

Asturias56
27th Apr 2024, 15:15
UK Govt Announcement 2023

The government has increased the maximum price for offshore wind projects in its flagship renewables scheme to further cement the UK as a world leader in clean energy. Following an extensive review of the latest evidence, including the impact of global events on supply chains, the government has raised the maximum price offshore wind and other renewables projects can receive in the next Contracts for Difference (CfD) auction to ensure it is performing effectively.

The CfD scheme ensures renewable energy projects receive a guaranteed price from the government for the electricity they generate, encouraging continued investment in the UK - which is already home to the world’s 5 largest operational offshore wind farm projects and has increased electricity generation from renewables from 6% in the first quarter of 2010 to 48% in the first quarter of this year.

The maximum strike price has been increased by 66% for offshore wind projects, from £44/MWh to £73/MWh, and by 52% for floating offshore wind projects, from £116/MWh to £176/MWh ahead of Allocation Round 6 (AR6) next year.

SWBKCB
30th Apr 2024, 15:36
Following an alert from the European Consumer Organisation (BEUC), the European Commission and EU consumer authorities (Network of Consumer Protection Cooperation - CPC - Authorities) sent letters to 20 airlines identifying several types of potentially misleading green claims and inviting them to bring their practices in line with EU consumer law within 30 days.

Key elements of the action:

The European Commission and the CPC network, have identified several types of potentially misleading practices by 20 airlines, such as:

creating the incorrect impression that paying an additional fee to finance climate projects with less environmental impact or to support the use of alternative aviation fuels can reduce or fully counterbalance the CO2 emissions;

using the term “sustainable aviation fuels” (SAF) without clearly justifying the environmental impact of such fuels;
using the terms “green”, “sustainable” or “responsible” in an absolute way or use other implicit green claims;
claiming that the airline is moving towards net-zero greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) or any future environmental performance, without clear and verifiable commitments, targets and an independent monitoring system;
presenting consumers with a “calculator” for the CO2 emissions of a specific flight, without providing sufficient scientific proof on whether such calculation is reliable and without the information on the elements used for such calculation;
presenting consumers with a comparison of flights regarding their CO2 emissions, without providing sufficient and accurate information on the elements the comparison is based on.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_24_2322

How many posts before we get into a Brexit hamsterwheel!? :ok:

ATNotts
30th Apr 2024, 15:58
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_24_2322

How many posts before we get into a Brexit hamsterwheel!? :ok:
Glad to see action being taken on "green wash". I wonder when / if the UK and other administrations will follow the EU's excellent example.

ManUtd1999
5th May 2024, 13:04
It's not really about stopping your average family going on their summer holiday. But there does need to be a realisation that:
a) aviation will be one of the hardest industries to decarbonise, so we need to get started ASAP
b) reducing unnecessary flying will be an important part of that.

I think a good first step would be to reform Air Passenger Duty to help influence airline and customer behaviours. Some sort of "climate multiplier" on top of the current rates:

0.75 for flights on next-gen or turboprop aircraft.
3 for flights where there is a viable train alternative (eg, >5 direct trains per day, <5 hrs journey).
10 for private jets (or 50 tbh).
1 for everything else (ie, unchanged).