PDA

View Full Version : Middle East, Australian base.

Pastor of Muppets
2nd Feb 2024, 03:43
So a couple of days ago I was contacted by a recruiting department on behalf of a well known Middle Eastern carrier, by telephone, Conversation was reference a COVID times CV that I sent off and I thought it interesting that reference was made to the very likely possibility of an Australian base. I’m employed outside of flying these days so I cut the call short and continued preparing flowers in our florist store. The afternoon rolled by and I got to thinking……

Anyone get a call like this? Was it a prank?

ps.The 14th is only around the corner, don’t forget the flowers😀

CaptCloudbuster
2nd Feb 2024, 03:49
Don’t be shy, which Company?

hoss
2nd Feb 2024, 04:33
You should be in Marketing, that was the best advertisement for a Florist that I’ve seen lately. Excellent work😉👍🌹.

krismiler
2nd Feb 2024, 04:45
Rumours that it could be Emirates, a base would be an option similar to Cathay years ago. Reverse rostering could work as well with trips starting and ending in Australia and a hotel room provided in Dubai.

morno
2nd Feb 2024, 05:55
If it’s true and does happen, in my opinion it’ll be the catalyst to finally tip the pilot shortage over the edge of the cliff here in Australia. Here’s hoping

B043
2nd Feb 2024, 06:08
Have heard the same, interesting.

Pastor of Muppets
2nd Feb 2024, 06:08
It appears to be very true. “Sooner rather than later” seems to be the feeling.
Have spoken with 2 colleagues now working in the UAE and there is much excitement among the expatriate community with prospects of returning home.
Big plans apparently with several bases outside of UAE, Aus the largest.
Exciting times.💪💪

dr dre
2nd Feb 2024, 07:41
So a couple of days ago I was contacted by a recruiting department on behalf of a well known Middle Eastern carrier, by telephone, Conversation was reference a COVID times CV that I sent off and I thought it interesting that reference was made to the very likely possibility of an Australian base.

It would go against every previous ME carrier hiring policy. Even if this did become a reality I would imagine first choice for Australian bases would be given to already employed pilots.

walesregent
2nd Feb 2024, 08:40
It would go against every previous ME carrier hiring policy. Even if this did become a reality I would imagine first choice for Australian bases would be given to already employed pilots.

Are the hiring policies currently providing enough crew?

framer
2nd Feb 2024, 08:47
Even if this did become a reality I would imagine first choice for Australian bases would be given to already employed pilots.
Wouldnt that reduce the efficacy of the policy? Ie why fill it up with pilots you already have access to if your goal is to get more pilots flying your metal? I think a more likely strategy would be to drip feed the ME based Ausi’s home at juuuuust the right rate to keep them onboard while still attracting Rex, Bonza, Jetstar and Virgin pilots to join up. I’d say two newbies for every Australian who moves back from the desert.
I suspect this is driven by the competition for ME pilots with RX starting up. They have 39 787’s on order and I doubt they’ll be short of cash.

neville_nobody
2nd Feb 2024, 09:08
Are the hiring policies currently providing enough crew?

Of what calibre is probably the question to ask.

It will put VA and JQ under enormous pressure if they seriously recruit domestically.

krismiler
2nd Feb 2024, 09:20
It's a considerable benefit to the airline as well, no more housing, school fees and medical coverage. Just a hotel room when passing through. Crew turnover will plummet and they will attract people who weren't willing to live in the desert full time.

framer
2nd Feb 2024, 09:37
and they will attract people who weren't willing to live in the desert full time.
No doubt about that at all. Its just lucky that the corporate types at our main Airlines have made a concerted effort post-Covid to ensure all their pilots feel valued and reap the benefits of the incredible demand for air travel that has seen ticket prices soar. If they had continued on as if the market for pilots hadn’t changed they would really struggle in 2025 to maintain their schedules let alone enact their plans to increase market-share through expansion. Phew!

Dora-9
2nd Feb 2024, 09:50
It's a considerable benefit to the airline as well, no more housing, school fees and medical coverage. Just a hotel room when passing through. Crew turnover will plummet and they will attract people who weren't willing to live in the desert full time.

As long as they think carefully about Australian Long Service Leave entitlements, which will accrue from the date you joined your ME airline (even if they set up a separate company for based crew) - Cathay got badly bitten by this when setting up Australian bases.

walesregent
2nd Feb 2024, 09:52
No doubt about that at all. Its just lucky that the corporate types at our main Airlines have made a concerted effort post-Covid to ensure all their pilots feel valued and reap the benefits of the incredible demand for air travel that has seen ticket prices soar. If they had continued on as if the market for pilots hadn’t changed they would really struggle in 2025 to maintain their schedules let alone enact their plans to increase market-share through expansion. Phew!

gold.

kingRB
2nd Feb 2024, 10:02

Sir please refrain from exhausting the full month's supply of sarcasm in one post. Leave some for the rest of us. :D

walesregent
2nd Feb 2024, 10:04
Of what calibre is probably the question to ask.

It will put VA and JQ under enormous pressure if they seriously recruit domestically.

Yeah. The point I was making was that, sensible organisations that they are, they will only maintain their stance against commuting until they have to start parking aeroplanes. Sadly that level of pragmatism doesn’t seem to exist amongst Australian employers

Duck Pilot
2nd Feb 2024, 10:49
I’m sure the ATO will welcome this initiative….

Check the definition of an Australian tax resident before making a decision to base in Australia, as the tax free salary may in fact be taxed at nearly 50% :}

SOPS
2nd Feb 2024, 10:59

Check the definition of an Australian tax resident before making a decision to base in Australia, as the tax free salary may in fact be taxed at nearly 50% :}

I was just about to say the same thing.

compressor stall
2nd Feb 2024, 11:11
As long as they think carefully about Australian Long Service Leave entitlements, which will accrue from the date you joined your ME airline (even if they set up a separate company for based crew) - Cathay got badly bitten by this when setting up Australian bases.
I have a good mate who was working in tech field in the US and was able to head the expansion back here to move home.
He outsourced all the HR stuff and employment stuff at the start to just focus on the tech side. Soon after he gets an irate call from the American boss ranting about “they get 4 weeks leave in Oz that’s insane and what’s this f$&@#% long service leave crap, tell me it’s a joke!”

walesregent
2nd Feb 2024, 11:16

Really? What rules apply that stop you paying the same tax rates as any other Australian national? I know you don’t get the tax free threshold as a foreigner working here, but have never heard of foreign income being treated differently. Asking out of genuine curiosity, no malice intended

morno
2nd Feb 2024, 11:40
Really? What rules apply that stop you paying the same tax rates as any other Australian national? I know you don’t get the tax free threshold as a foreigner working here, but have never heard of foreign income being treated differently. Asking out of genuine curiosity, no malice intended

I think what he’s getting at, is that unlike the tax free salary you’d get in Dubai, if you lived in Australia it’s suddenly not tax free, and you would be paying 47% tax on it (as you’re most likely going to be in the top tax bracket), making it not worth as much in the hand anymore.

IF this did happen (I still think it’s a little too early for April Fools), I’d suggest that there’d be a much different package than what’s on offer in Dubai.

Chronic Snoozer
2nd Feb 2024, 12:07
Steady on, 47%. That is merely the top rate which kicks in above $180k. A 300k pa salary would surrender around 35c in the dollar before Medicare.

And the Muscat refueller says it’s not EK.

morno
2nd Feb 2024, 12:39
Steady on, 47%. That is merely the top rate which kicks in above $180k. A 300k pa salary would surrender around 35c in the dollar before Medicare.

Alright, I was simplifying it for arguments sake. You’re right, approx 35 cents per dollar.

dejapoo
2nd Feb 2024, 12:41

it's the goat 🐐

krismiler
2nd Feb 2024, 12:44
Negative gearing and novated car leases lessen the tax burden a bit. Paying 30% odd might be worth it for a life at home and continuing to stay married.

China Southern offered reverse rostering pre COVID which was a huge incentive compared to living in the PRC.

walesregent
2nd Feb 2024, 13:20
Alright, I was simplifying it for arguments sake. You’re right, approx 35 cents per dollar.

Maybe the original poster included GST, fuel excise, stamp duty, sin taxes (booze, tobacco, etc) etc in which case 50% might actually be close to the mark. I personally would rather pay these taxes than live in the ME but I get that it might be a factor in some people’s decisions.

Duck Pilot
2nd Feb 2024, 16:20
I’m talking about the marginal income tax rate for someone on 300K or more p/a.

https://www.ato.gov.au/tax-rates-and-codes/tax-rates-australian-residents

Foreign income is definitely used to calculate an Australian tax resident’s marginal income tax rate, regardless of what tax rate one is charged offshore.

Best seek advice from a good tax advisor. I speak from a bad experience with regards to this issue.

Fonz121
2nd Feb 2024, 19:56
This went from a rumour to a tax conundrum in record pace.

framer
2nd Feb 2024, 20:06
If it’s enough to simply pay the Australian taxes on like any other income, then it’s enough. If you have to start thinking about whether or not you’re a tax resident or not it’s a giant pain in the bum that probably won’t work. I suspect the salary will be tailored to ensure you can sit in Manly, pay your 35% , and still feel good about life.

cloudsurfng
2nd Feb 2024, 20:40
Sounds like a great way to recruit suckers only to have to close the base due to ‘efficiencies’ or ‘change in business circumstances’ not much later with the condition of ‘if you want to keep your job, it’s now based in …….’

would you really trust them enough to not have that concern resting on your shoulders?

Jimsaviation
2nd Feb 2024, 21:00
Even if it does happen, employment will most likely be on a specific Australian base contract through an entity set up specifically for hiring crew in Australia. You cannot maintain a non-resident tax status and be an Australian-based crew.

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully, it does happen and shakes up the great Australian employers to pay a wage commensurate with experience and skill. However, the C-suite in Australia is a toxic gas and would rather shut down the industry than improve T & C's, but I digress.

cLeArIcE
2nd Feb 2024, 22:57
Even if it does happen, employment will most likely be on a specific Australian base contract through an entity set up specifically for hiring crew in Australia.
Do you know if that's how it worked at china Southern etc? Makes sense.
This is very in interesting, but if (big if) this is true, I think the numbers of crew applying at JQ, VA, and all the other QF subsidiary's will be huge. It has the potential to really shake things up. They will have no problem crewing the entire operation and then some just on Australian pilots let alone other bases.
​​​​​

Jimsaviation
3rd Feb 2024, 00:32
Not really at China Southern, but it was how CX did it back in the day. China Southern was reverse-scheduling port vs. CX's Australian base. Given Middle East promises are about as reliable as Philip Lowe's interest rate predictions, I'd be careful signing up for a reverse schedule by any of the ME3.

As far as tax, my understanding is that CSA pilots were still liable for Aus tax, but their salaries are net of Chinese tax. Therefore, with the Chinese-Australian tax treaty, you would give the ATO a certificate from China stating the tax paid and eliminate a double tax.

It would be good if the original poster would say which company called them. I know QR are losing crew to Riyadh with the 2on/2off deal, so my bet would be on them. I don't see EK doing it because everyone loves Dubai.

Anyway, it is all speculation, and I have no idea how it will be managed if and when it comes about.

dragon man
3rd Feb 2024, 00:40
If it places Australian companies under pressure to keep pilots then it can’t come quick enough. Hope it materialises and is not just a rumour.

Global Aviator
3rd Feb 2024, 02:27
You should be in Marketing, that was the best advertisement for a Florist that I’ve seen lately. Excellent work😉👍🌹.

Still waiting on the link to order the flowers!

SDN Superstar
3rd Feb 2024, 08:22
Do they have a B scale?

Asking for a friend…

missy
3rd Feb 2024, 10:38
So a couple of days ago I was contacted by a recruiting department on behalf of a well known Middle Eastern carrier, by telephone, Conversation was reference a COVID times CV that I sent off and I thought it interesting that reference was made to the very likely possibility of an Australian base. I’m employed outside of flying these days so I cut the call short and continued preparing flowers in our florist store. The afternoon rolled by and I got to thinking……

Anyone get a call like this? Was it a prank?

ps.The 14th is only around the corner, don’t forget the flowers😀
Argh, The Florist, making your own arrangements.

Roses please!

Gnadenburg
3rd Feb 2024, 16:57
Could be true. Local Australian pilots have a cheap mindset and are slaves to a mortgage. A sound industrial move by the former slave traders to secure human capital.

aussieflyboy
4th Feb 2024, 02:54
Sounds like a great way to recruit suckers only to have to close the base due to ‘efficiencies’ or ‘change in business circumstances’ not much later with the condition of ‘if you want to keep your job, it’s now based in …….’

would you really trust them enough to not have that concern resting on your shoulders?

Mate have a look at how many bases the Qantas Group has closed in the last 5 years. For someone who has a life and family in Perth, Cairns, Darwin ect. and then has a Qantas ‘manager’ close that base and get told to move to MEL or ADL it’s really no different to being told to move to the ME (ie: your going to tell them to stick it).

Fluke
4th Feb 2024, 03:20
Short memories.
I was in SQ when they tried oversea basings in the 90’s.
It’s a management tactic used to destabilise current workforce conditions and source new skilled labour.
Financially it works for company when they can pay the foreign workforce out of ticket revenue earned offshore so the money and costs never show up in main airline base. Tax becomes an issue for employees as you are an Australian tax resident with very few deductible claims. I think SQ employed through Mauritius. Another tactic is to construct something significant in Australia and get a state payroll tax exemption like Cathay negotiated for a while.

gordonfvckingramsay
4th Feb 2024, 04:15
Wait til a certain US carrier opens an Aussie base(s) :oh:

onezeroonethree
4th Feb 2024, 06:44
What’s the credibility of this rumour?

It's making my trousers tight. I want to believe it.

Hoosten
4th Feb 2024, 07:50
I heard about it before I read about it here. Not that that means much, I also heard it from a few un-related sources.

Scooter Rassmussin
4th Feb 2024, 23:11
I can only imagine you would be a contractor to the company not on the broad seniority so leaving the ME to come home would stop further entitlements.
Without schooling and Housing I’m sure they could pay around $300k AUD , if your a contractor %30 company tax in Australia.

Switchbait
5th Feb 2024, 00:13
I can only…

Without schooling and Housing I’m sure they could pay around $300k AUD , if your a contractor %30 company tax in Australia.

Not quite that simple unfortunately.

KAPAC
5th Feb 2024, 00:43
Start and finish in Australia , does not mean live in Australia .

Icarus2001
5th Feb 2024, 02:20
Start and finish in Australia , does not mean live in Australia . I like your thinking.

exfocx
5th Feb 2024, 02:48

Anyone thinking that they can have a contract basing them in Australia and not pay tax is kidding themselves.

First off the ATO will ask to see your contract, the moment it has you based here you are a resident, this will be confirmed by the fact your family will be here as well, you’ll be accessing medicare, have everyday bank accounts, children going to school and you still living in your home. Don’t even think about the 180 day as that is just one part of the story, the points just made kill that. You can be away for more than 180 days and still be a resident. PWC advice to me back in 2010 was an engineer they represented against the ATO. Based in UAE, family living here, only coming back 6 wks pa. RESULT: resident for tax purposes, ties to Australia not cut, kids in school, wife here living in family home, house mortgage etc.

If you get advise to the contrary ask your advisor if they recommend asking the ATO for a ruling on your circumstances! If you ignore that it is self assessment, so you could get away with it, until you get audited.

SOPS
5th Feb 2024, 02:50
Have a house and wife and kids in Australia? You are living in Australia. Have a look at the ATO web site.

neville_nobody
5th Feb 2024, 03:56
Anyone thinking that they can have a contract basing them in Australia and not pay tax is kidding themselves.

First off the ATO will ask to see your contract, the moment it has you based here you are a resident, this will be confirmed by the fact your family will be here as well, you’ll be accessing medicare, have everyday bank accounts, children going to school and you still living in your home. Don’t even think about the 180 day as that is just one part of the story, the points just made kill that. You can be away for more than 180 days and still be a resident. PWC advice to me back in 2010 was an engineer they represented against the ATO. Based in UAE, family living here, only coming back 6 wks pa. RESULT: resident for tax purposes, ties to Australia not cut, kids in school, wife here living in family home, house mortgage etc.

If you get advise to the contrary ask your advisor if they recommend asking the ATO for a ruling on your circumstances! If you ignore that it is self assessment, so you could get away with it, until you get audited.

Was that’s a judge’s opinion or the ATO’s?? The ATO loves to throw its weight around but are reluctant to actually go to court which result in binding rulings they don’t control. A bit like another regulator we’re all familiar with.

Icarus2001
5th Feb 2024, 03:56
Single guy or girl, no kids, no property in Australia, other than investment?

KAPAC
5th Feb 2024, 05:19
Lots of Aussies married to non Aussies and SE Asia , for whatever reason, seems to be where the wives where born . So living near Australia might work with no ties except work ? Tax implications I got no idea .

Duck Pilot
5th Feb 2024, 05:39

I agree however I would go one further and recommend no investment property/no income being sourced in Australia.

If you’ve got a house, don’t rent it out. Lock it up and leave it empty and get someone to check on it regularly.

Chris2303
5th Feb 2024, 06:56
Have a house and wife and kids in Australia? You are living in Australia. Have a look at the ATO web site.

What if one was a Kiwi, living in NZ and commuting?

Lapon
5th Feb 2024, 08:26
What if one was a Kiwi, living in NZ and commuting?

You'd face the same situation with the IRD wrt whatever thier requirements are.

exfocx
5th Feb 2024, 12:35
Was that’s a judge’s opinion or the ATO’s?? The ATO loves to throw its weight around but are reluctant to actually go to court which result in binding rulings they don’t control. A bit like another regulator we’re all familiar with.

They lost to the ATO in the AAT. I was told they took a much harder attitude after the GFC. There was a Dr who left here and went to Indo, left his house empty for when they came back for holidays and also lost on the subject of "resident for tax purposes" (in the papers at the time).

exfocx
5th Feb 2024, 12:43

The problem with this is I’d have thought the company that employs you will be required to tax you as an Australian resident, they’ll also likely need to see a “right to reside”. If they op out of here and try to get around tax law and get caught, it will look rather ugly in the press and in addition, might find themselves up for the unpaid tax.

Icarus2001
5th Feb 2024, 13:10
The problem with this is I’d have thought the company that employs you will be required to tax you as an Australian resident,

What, if you live in Indonesia and commute to Australia three times a month to pickup an outbound flight.

The UAE would not collect tax for the ATO. Are you crazy?

I think someone is wishful thinking this to happen. I can’t see it.

Capn Rex Havoc
5th Feb 2024, 16:45
A lot of guys are based in Aus, and commute flying for Atlas and National. It works.

Lapon
5th Feb 2024, 18:07
A lot of guys are based in Aus, and commute flying for Atlas and National. It works.

Australia have a tax treaty with the US (and many other countries). The commuters I know pay tax in the US but also pay what is essentially a top up tax to the ATO here.

My understanding is that with a tax treaty arrangement the ATO will recognize tax paid to an overseas authority and merely charge you the difference. With the ME however no such treaty exists so you'll be on the hook for the whole lot.

Jimsaviation
5th Feb 2024, 19:06
What, if you live in Indonesia and commute to Australia three times a month to pickup an outbound flight.

The UAE would not collect tax for the ATO. Are you crazy?

I think someone is wishful thinking this to happen. I can’t see it.

Can you confirm Dnata doesn't collect PAYG witholding tax for their Australian employees?

Lapon
5th Feb 2024, 19:13
Can you confirm Dnata doesn't collect PAYG witholding tax for their Australian employees?

Id speculate DNATA (Australia) functions as a local subsidiary of its parent company - in which case those Australian employees would have thier payg collected.

If whoever the mystery suitor is set a subsidiary company employing pilots in Australia in the context of this thread, then they probably would do too. Working for a local subsidiary is different to a mere 'basing' however.

Jimsaviation
5th Feb 2024, 20:38
Id speculate DNATA (Australia) functions as a local subsidiary of its parent company - in which case those Australian employees would have thier payg collected.

If whoever the mystery suitor is set a subsidiary company employing pilots in Australia in the context of this thread, then they probably would do too. Working for a local subsidiary is different to a mere 'basing' however.I guess it comes down to what your definition of an Australian base is. To me, an Australian base is an employment contract stating that your domicile is a city in Australia. This is how CX did it back in the day. They were on an Australia EA as if you worked for an Australian airline. They (management) could not unilaterally move you to HK when it suited them.

If you join a Middle East airline with just a reverse roster, you technically are Middle East-based with a reverse roster. The roster will last as long as it suits them. You will probably be paid in some sought of Dirham or a Riyal, and in the absence of a tax treaty, once you take out Australian tax, will probably be very average pay. But hey, it will do wonders for SJS.

gordonfvckingramsay
5th Feb 2024, 21:58
Wouldn’t DNATA staff be below the tax free threshold anyway?

That’s a tongue in cheek joke by the way. I would never suggest that a group of workers working for a subsidiary would be anywhere near the poverty line.

I guess the ‘good’ news is that we’re all living in one of the highest taxing nations in the world. As long as each country isn’t double dipping and the airline you’re looking at working for pays well, you’re in front. Also, you’re not beholden to our national airlines and the IR growth that seems to have metastasised within.

dragon man
5th Feb 2024, 23:10
With the computer tie ups the ATO has I’m sure they would monitor non residents passports as they come thru immigration so they know how often you are in the country and if they think there is a chance to squeeze the lemon($$) they will do it.

StudentInDebt
6th Feb 2024, 00:39
With the computer tie ups the ATO has I’m sure they would monitor non residents passports as they come thru immigration so they know how often you are in the country and if they think there is a chance to squeeze the lemon($$) they will do it.when we used to qualify for family tax benefit, whenever we left Australia on holiday it stopped and recommenced the day we arrived back. They will know.

CaptainInsaneO
6th Feb 2024, 02:10
The mining sector has done this for yonks. Expect to pay full ATO rates, but who cares? You'd be on better equipment, better pay and better rosters than anything here in Aus. I hope some big carriers do it, they'll get plenty of quality applicants.

framer
6th Feb 2024, 04:29
InsaneO is onto it.
Find out the salary, calculate what tax is due on it with no smoke and mirrors, and then decide if the left overs are enough. It probably will be.
The second you start running grey lines around days in country and investment properties in Trusts etc etc, is the second that you’ll start stressing. It’ll either be worth it, or it won’t. The bloke talking about shuffling things around to make it work while you’re enjoying ice cream in the cruise at 3am is not stress free, ….at least I wasn’t.

nomess
6th Feb 2024, 05:18
I’d be getting proper advice on the topic firstly, and secondly those who with to play games with the ATO, well you will likely get caught in their web.

Cathay Pilots based locally played the system in the 90s and it worked for most of them, then computers got upgraded as time went on and data matching was a thing, then the ATO came knocking on the unknown to them prior, Sydney home address.

Don’t forget, for those operators who want to start an expat base here, know full well they will get a significant amount of applications, and when all things taken into account, will be on rates below narrow body local salaries, so it’s also an opportunity for them to pull back the overall wage bill. Just don’t bring your whinging on here if you’re earning less vs what you did at Virgin. You episode be better off looking at Chinese expat bases who pay significant.

josephfeatherweight
6th Feb 2024, 05:39
So much chat, so little chance this is going to be a thing...

AQIS Boigu
7th Feb 2024, 08:39
Four pages of rumors and tax advice

Does anyone actually have any solid information such as a company memo?

Wouldn't you expect the Middle East Forums to blow up with the good news - lots of silence over there instead

clear to land
14th Feb 2024, 09:49
They have new management, no requirement to keep the money ‘in country’ like UAE, so can’t say never. They could crew an entire base with experienced pilots from EK/EY with no training liability which would be a win for them as well. Also offset any crew loss to RIA. Interesting times.

maggot
14th Feb 2024, 21:15
Four pages of rumors and tax advice

Does anyone actually have any solid information such as a company memo?

Wouldn't you expect the Middle East Forums to blow up with the good news - lots of silence over there instead
Mexican standoff waiting to see how to get it

hoss
15th Feb 2024, 02:21
I hope Pastor of Muppets had a cracker of a day doing business yesterday. Well done Mate👍

VAMY
19th Feb 2024, 13:06

Not quite correct.

Saudi Arabian had many external crew bases throughout the 1980’s & 1990’s, with crew bases in Athens, Bangkok, Jeddah, London, Manila, New York, and Paris. Rumour has it that the new Saudi national carrier will revisit that model to attract crew for their fledgling airline.

BubbaJ
19th Feb 2024, 18:15
Has to be Riyadh Air have heard they will be offering commutable contracts. Much better option than an Aus Base. How else are they going to attract type rated experienced crew.

Atlas now offering significant $ towards commuting
Kalitta…
National…
Korean offering commuting
Air Japan offering commuting
ANA offering commuting
Won’t be long all the Chinese carriers will be back at it

logansi
20th Feb 2024, 07:04
Wouldn’t DNATA staff be below the tax free threshold anyway?

That’s a tongue in cheek joke by the way. I would never suggest that a group of workers working for a subsidiary would be anywhere near the poverty line.

I guess the ‘good’ news is that we’re all living in one of the highest taxing nations in the world. As long as each country isn’t double dipping and the airline you’re looking at working for pays well, you’re in front. Also, you’re not beholden to our national airlines and the IR growth that seems to have metastasised within.

You might be amazed to know that DNATA is currently home to the $100k rampies, with a large % of people on the current EBA taking home 6 figures with a few hours overtime a week. Its also part of why Qantas is about to dump them, they are demanding too much money

aseriesofleftturns
20th Feb 2024, 12:26
Has to be Riyadh Air have heard they will be offering commutable contracts. Much better option than an Aus Base. How else are they going to attract type rated experienced crew.

Atlas now offering significant $ towards commuting
Kalitta…
National…
Korean offering commuting
Air Japan offering commuting
ANA offering commuting
Won’t be long all the Chinese carriers will be back at it

ANA/Air Japan not the same contract?

BubbaJ
20th Feb 2024, 16:45
Air-Japan a LC subsidiary of ANA, I would think a different contract but correct me if I'm wrong.

galdian
20th Feb 2024, 22:40
Happy to be corrected but AFAIK there have never been gaijin pilots in MAINLINE operations at either ANA or JAL, pilot unions simply didn't allow it. EOFS.

Subsidiaries/LCC ops in both airlines most certainly.
Cheers

blubak
21st Feb 2024, 06:03
You might be amazed to know that DNATA is currently home to the $100k rampies, with a large % of people on the current EBA taking home 6 figures with a few hours overtime a week. Its also part of why Qantas is about to dump them, they are demanding too much money
So, taking that statement as it reads does it mean that the recently depated ex kiwi farmer who convinced everybody how many millions would be saved by outsourcing baggage/ramp etc was being untruthful?
Cant even imagine that would be the case.