PDA

View Full Version : CX pilots to be offered bonuses to fly over CNY

joblow
30th Jan 2024, 06:04
I see according to the SCMP that the wonderful MR Kempis has decided to offer pilots a bonus to fly over CNY
pilots working during the holiday would receive a payment of 15, 25 or 30 per cent of their respective flying hour rates, depending on the scheduled length of the flight.
Pilots operating services of five hours or less, for example, will get 30 per cent of their hourly flying rate, while those on flights of up to 8½ hours will receive 25 per cent. Flights above 8½ hours will drop to 15 per cent

note it’s only 15% of hourly rate for anything over 8.5 hours, such a wonderful bonus I’m sure everyone will rush to take it . Well all those not knocking on the 900hr mark perhaps

Rug
30th Jan 2024, 06:22
The chapters of the Harvard Business School case study continue to simply write themselves.

cygnet78
30th Jan 2024, 08:54
Lucky you CX pilots.

Uplinker
30th Jan 2024, 09:03
Oh wait.....Chinese New Year !!

I was wondering why Cx pilots needed an incentive to overfly an airfield in Utah !! :)

We never got anything extra for flying at Christmas or New Year - one of my bugbears.

SOPS
30th Jan 2024, 09:14
So the longer you fly..the less you get?? What planet are these people on?

arse
30th Jan 2024, 09:18
The new allowance will be trialed during the Lunar New Year period between 7 and 18 February 2024,

The February roster is already published. Are they hoping this will stop people going sick over that period?

It seems rather arbitrary.

Although there seems to be plenty of seats on Cathay flights over CNY (unheard of in the past), as people are weary of cancellations and so are booking elsewhere.

Backupnav
30th Jan 2024, 10:24
No matter what, some of you guys will never stop whinging. At times it is laughable but more often than not, that is very sad.

400 Jockey
31st Jan 2024, 00:43
And there will be no shortage of volunteers.:ugh:

Starbear
31st Jan 2024, 16:20
Ah Kempis, the gift that keeps on giving.

Only thing I find confusing as why they have to offer a bonus at all when they can simply roster whomever they want. Perhaps its belated Altruism? yeah that must be it as nothing else fits. Can just picture Crew Control juggling all those balls to match longest flights with pilots on minimum block hours.

Piet Lood
31st Jan 2024, 19:18
Enjoy those 30 pieces of silver y’all

smogluver
1st Feb 2024, 00:39
The thirty plus tails parked up yesterday looked very impressive, Cathay is still the world leader in aircraft parking. They must be bleeding money out of their eyeballs. Schadenfreud bliss just hope they don’t go under due their incompetence, as many people still need their jobs.

Piet Lood
1st Feb 2024, 15:18
Cx won’t go under.
They have money to burn.
The Swires are some of the richest people on the planet and they can waste millions if not billions.
They just won’t waste it on you commoners!

Meursault
1st Feb 2024, 16:05
Cathay is highly profitable, guys. No money bleeding or burning anywhere.

LootedfromCPA
2nd Feb 2024, 06:48
The bonus is like a couple hundred hkd extra per flight? Thank god cx management blew this up on the news wow aren’t they so nice to pilots after all :ugh: It was certainly the pilot body’s fault for falling sick and definitely not related to poor scheduling practices! If the offer is actually generous why not disclose the cash amount they are offering as part of this CNY bonus trial. Maybe it will feel like too big of a joke? HBR case study :D

8driver
2nd Feb 2024, 06:54
I’m surprised it wasn’t 800 HKD or the janitor’s salary, whichever is less.

VforVENDETTA
2nd Feb 2024, 09:03
Cathay is highly profitable, guys. No money bleeding or burning anywhere.
This is what colonials kept saying in India right up to the moment it all fell apart.

Meursault
2nd Feb 2024, 10:07
It is simply a fact. The claim Cathay is in need of cash injections as stated above is incorrect.

On a side note, apart from making a comparison a bit out of context in my opinion, you are not correct to assume that the British rule in India ended suddenly, quite the opposite actually. The fight for independence lasted for years, decades if you include the Montagu-Chelmsford reforms 1919 or even the foundation of the Indian Nationalist Congress in 1885. The famous salt march was 1930, 17 years before the declaration of independence 1947.

smogluver
2nd Feb 2024, 12:01
Yea after the Chinese hayfever I do t think any airline is high five-ing and those guys have not recovered.

cxflog
2nd Feb 2024, 13:00
Even the thought of working for a CX salary under those conditions would make me sick and call out, especially over CNY.

CRWCRW
2nd Feb 2024, 19:26
Asked the cabin crew what they get for working over CNY…

Unsurprisingly, their names will be entered into a lucky draw if they don’t go sick!!! Bloody sad

Silent Treatment
3rd Feb 2024, 04:31
3 days unfit call with no doctors note. How long is CNY? Seems too easy.
AOA? Don’t need them.
Good luck to all those who have made travel plans during CNY with this outfit.

controlledrest
4th Feb 2024, 01:26
The mis-Managers are ****ting themselves. If there are canceled flights over CNY there may be a real investigation. The lie that the aircrew have been going sick will be revealed, as will the incompetence of the mis-Managers.

Sickness rates over xmas where actually lower than normal. The lack of reserve was due to the scramble by Crew Ops to man the flights tasked by Airline Planning. We never had the crew to hit 70%.

Zi Peng
4th Feb 2024, 02:39
The mis-Managers are ****ting themselves. If there are canceled flights over CNY there may be a real investigation. The lie that the aircrew have been going sick will be revealed, as will the incompetence of the mis-Managers.

Sickness rates over xmas were actually lower than normal. The lack of reserve was due to the scramble by Crew Ops to man the flights tasked by Airline Planning. We never had the crew to hit 70%.

Spot on ! They sold way too many flights, we could never crew them and they though they could get away with it.
They were late reactivating crew post Covid or return transfer pilots where needed. I am afraid the damage in image is extensive and difficult to repair.
Still no heads rolling though.

Meursault
4th Feb 2024, 03:28
Why are you so worked up about canceled flights? I could not care less. Nobody else cares. One minute you claim Cathay is imploding, the next it is not growing fast enough.What would be different for any of you if they had scheduled 10 flights less over Christmas? Completely irrelevant to us. Everybody in the industry and government knows it's all a joke. The very same government who shut down HKIA for years is now complaining about cancelled flights. It's a charade, a distraction, a joke. It's so obvious, how can you take this farcical show seriously?

controlledrest
4th Feb 2024, 03:50
The reason it matters is that the managers are lying about the reasons for cancelled flights. They are blaming the pilots.

It also matters that innocent passengers are having their holidays ruined by the incompetent managers.

VforVENDETTA
4th Feb 2024, 07:27
Why are you so worked up about canceled flights? I could not care less. Nobody else cares. One minute you claim Cathay is imploding, the next it is not growing fast enough.What would be different for any of you if they had scheduled 10 flights less over Christmas? Completely irrelevant to us. Everybody in the industry and government knows it's all a joke. The very same government who shut down HKIA for years is now complaining about cancelled flights. It's a charade, a distraction, a joke. It's so obvious, how can you take this farcical show seriously?
Didn't hk government give cathay a few billions hkd to ease cathay's cash flow situation due to the madness hk government was insisting on? Cathay took the money and never used it. Instead cathay did what has made it an international pariah for which pilots (or any other employees) don't want to work for unless they have to. Hk government offered a second handout also which cathay didn't even take this time.

What are your thoughts on this? I think hk government has a strong case to make regarding how they provided and offered cash to keep exactly the current situation, but cathay decided to do otherwise and hence they are in this situation.

I do agree with your characterization of hk government as being duplicit as it always has been. Causing a collapse of hk in general by very stupid policy mistakes when it was obvious what a disaster ot would cause in the long run. As in all things, it's always at a time of crisis when competence can be measured, not when it's all going well and normal. They puked all over themselves when it really counted, more than ever.

Meursault
4th Feb 2024, 09:35
Vendetta, I think you are confusing the bailout (39 Billion) with a credit line (7.9 Billion). The former was urgently required and indeed immediately used for recapitalisation in 2020, the latter as part of the package kept as reserve and on hold due to the incalculable length of the lockdown. Cathay raised about 12 billion in rights shares for every existing 11 shares held, 19.5 billion in preference shares for the government and additional warrants of 2 billion.
Your assumption that Cathay never used any state money is not correct.

Additionally, the bailout did not include any conditional agreeements as in preservation of all staff on current pay or similar. It can be safely assumed the government is not losing sleep about lower terms for expats, they probably celebrated it, after all they are now a shareholder and as such entitled to dividends. They also have voting rights as member of the board, they are involved in any strategic decision.

So far Cathay paid out north of 1.5 billion to HK gov, more to come. Them pointing fingers regarding the cancelations is as laughable as management accusing pilots, a complete travesty.

SloppyJoe
4th Feb 2024, 20:55
The reason it matters is that the managers are lying about the reasons for cancelled flights. They are blaming the pilots.

But why does that matter?

cadetjockey
4th Feb 2024, 23:22

But why does that matter?
didn’t they say it was because they didn’t plan enough reserve?

Progress Wanchai
5th Feb 2024, 03:02
[QUOTE=SloppyJoe;11590270]
didn’t they say it was because they didn’t plan enough reserve?

And they couldn’t plan more reserve as they don’t have enough pilots.

”There’s a hole in my bucket dear Liza, dear Liza…”

KABOY
5th Feb 2024, 06:39
So far Cathay paid out north of 1.5 billion to HK gov, more to come. Them pointing fingers regarding the cancelations is as laughable as management accusing pilots, a complete travesty.

Under CAD regulations, CX is required to have a minimum number of flights covered under reserve rostering. What the flight cancellations has exposed is thar CX is not meeting its regulatory obligations. What they are in effect doing is rostering against the CAD requirements, but lets all laugh our way to the bank as CX is making money.

Its okay to break the rules, after all they are holding back our schedules and that stops us making billions to pay the government back, isn't that right Meursault?

The dozen flight cancellations a day was the only way they could bring themselves back under the percentage reserve requirement.

VforVENDETTA
5th Feb 2024, 08:29
Vendetta, I think you are confusing the bailout (39 Billion) with a credit line (7.9 Billion). The former was urgently required and indeed immediately used for recapitalisation in 2020, the latter as part of the package kept as reserve and on hold due to the incalculable length of the lockdown. Cathay raised about 12 billion in rights shares for every existing 11 shares held, 19.5 billion in preference shares for the government and additional warrants of 2 billion.
Your assumption that Cathay never used any state money is not correct.

Additionally, the bailout did not include any conditional agreeements as in preservation of all staff on current pay or similar. It can be safely assumed the government is not losing sleep about lower terms for expats, they probably celebrated it, after all they are now a shareholder and as such entitled to dividends. They also have voting rights as member of the board, they are involved in any strategic decision.

The point of my post was, hk government can easily say we gave you all that money/credit so you wouldn't end up gutted. Yes we lost our mind proving how silly we really are in policy making. When it comes down to a crisis, we fall sideways out of our chair doing the most damage to ourselves. But we gave you all this money to prevent you from falling apart. How did you manage/mismanage to still fall apart?

Are they really celebrating about expats getting the shaft by cathay? Its the reason cathay is in such a desperate place with lack of pilots. And hk government is crying about exactly this. They're crying about rolling cancelations of flights due to... lack of pilots. They might have been not losing sleep about it initially but they sure are now and will well into the future. We'll deserved outcome of incompetence, by both hk government and cathay.

Australia2
8th Feb 2024, 08:51
The thirty plus tails parked up yesterday looked very impressive, Cathay is still the world leader in aircraft parking. They must be bleeding money out of their eyeballs. Schadenfreud bliss just hope they don’t go under due their incompetence, as many people still need their jobs.

. . . . . . and the staff travel.