PDA

View Full Version : Drone spotted in Melbourne, Australia 24.01.24 - 8:45pm AEST

testpilot2022
26th Jan 2024, 05:34
Hi all,

I'm a plane spotting enthusiast and I came across something I haven't seen before, below is a run down of what happened.

-The event started at around 8:30pm, I was indoors when I heard the sound. It was not the sound of a commercial plane, prop plane or helicopter. The best way to describe the sound was a rumbling noise, you could liken it to a jet putting on its afterburners but it was very muffled and had more bass.
- My sighting was around 8:45pm for a short period of about 10 seconds. I went outside and rookie mistake my phone was on charge and I have no video. The object looked like a satellite however it was accelerating at a high speed and made sharp sudden manoeuvres. To describe it in more detail it was basically a white/amber glowing dot. Even if I had my phone and videoed it I don't think I would have picked up much because it seemed to be quite a distance away.
- After I went inside I jumped straight onto flight radar to see if anything was on there and sure enough I managed to track it on the application. Below are the screenshots of its flight path at 9:10pm AEST.
- The object came up as N/A
- I viewed the object from Parkville, Melbourne facing North West.
- I told two friends of mine the story and it so happens that they also saw the exact same object roughly 20 minutes or so apart. One friend saw it from Plumpton flying towards the Tullamarine (international) airport and making zigzag manoeuvres in the sky.
- The second friend saw it from Broadmeadows and saw the same object making zigzag manoeuvres over the Tullamarine international airport while planes were landing.
- Both witnessed it closer than I did and both frustratingly did not film the object (one had a phone but didn't bother and the other did not have one on them at the time of the sighting).
- They both guessed that it was the size of a small bus however this was only a guess therefore I can't assume it is correct. They both saw it much closer than me and confirmed as I did that it was not a plane, or helicopter.
- All three of us believe it was a large drone, it did move as fast as a jet fighter but the manoeuvres were similar to what can be achieved with a quad copter.
- They both lost sight of it once it left the airport.

Any ideas what this could have been? Or what the best way would be to find any information?