PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Diversion

bar none
25th Jan 2024, 12:25
Yesterday 24 Jan there was a rather unusual occurrence. A Singapore airlines A350 operating the SQ52 from Singapore to Manchester made two approaches to Manchester and then diverted to East Midlands squawking 7700 where it landed safely. Nothing else diverted from Manchester that morning and operations seemed normal. I doubt if a Singapore passenger aircraft has ever visited East Midlands before. It seems odd that this one aircraft had problems and had to squark 7700 as a fuel emergency.

ATNotts
25th Jan 2024, 12:38
Yesterday 24 Jan there was a rather unusual occurrence. A Singapore airlines A350 operating the SQ52 from Singapore to Manchester made two approaches to Manchester and then diverted to East Midlands squawking 7700 where it landed safely. Nothing else diverted from Manchester that morning and operations seemed normal. I doubt if a Singapore passenger aircraft has ever visited East Midlands before. It seems odd that this one aircraft had problems and had to squark 7700 as a fuel emergency.
It would perhaps be useful to get the facts on this rather than a Reach Group local rag that was then lifted by Simple Flying. Sadly I don't have any better information than those two (often flawed) sources.

On the subject of SQ at EMA there has been at least one 747 freighter through, shipping back 'toy' cars from some F1 race.

MANFOD
25th Jan 2024, 12:46
It was surprising if it was due to weather. Gusts of 30 kts had been reported on an earlier METAR but the latest weather was 260 at 20 kts and as you say, everything else was getting in.
He broke off the first approach at just under 2,000 ft and I wondered if there could be a technical issue. On the second approach he was down to 800 ft when he started to climb again.

After the long flight and 2 missed approaches, it was perhaps less of a surprise he was squawking 7700.if it was a fuel emergency, but I don't know if that was the reason.
It did reposition to MAN and departed about 4 hours late I believe.

pug
25th Jan 2024, 12:46
It would perhaps be useful to get the facts on this rather than a Reach Group local rag that was then lifted by Simple Flying. Sadly I don't have any better information than those two (often flawed) sources.

On the subject of SQ at EMA there has been at least one 747 freighter through, shipping back 'toy' cars from some F1 race.

Agreed, probably some reason known only to the company that they had to go-around twice and then divert. Lots of companies procedures only permit two attempts at the same airfield before requiring a diversion. Not an overly unusual occurrence at certain airports on lumps of rock in the Atlantic.

Simple Flying indeed, although I appreciate my comment doesn’t add much, there are lots of possible variables and most will be unknown to us.