PDA

View Full Version : Cataract Lens Selection?

RatherBeFlying
24th Jan 2024, 02:15
Many PPRuNers have had cataract ops and I would like to hear their experiences from a pilot's view.

My ophthalmologist has been muttering about cataracts for the last decade and lately oncoming headlights on two lane roads at night are showing starburst patterns. I'm off for preop ocular measurements in a couple days.

Multifocal intraocular lenses are frowned upon by aviation authorities because of halos and other effects. I'm perfectly happy to continue with eyeglasses and single focus IOLs.

​​​​​For distance, my eyes are correctable to 20/20 & 20/30. Hopefully afterwards my vision could be correctable to 20/15 in both eyes.

For around the house and reading music an arm's length away, I'd be happy with IOLs that let me do that without glasses. Presently I use glasses with a reduced correction.

Likely I'll need readers for close up work. Today I do without glasses for this.

CFD
24th Jan 2024, 20:13
I had cataract surgery about 18 months ago. The lens used were Johnson and Johnson eyehance. Prior to surgery eyes were deteriorating rapidly and over the course of 6 months I had about 3 different glasses made up but none could deal with the problems of focusing on intermediate and far distance.
You are right about the multi focal IOL,s..... after investigation I found these lenses are classified as monofocal IOL (while classed as monofocal manufacturer has done some magic with them and they act more like a multifocal) and after some arguments with CASA they were accepted as such (they were new to Australia and I found a surgeon that had previously used them on a Qantas pilot so that obviously strengthened my case) and 1 month after the second eye had been done I had my class 1 medical back. On doing my eyetests with the CASA DAME - he was pretty amazed at my results and said he wanted these lenses for himself.
Eye test results by surgeon post surgery after 3 weeks -
Vision RE (unaided) 6/6
Vision LE (unaided) 6/6;
Vision Both eyes open 6/5 (unaided)
Near vison both eyes N5 (unaided)
So, I am very pleased with them.
Far distance - great. Intermediate great. And for the first time in 10 years I don't need to wear glasses for reading in bright light anyway.... i do chose to still wear reading glasses when on computer.
Obviously risks as always with surgery - i believe these lenses also had reduced risk of halo at night, certainly I have had no issue.It would probably be sensible to contact your authorities to make sure acceptable for pilot certification.
As you are in Canada find attached
Johnson & Johnson Vision Launches TECNIS Synergy and TECNIS Eyhance Intraocular Lenses (IOLs) for the Treatment of Cataracts in Canada (jjvision.com) (https://www.jjvision.com/press-release/johnson-johnson-vision-launches-tecnis-synergy-and-tecnis-eyhance-intraocular-lenses)