PDA

View Full Version : Taxiway inspections

AnotherFSO
23rd Jan 2024, 06:03
I've just been watching an airport webcam, and the cars were out doing a runway inspection. Which made me think -- do they ever do formal taxiway inspections throughout the day for FOD etc too?

Obviously FOD on the runway poses a higher risk due to the speeds involved, and taxiway checks might be difficult to do, perhaps, in and amongst busy ground movements. But is it ever done, or do they just rely on everyone -- flight crew and all manner of airside staff -- keeping an eye out?

jumpseater
23rd Jan 2024, 07:53
I've just been watching an airport webcam, and the cars were out doing a runway inspection. Which made me think -- do they ever do formal taxiway inspections throughout the day for FOD etc too?

Obviously FOD on the runway poses a higher risk due to the speeds involved, and taxiway checks might be difficult to do, perhaps, in and amongst busy ground movements. But is it ever done, or do they just rely on everyone -- flight crew and all manner of airside staff -- keeping an eye out?

FOD is everyone’s responsibility to report and prevent. Airfield inspections are done regularly and include the manoeuvring areas, aprons and fence lines. Each airfield will have it’s own procedure.

AnotherFSO
23rd Jan 2024, 08:07
FOD is everyone’s responsibility to report and prevent. Airfield inspections are done regularly and include the manoeuvring areas, aprons and fence lines. Each airfield will have it’s own procedure.

Good'o, thanks, makes sense. I guess the runway inspections are obvious to see, whereas other such efforts might be hiding in plain sight.

Musket90
23rd Jan 2024, 20:51
In addition to inspecting taxiways routinely from a vehicle, walking inspections are carried out on a regular basis. These are more detailed and identify faults which may need planned maintenance. At larger airports the areas being walked are split into separate areas so one area is done at any one time with all of the areas being inspected over a specific time period.

chevvron
24th Jan 2024, 07:06
Airfield (not just taxiway) inspections are carried out routinely at least twice a day with extra inspections added such as prior to the commencement of night flying, after there has been a burst tyre or birdstrike, when a runway or taxiway is brought back into use after maintenance, any type of incident has taken place.
As jumpseater says above, each airfield will have its own procedure whether it's done by the aerodrome authority (civil) or by ATC (military). I remember at Glasgow we would be sent out every day for a PAPI/VASI check as well.