PDA

View Full Version : Historic Single Engine flight - In a twin

Seagull V
23rd Jan 2024, 03:44
My ailing memory seems to recall that, a long time ago, a Piper twin (PA23 Apache?) was flown across the USA on one engine only.
The flight was conducted in a number of stages and the inoperative prop was removed.
Despite my best Googling efforts, I cannot find any reference to this event.
Any clues please?
Seagull V

KRviator
23rd Jan 2024, 03:52
It happened with an Aero-Commander (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_Commander_500_family#:~:text=inspections.%5B12%5D-,Single,-%2Dengine%20safety%5B), but I can't recall hearing of an Apache or Aztec doing the same.

Peter Fanelli
23rd Jan 2024, 12:18
I have a vague recollection of a Piper Seneca taking off with one prop removed.
I think it was to demonstrate the added safety of a Robertson STOL conversion.

43Inches
23rd Jan 2024, 23:33
I have a vague recollection of a Piper Seneca taking off with one prop removed.
I think it was to demonstrate the added safety of a Robertson STOL conversion.

Hmm, Commanders, maybe Barons getting airborne on one engine might be possible, Seneca? If we are talking about the series 1, that can barely fly with both it's engines at high power... I think same goes for the Apache, must have been a 235 hp version, not the 160hp, Aztruck, its possible.

Peter Fanelli
24th Jan 2024, 09:08
Hmm, Commanders, maybe Barons getting airborne on one engine might be possible, Seneca? If we are talking about the series 1, that can barely fly with both it's engines at high power... I think same goes for the Apache, must have been a 235 hp version, not the 160hp, Aztruck, its possible.
Seneca II

Seagull V
25th Jan 2024, 07:37
Gentlefolk,
Thank you for the responses.
Looks like my memory is worse than I thought.
Seagull V