PDA

View Full Version : De-icing

albatross
20th Jan 2024, 13:01
Just curious.
Aside from the EC225 and S-92 which other civilian helicopters have de-icing systems that work?
Wasn’t the 76D supposed to have it as an option?
The 139 was also supposed to have a system also but haven’t heard of anyone using it.

Hot_LZ
20th Jan 2024, 14:12
UKSAR had/have De-Ice on their AW139 & AW189. From what I’ve heard the new 139 for Bristow will have IPS.

LZ

albatross
20th Jan 2024, 15:36
UKSAR had/have De-Ice on their AW139 & AW189. From what I’ve heard the new 139 for Bristow will have IPS.

LZ

I heard a vague unconfirmed rumour that the system installed on the 139 has significant penalties affecting the component life of the Main and TR blades. Perhaps due to the warming and cooling cycles.

SplineDrive
20th Jan 2024, 17:15
Bell has publicly done/announced that the 525 will have de-ice capabilities and showed photos of the 525 flying with the HISS test system. When the 525 gets certified and how long after the initial cert the icing system is certified and available, though, are fair questions.

HeliMannUK
23rd Jan 2024, 06:40
h175 is also going through the process of getting its FIPS (Full Icing Protection system) certified

xny556
23rd Jan 2024, 08:13
The AS 332L has ( had it some models used in Norway and Canada). I flew some in Romania for CHC on an Exxon contract out of Tusla to an exploration rig in the Black Sea a few years ago before the oil price crash and CHC Chapter 11.

noooby
23rd Jan 2024, 20:12
I heard a vague unconfirmed rumour that the system installed on the 139 has significant penalties affecting the component life of the Main and TR blades. Perhaps due to the warming and cooling cycles.

Different P/N for the FIPS Main and Tail blades compared to standard blades, with different constructon and different stresses. So the life limit is different too. As more of the blades approach retirement, the life may be increased.

Ammo Boiler
24th Jan 2024, 05:34
Different P/N for the FIPS Main and Tail blades compared to standard blades, with different constructon and different stresses. So the life limit is different too. As more of the blades approach retirement, the life may be increased.

The 70°C difference in operating temp will be the primary reasoning for the reduced limit.

The lives will have been determined and demonstrated by test, with articles heated to simulate the heater temps.
Unless those tests are still running, inservice items reaching retirement is a moot point.

casper64
24th Jan 2024, 05:45
Blackhawk & Apache have it… Chinook might as well… don’t know.

ARRAKIS
24th Jan 2024, 19:09
AH-64A had it but if I'm not mistaken, blade de-icing was removed on the AH-64D.

A.