PDA

View Full Version : BFR when covnerting ICAO to FAA?

bh99
19th Jan 2024, 20:07
Hi guys,

When converting an ICAO PPL to FAA Foreign-Based PPL is a BFR required or can you fly straight away in the US? If so could you point me to where this is stated. Some people are saying I need to complete a BFR in the US before flying, others say I do not.

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers

MarkerInbound
20th Jan 2024, 02:56
The reg 61.56 is pretty direct.

(c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has—

(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor; and

(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.
The (d) (e) and (g) exceptions are if you passed a checkride you’re good or you renewed your CFI you don’t have to do the one hour of ground training or if you’re a student pilot and signed off for solo. So you have to do something in an aircraft for it to count as a flight review. I recall that the FAA guidance for an examiner noted that the examiner should point out to the recipient of a based on certificate holder that they needed to complete a flight review prior to exercising the privileges of that certificate but I can’t find that guidance anymore.

LTCTerry
23rd Jan 2024, 12:36
It's not a BFR. It's a flight review. It's not biennial...

To be PIC you must have had a flight review under FAR 61.56, or equivalent credit.

"Conversion" does not require a current flight review if done under 61.75. That's the paperwork part. To actually fly the airplane requires 61.56 compliance. This could likely be done as part of a rental checkout - something that's going to be required anyway.

ICAO is not a country. If you have a license from an EASA nation you can use the new bilateral agreement to get an FAA certificate that is independent of the foreign one (unlike 61.75). This path requires a current flight review as part of the issuing process. And a written test. But gives you a "real" FAA certificate rather than a piggy back on.

Canada to US is easy. EASA to US is almost as easy. Anything else is either 1) 61.75 or 2) just get a real certificate by taking a written test, doing some prep/training, and passing a checkride (the checkride gives you 61.56 credit).