PDA

View Full Version : EASA and hangar doors

Maccass
17th Jan 2024, 11:43
Does any member here relate to the EASA regulation about heavy maintenance being conducted in an enclosed enviroment, meaning in a hangar that has doors?

Maccass
17th Jan 2024, 20:16
Does any member here relate to the EASA regulation about heavy maintenance being conducted in an enclosed enviroment, meaning in a hangar that has doors?
The reason I am asking is because the affected MRO's in Asia have been performing heavy maintenance in hangars without doors, and in my 25+ year experiance there have been no issues. So now the EASA registered operators have had to source their maintenance elsewhere....and guess what, both EASA and the FAA allow an MRO in Arizona to perform D checks outside on the line and during this time the aircraft has sustained damage due to bad weather.

LME (GOD)
23rd Jan 2024, 12:46
EASA 145.A.25....
Facilities are provided appropriate for all planned work, ensuring in particular, protection from the weather elements. Protection from the weather elements relates to the normal prevailing local weather elements that are expected throughout any twelve month period. Aircraft hangar and component workshop structures should prevent the ingress of rain, hail, ice, snow, wind and dust etc. Aircraft hangar and component workshop floors should be sealed to minimise dust generation.

Your 2nd post...provide proof as i don't believe this has occurred.

hassanizhar
24th Jan 2024, 10:15
Hi ,

Absolutely, EASA regulations regarding heavy maintenance in enclosed environments, specifically hangars with doors, are crucial for ensuring aircraft safety and compliance. It's essential to maintain a controlled environment to prevent external elements from affecting the maintenance process. In line with this, environmental awareness is naturally intertwined with these regulations. Consider incorporating environmental awareness training for your team, emphasizing sustainable practices and waste reduction within the hangar environment. Platforms like Human Focus, iHASCO, and others provide valuable courses that align with both EASA regulations and fostering an environmentally conscious approach to aircraft maintenance.

Diff Tail Shim
25th Jan 2024, 00:26
. Basic aircraft safety.

Exup
27th Jan 2024, 16:00
Please provide evidence that anybody performs D checks outside on the line, irrespective of the regulations which MRO would attempt this & which operator would accept it.

DHC4
1st Feb 2024, 05:15
I don't think they are talking about conducting heavy maintenance in an area were line maintenance would normally take place. A few hangars have had additions added to house the rear fuse/tail plane, meaning they are enclosed.

dixi188
1st Feb 2024, 13:47
Back in the '90s, there were quite a few majors done outside in the NE corner of Miami, and I saw a DC-8 cargo conversion done with just a tent over the work area at Macon GA.
I had a situation in the UK a few years back when we needed to remove the horizontal stabilizer of a BAe 146. There was not enough headroom in the hangar for the crane so we pushed the aircraft outside to do the lift. The QA department had an input as to our plans and agreed providing the weather was good. Same again a few weeks later to re-fit the stab.