PDA

View Full Version : Prescribed Single Engine Aircraft - what really is it

leocarp
16th Jan 2024, 06:30
May get flack for this, but I've been trying to understand what a prescribed single engine aircraft is with regard to Part 135 but I can't wrap my head around it. Could someone please explain it to me?

Thank you

Requestcode
16th Jan 2024, 18:09
135.240 Prescribed single-engine aeroplanes
(1) This regulation applies to a prescribed single-engine
aeroplane that conducts:
(a) an IFR flight; or
(b) a VFR flight at night.
(2) The aeroplane operator’s exposition must include
procedures for the matters prescribed by the Part 135
Manual of Standards for the purposes of this
subregulation.
(3) A single-engine aeroplane is a prescribed single-
engine aeroplane if it is of a kind prescribed by the
Part 135 Manual of Standards for the purposes of this
subregulation.

long story short it’s a Single Engine aircraft doing passenger carrying IFR air transport operations. IFR Air transport ops are typically only permitted in Multi engine aircraft. The operator needs an approval and procedures in place. Only a few aircraft have been approved mainly being PT6 powered aeroplanes like the C208, PC12, TBM and I think the Cirrus Jet too.

KRviator
16th Jan 2024, 20:34
Used to be called ASETPA, here's the latest AC (https://www.casa.gov.au/prescribed-single-engine-aeroplanes) on it, gives a little more info about the operational aspects too. Couldn't find the current list of approved airframes with a quick search though.

compressor stall
16th Jan 2024, 20:36
It used to be called something like AESTA or similar before the rules changed. Can’t remember due to ALS (Acronym Lassitude Syndrome).

As above. Some turbine engined singles with specific maintenance practices and operating techniques are considered as safe as twins for night and IFR pax carriage.

edit- snap. Thanks KR!

leocarp
16th Jan 2024, 23:36
Thanks all for the info, much appreciated. It makes sense now.

leocarp
17th Jan 2024, 00:31
Cheers everyone for the reply. I understand the concept a lot better now :)