PDA

View Full Version : DC-7 AA NYC to LAX

RatherBeFlying
12th Jan 2024, 22:14
This is a mid 50s promo showing old technology that has passed on. Interestingly the crew decided to change to VFR once at cruising altitude of 20,000. There was also a speed brake option where the MLG only could be dropped at higher than (including nose) gear lowering speed.

For IT folks, we see the "Reservator" (if I got it right) and buckets full of paper tape (still around in my early IT days.

I remember paxing in one aged 10 or so LAX Midway.

https://youtu.be/g8Z-p9F96yk?si=_eu0eWsnf6O35aUu

thnarg
13th Jan 2024, 12:09
I enjoyed that, RatherBe, and didn’t know about the speedbrake either. Cancelling IFR mid-cruise seems rather adventurous, although the sky is bigger over there of course. Question for old gits who flew those big pistons: what’s the “2-4-6 switch” call during engine start?

eckhard
13th Jan 2024, 13:56
Prop blades seen before turning on magnetos?

India Four Two
13th Jan 2024, 14:33
Yes, counting eight blades to ensure there is no hydraulic lock due to oil in a cylinder.

Geriaviator
13th Jan 2024, 16:04
Best pulled through by hand first as starter with trolleyacc might cause damage. A job dreaded by the lads in Khormaksar (Aden) in 1950, it was some job pulling three full rotations of each of the mighty Centaurus in a Brigand. I suppose the Hercules in BOAC's HP Hermes were just as enervating, and I wonder how they pulled over prop blades on the Sunderland?

thnarg
13th Jan 2024, 21:56
Thanks for the info, chaps (from an old git who has only started turbines in his career).

bean
14th Jan 2024, 01:19
This is a mid 50s promo showing old technology that has passed on. Interestingly the crew decided to change to VFR once at cruising altitude of 20,000. There was also a speed brake option where the MLG only could be dropped at higher than (including nose) gear lowering speed.

For IT folks, we see the "Reservator" (if I got it right) and buckets full of paper tape (still around in my early IT days.

I remember paxing in one aged 10 or so LAX Midway.

https://youtu.be/g8Z-p9F96yk?si=_eu0eWsnf6O35aUu
Read the Grand Canyon mid air report, Standard procedure USA at the time. Easy to find on google

judyjudy
14th Jan 2024, 01:23
I think he called it “Reservisor”

Jhieminga
14th Jan 2024, 14:03
Best pulled through by hand first as starter with trolleyacc might cause damage. A job dreaded by the lads in Khormaksar (Aden) in 1950, it was some job pulling three full rotations of each of the mighty Centaurus in a Brigand. I suppose the Hercules in BOAC's HP Hermes were just as enervating, and I wonder how they pulled over prop blades on the Sunderland?
On the starter, as they do on a lot of large radials. There is a shear pin in a direct drive starter that will let go if a hydraulic lock is encountered. If you have an inertia starter, with a flywheel in it, it is best to pull the prop through by hand first.