PDA

View Full Version : Cathay hiring DESOs again????

skychief1994
12th Jan 2024, 18:19
Has anyone heard recently that CX is about to restart hiring DESOs again?

meowtofly
15th Jan 2024, 05:52
That is not the case. They are desperate for FO & Captian only.
New cadet graduates have to work as ground staff for 2 months due to lack of senior pilots to train them. A backlog of cadets waiting for their SO training.

cruisepower
29th Jan 2024, 09:58
Looks like recruitment for SO is back on the table. 2 of my colleagues got an email for video interviews.

Zi Peng
29th Jan 2024, 16:46
Friend spoke to HR and was told they are looking at experienced DESOs for short courses; it doesn’t ‘ make sense with the current huge training backlog and a few other things but that is what he has been told. Probably forget it unless you are a HKer .

cruisepower
29th Jan 2024, 16:52
Friend spoke to HR and was told they are looking at experienced DESOs for short courses; it doesn’t ‘ make sense with the current huge training backlog and a few other things but that is what he has been told. Probably forget it unless you are a HKer .

You are correct only those with some experience are getting an invite and that include foreigners as well.

cxflog
29th Jan 2024, 20:43
You are correct only those with some experience are getting an invite and that include foreigners as well.
Can confirm, friend of mine got an email back from the application they had sent in 4 years ago (pre covid) for an online interview. They have 3k TT and 1k+ 320 time.

They’re not interested for obvious reasons but strange that CX is sending out SO interview opportunities when they still have cadets in the pipeline.

dingodyle
30th Jan 2024, 01:57
CX management have proved to the world they are morons so anything is possible really. Surprised as it goes away from their China policy direction, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

legendhasit
30th Jan 2024, 08:02
I also got an interview , covid era I applied, also have experience

Zi Peng
30th Jan 2024, 18:52

Joda has finally applied !

joblessPilot
30th Jan 2024, 20:54

what kind of experience are we talking about here? Jets or pistons?

legendhasit
30th Jan 2024, 21:49
what kind of experience are we talking about here? Jets or pistons?
No piston time just Turbine and Jets

AviatorPac
31st Jan 2024, 02:19
No piston time just Turbine and Jets

Is the interview for DEFO or SO?

Meursault
31st Jan 2024, 04:39
Joda has finally applied !

That's funny:-))

cruisepower
31st Jan 2024, 05:16
I also applied during the covid Era and have experience. Back then I had only turbine and piston time but now I have stable jet job and I won't be going ahead with the application.

Golden_kiwi
13th Feb 2024, 23:05
Hi folks, has anyone completed the online interview recently? Any tech question involved? Cheer.

ZootBoot
14th Feb 2024, 01:36
Hi folks, has anyone completed the online interview recently? Any tech question involved? Cheer.

GK, I have been facilitating some of the video interviews for new DESO's and DEFO's as I have previous experience working with mentally handicapped children. The best way to describe it, its kind of a 'getting to know you exercise' that looks at several areas, including tech, to check that you have the qualities of a Cathay Pacific Junior pilot.

Example Tech Questions

Do you know what a wing is?
Can you spell the word 'flap'?
What size propellors are on the B777-300ER? (note: this is a trick question)

Example IQ Questions

Can you touch your nose?
Can you use crayons to colour whilst staying inside the lines?
Did you eat the crayon?

Example HR Questions

Are you interested in flying as a career, or this just a stepping stone for social media?
Have you ever taken psychotropic substances or opioids?
Are you sure, because you applied for a job here?

SIDS N STARS
14th Feb 2024, 07:45
You forgot the behavioural questions.

Example behavioural questions

1) You wake up one morning to an email from the company which contains a revised Employee Handbook, which basically outlines the terms and conditions of your employment. In this revised handbook, it says the target hours for your fleet have increased to 70 hours, meaning any productivity will be single figures at best. What are you going to do?

2) Also in this handbook, to help alleviate the crew shortage, there's a revised policy, crew can only log time in the seat, (like GCAA) meaning all your L/H flights will be at half pay. What do you think about that?

3) You come home from a trip, your wife is excited to see you. She tells you that she's pregnant, but you had a vasectomy over a year ago. What are you going to do?

4) You've made your way up through the ranks. You're now a CPT. One day you're flying along and to create some sort of converstion to pass the time, the F/O asks "Do you and your wife still live in XXX?" Only you've never met this F/O before and never told him where you lived. What will you do?

Progress Wanchai
14th Feb 2024, 08:14
CRM question.

How will you handle sitting next to a crew member who has not lifted a finger against management in the four years this handbook has been changing?
How do you feel that he’d rather count his MPS (Minuscule Pieces of Silver) rather than fight for appropriate remuneration and a meaningful lifestyle?
How will you inform him that pilots the world over are using a rare window of leverage to improve their conditions while cx pilots are uniquely doing nothing?
How will you react when a colleague is blaming management or the company for their substandard employment conditions when the reality is they have no one to blame but themselves?

ZootBoot
14th Feb 2024, 09:26
3) You come home from a trip, your wife is excited to see you. She tells you that she's pregnant, but you had a vasectomy over a year ago. What are you going to do?

Well that’s an easy one, join management.

Bekol delay
14th Feb 2024, 17:40
Well that’s an easy one, join management.

Better to be safe than sorry. Safety group you could say.

CRWCRW
15th Feb 2024, 03:43
😅

keep them coming lads

Meursault
15th Feb 2024, 06:23
On a scale of 1-10, how ridiculous would you rank the hypocrits that work for us telling you not to join?

SIDS N STARS
15th Feb 2024, 06:55
You've just arrived in LHR, with Meursault in your ear for the last 15 hours. Why are you doing this, why are you doing that, why, why, why, why? How long after you arrive at the hotel before you call in sick for the return flight?

On a scale of 1-10, how ridiculous would you rank the hypocrits that work for us telling you not to join?

Because dear old chum, some people don't have the rights to live or work anywhere other than HK. They can't pack up and move to EU, AU, US, etc.. Whatever CX offers them is as good its going to get for some. They're just saying "buyer beware".. A- Scale isn't coming back so consider your options before you commit to anything.

Meursault
15th Feb 2024, 09:13
How ignorant of you not to see that the very same arguments for staying are valid for joining just as well. Passport or lack of experience as main factors, obviously.

Additionally you are clearly not just saying "buyers beware" to applicants, you are mocking them.

qwerty009
15th Feb 2024, 12:30
did you got any questions ? how the interview like ?any tech ques ? thanks ^^

SIDS N STARS
15th Feb 2024, 12:48
[QUOTE=SIDS N STARS;11597523]You've just arrived in LHR, with Meursault in your ear for the last 15 hours. Why are you doing this, why are you doing that, why, why, why, why? How long after you arrive at the hotel before you call in sick for the return flight?

I don't think i could wait until I got to the hotel. I think i'd be sending an ACARS at top of descent or maybe a WhatsApp before leaving the bunk...

Apreaze
5th Mar 2024, 21:24
I had my initial interview in Feb and it was just some simple HR questions nothing tricky. Last approx 45 mins, no tech questions at all, checked my passport and Vac card, got the result for final the same day evening.

Skipper.z
13th Mar 2024, 09:26
They're officially hiring again, details now up on website.

pparj
13th Mar 2024, 13:48
I had my initial interview in Feb and it was just some simple HR questions nothing tricky. Last approx 45 mins, no tech questions at all, checked my passport and Vac card, got the result for final the same day evening.
Good to hear it went well. Is the sim ride next for you?

Apreaze
18th Mar 2024, 16:51
Good to hear it went well. Is the sim ride next for you?

Hi sorry didn't see message.

Yes I had my initial interview on the 14th Feb, result came out the same day around 2030 UTC+8, then 2 days of final assessment in a month.

In the mean time, they will send you a couple of emails for other thins like documents and psychometric assessment.

For final assessment:

Day 1
SIM
preliminary document check
HKCAD medical check

Day 2
Panel interview
HKCAD conversion document check
ICAO English assessment

You will have to pass the SIM check in order to move on to the followings, we had 60% wash out rate, I would say SIM assessment is the key for this stage.

joblessPilot
18th Mar 2024, 20:49

Yes I had my initial interview on the 14th Feb, result came out the same day around 2030 UTC+8, then 2 days of final assessment in a month.

In the mean time, they will send you a couple of emails for other thins like documents and psychometric assessment.

For final assessment:

Day 1
SIM
HKCAD medical check

Day 2
Panel interview
ICAO English assessment

You will have to pass the SIM check in order to move on to the followings, we had 60% wash out rate, I would say SIM assessment is the key for this stage.

So what is the sim profile?

pparj
18th Mar 2024, 22:52

For final assessment:

Day 1
SIM
HKCAD medical check

Day 2
Panel interview
ICAO English assessment

Thanks for the reply. They sent an email to me to fill out a form for my hours. Told me to wait if im short listed.

Do you emember specific questions they asked?

iBlueGoose
19th Mar 2024, 03:47
What questions did they ask in the Panel Interview?

For final assessment:

Day 1
SIM
HKCAD medical check

Day 2
Panel interview
ICAO English assessment

djsdodo
19th Mar 2024, 09:56
Regarding the psychometric assess:
- which platform have you used to prepare?
- to be performed before the final assessment in hong kong?

lucian6
19th Mar 2024, 14:23
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a response from them after application?

pparj
19th Mar 2024, 22:03
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a response from them after application?
​​Mine was about 2 days. She had me fill out a form which breaks down my hours into P1, P1US, P2, Night and Instruments. After I sent the form, she said she'll get back to me if I'm short

Apreaze
19th Mar 2024, 23:09
So what is the sim profile?

They will send you the profile approx 2 weeks before the date, SO is simple, 2 patters, one GA one landing, raw data.

Skippy69
19th Mar 2024, 23:10
Where you offered to bring partners along? To have a look around Hong Kong together? See if it's a right fit?

Apreaze
19th Mar 2024, 23:10
Thanks for the reply. They sent an email to me to fill out a form for my hours. Told me to wait if im short listed.

Do you emember specific questions they asked?

For panel, each of us got different question, really based on our experience, mine was 90% scenario based questions, mostly related to typhoon or wind shear.

Apreaze
19th Mar 2024, 23:13

Not sure what platform, and it was before the final assessment, all psychological questions for working behaviors.

Apreaze
19th Mar 2024, 23:14
Where you offered to bring partners along? To have a look around Hong Kong together? See if it's a right fit?

Not my case, and I didn't hear from anyone had done this.

raven11
20th Mar 2024, 11:08
“Where you offered to bring partners along? To have a look around Hong Kong together? See if it's a right fit?”

Lambs are like the poster child for innocence and gentleness. They are totally harmless to other creatures.

“Lambs to the slaughter” is a metaphor to anyone taking advantage or exploiting someone who does not understand what is about to happen to them.

They are also in the food chain of many carnivores, to include humans. And when we take this gentle innocent creature to be butchered for food, it doesn’t fight for it’s life, because it doesn’t grasp what is about to happen to it.

pparj
22nd Mar 2024, 06:40
For panel, each of us got different question, really based on our experience, mine was 90% scenario based questions, mostly related to typhoon or wind shear.
How about for the initial interview? Do you remember the exact questions?

V1rotateup
23rd Mar 2024, 00:40
Anyone done the final assessment and heard back ?

SandyourDay
23rd Mar 2024, 19:19
All of Question in initial interview is non technical.
Such as :
- why hongkong ?
- why cathay ?
- cathay fleet ?
- route
- expected place to living

HeadUpTheTailpipe
25th Mar 2024, 10:44
Another two questions;

- when is the last time that you had your head examined by a professional?
- have you suffered a blow to the head at any point?

mngmt mole
26th Mar 2024, 01:49
SandyourDay. I'll answer those questions:

1) because you will get to live in one of the most rapidly developing tyrannical dictatorships
2) because you wish to work for one of the worst employers in the industry
3) you have no idea of fleet. they will tell you one thing and you will likely end up on another
4) whatever they decide you do. can change at a minutes notice, and your pay will reduce accordingly if the scheduled trip is less than originally planned
5) you will be able to afford a 400 sq/ft apartment in a questionable part of town
6) my bonus points: you will live slightly better than a Kowloon bus driver

Facts

Climbpowder
27th Mar 2024, 00:34
SandyourDay. I'll answer those questions:

1) because you will get to live in one of the most rapidly developing tyrannical dictatorships
2) because you wish to work for one of the worst employers in the industry
3) you have no idea of fleet. they will tell you one thing and you will likely end up on another
4) whatever they decide you do. can change at a minutes notice, and your pay will reduce accordingly if the scheduled trip is less than originally planned
5) you will be able to afford a 400 sq/ft apartment in a questionable part of town
6) my bonus points: you will live slightly better than a Kowloon bus driver

Facts

Just to name a few...because nothing is enough...

https://www.crikey.com.au/2024/02/14/qantas-pilots-network-aviation-vanessa-hudson-strike/
https://www.businessinsider.com/travel-chaos-toxic-culture-pilots-flights-emirates-safety-2022-7?op=1
https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/01/crewmembers-accuse-qatar-airways-of-labor-exploitation-and-unsafe-practices/
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/29/air-travel-chaos-pilots-describe-toxic-culture-and-airline-errors.html

Sidharth86
31st Mar 2024, 04:08
They will send you the profile approx 2 weeks before the date, SO is simple, 2 patters, one GA one landing, raw data.

Any particular fleet or just a random fleet for sim?

Sidharth86
31st Mar 2024, 04:13

I have heard PASS is a good platform for aptitude, psychometric etc
www.pilotassessments.com

Sidharth86
31st Mar 2024, 04:15

when is your final assessment if I may ask?

leena666
22nd Apr 2024, 23:57
Hello just wondering if there’s any WhatsApp group for DESO application/ discussion?

I used to be in one but couldn’t find it after reinstalling my WhatsApp . Please inbox me if you have info, thanks

_Unable
1st May 2024, 16:17
For the DESO positions, are there employment contracts like the US? Nearly all Part 135 in the US requires a "training" contract, meaning if you leave before x years or x hours, you'll be liable for upwards of USD 50k.

Climbpowder
3rd May 2024, 00:15
Just wondering if any DESO got recently hired... I heard HK gov is not issuing work visas for DESO anymore:eek:

AviatorPac
3rd May 2024, 01:50
Just wondering if any DESO got recently hired... I heard HK gov is not issuing work visas for DESO anymore:eek:
I'll bite... where did you hear this and have you got more info about it?

joblessPilot
6th May 2024, 08:37
Anyone done the psychometric test? Is it cut e or compass ?