PDA

View Full Version : Expats in Nepal ?

Kev Rivkin
3rd Sep 2002, 14:14
Does Nepal have an active policy to discourage expat pilots, or is it the usual case of company sponsership to meet work visa requirements ? What % of pilots are expats.

I know that the tourism market has fallen in a heap, plus the Maoist guerillas have taken to blowing up ATC facilities in an effort to reduce air transport, and those two factors would count against expat employment.

The things I do know about the place are that its all turbine (Twatter, B1900, Y12) and time on type is needed.

If anyone working in Nepal can answer the question I would much appreciate.

Regards Kev

middlepath
5th Sep 2002, 07:11
I think people in general are very friendly to expats. Moaist problem is domestic politics and nothing to do with expat, so far no expats are harmed.

There are many expats working in development aid projects, in flying almost nil. Historically nepal never had more than couple of expat pilots (that is many years back).

There are several private airlines runing Twin Otter, Do228,KingAir, Cessna caravan, ATR,Dash8 ect. If you have heaps of experience in high terrian mountain flying on STOL field in special vfr operation with marginal WX, then that is the place to go. Pay depends on your experience and experties in above operation, about USD 3000/month.

You can try yeti airlines,Kathmandu.

Cypher
18th Sep 2002, 02:55
No active policy I saw..

But Sept 11 and the Marxist have really hit the tourism industry hard over there... hence hitting alot of airlines hard over there.

Gravox
23rd Sep 2002, 05:01
Cypher have you had much luck in this area? Is it worth pursueing?

Cypher
23rd Sep 2002, 11:42
sorry none.. it's like trying to push the preverbal runny variety uphill with a rake...

Industry has been hit real hard over there... so I've been told by my old boss...