PDA

View Full Version : Constantly being logged out ?

Uplinker
12th Jan 2024, 11:33
I have a question:

When I use Pprune, I am repeatedly logged out by the forum, and I just wondered why this was and what causes this?

So, I open the forum, and log in, but frequently when I try to reply to something and press submit, the log-in page comes up and I have to put in my forum name and password again. This happens multiple times. (But on very rare occasions, I stay logged in for my whole session). There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Before you ask, I deny most cookies except essential ones, and I do not click on "keep me logged-in", for security reasons.

I am not having a moan, (although it is a PITA), I am just curious to know what process is deciding to randomly keep logging me out all the time, and why - is it too many users at once or supposed inactivity or what ?

Saab Dastard
12th Jan 2024, 12:47
Before you ask, I deny most cookies except essential ones, and I do not click on "keep me logged-in", for security reasons.
I would suggest that "there's your problem", as they say.

I've checked your account and there is nothing non-standard about it, so the problem is almost certainly at your end. There's no process that logs you out while logged in for server load, but 1 hour of inactivity (3600 seconds) will terminate the login session. Note that typing into the editor doesn't count as "activity", until you interact with the server again by pressing "Submit". If you have "keep me logged-in" selected, then the re-login is transparent and it appears that you have never logged out (or been logged out).

Uplinker
12th Jan 2024, 17:54
Thank you. I will just have to live with it then. Very often though, I log in again to submit a post, or to read something on Jet Blast, and literally minutes later, I have to log in again, again......! Very weird. (Using Apple iPad or iPhone).

Uplinker
18th Feb 2024, 10:48
This morning, I logged in, then wrote a reply on Jet Blast and pressed submit - took about 10 mins max.

Yet, when I pressed submit, it said I wasn't logged in - it had logged me out in just 10 mins.

Could it be my iPad doing something odd, or my Wi-Fi ?

Pprune is a pretty good site from a user point of view, but it would be nice to find the reason - other websites viewed on the same device don't keep dropping my log-in.

jimjim1
19th Feb 2024, 12:08
and I do not click on "keep me logged-in", for security reasons.

You are using a pseudonym, you will be using a throwaway password. Pprune use involves no financial transactions.

I am curious about your security concerns. I can see no reason to avoid Keep me Logged in. Unless you are sharing your computer's user account I guess.

I certainly wouldn't want the family accessing my posts in the Red Light Districts Near the Airport forum.