PDA

View Full Version : Actually Working ??

ravenx
3rd Sep 2002, 14:06
now I know there have been loads and loads of posts re eyesight. I also know that there has been loads and loads of talk regarding laser surgery. So, before anyone thinks I am asking the usual - Im not. I've already had the surgery (had I know I could get an initial with -3 and then renwals down to -5 I wouldn 't have bothered but thats by the by).

Having had the surgery I now have an unrestricted JAA Class 1 but that's not the end of it - in the same that having a frozen JAA ATPL and all the shiny ratings isn't the end of the job search.

Is there anyone actually out there who has suceeded in finding paid employment as a commercial pilot having had laser surgery. I get the impression that some airlines can be a little picky about this.

My other question is - can they be picky. Is this not a form of discrimination. If you have a class 1 then you have a class 1 and as there is no evidence to suggest that people who have undergone laser surgery are any more likely to have after effects, no more in fact than people are likely to develop glaucoma, detached retina, cateracts etc etc. can they really refuse to employ you on those grounds ??

Your thoughts please